what pistons to run with set up??a bit of help

-
It can be done, I run 9.7 measured compression on 87 octane in my truck. That's with shallow open chambers (no quench), a short duration cam, and aggressive advance curve. Careful chamber prep, cold plugs, proper jetting and oil control all help. At 2800 MSL, I have elevation on my side as well.
I have built a few for locals with comp above 9.5 to1 ,no special chamber prep,plugs that live on the street,without quench and no issues for daily driving or T&T,bracket racing. I wouldn't do the same in a 4000lb,.3.23 geared,stock converter application. Too many variables to make a blanket statement. It's all in the COMBO. Yes,I'm very close to sea level.

Why not forget the 302 heads and use a set of magnum heads? Much better option.

Why not forget the 302 heads and use a set of magnum heads? Much better option.

IMO, a lot depends on the level of the build. (Power sought after)
While on the surface, the Magnum head sounds good for a lot of high powered options, the question still begs, at what point is this head a favorable option to use over a iron head, in this case, a ported 302.

Also, it i a price of conversion with the Magnum heads if this applies to a "LA" engine at current time of build, as well as the over all cost vs a ported 302.
Even if it is a regular Edel. head being used.

Lets take price out of the problem. Lets just look at the head itself. And to further level the field, make them both aluminum or iron heads. Yes, a Iron version of the Edelbrock head. Imagine this.

What your left with is port size & shape, valve size.

Which one will fit the engine better?
Will the smaller port one port out well and be a benefit to the engine over the other head?

Ladies and Gents, OUCH! Sorry this went quick and got away from me. I'll clean this up in a little bit.

-
Back