What Products are Needed in the A-body world?

-
Thanks again guys. So basically, Duster/Demon/Dart Sport are one wheel base, and the Dart/Scamp/Valiants another wheelbase. This would mean subframe connectors would need to be two different lengths correct? I cannot find ANYTHING that is semi local to me...this site, Moparts, CL, etc...nothing yet.
03Ram...sounds like a hell of a project. I wish we were closer...we could definitely work something out. Any info on what cars that friend of yours has? Any pictures? Let me know. Thanks!
Kyle
[email protected]

He has about 2 acres of cars and parts. I got my duster from him. Let me find his info and get his approval and I'll send you his info.

Thanks again guys. So basically, Duster/Demon/Dart Sport are one wheel base, and the Dart/Scamp/Valiants another wheelbase.

Not quite. There are four different A-body wheelbases:

'60-'62 Valiant, Lancer: 106½"
'63-'66 Valiant, '63-'66 Dart wagon, '64-'66 Barracuda: 106"
'63-'76 Dart, including Swinger, except wagon, Demon, & Sport: 111"
'71-'72 Demon, '73-'76 Dart Sport: 108"
'67-'73 Valiant, except Scamp: 108"
'71-'76 Scamp: 111"
'70-'76 Duster: 108"

Not quite. There are four different A-body wheelbases:

'60-'62 Valiant, Lancer: 106½"
'63-'66 Valiant, '63-'66 Dart wagon, '64-'66 Barracuda: 106"
'63-'76 Dart, including Swinger, except wagon, Demon, & Sport: 111"
'71-'72 Demon, '73-'76 Dart Sport: 108"
'67-'73 Valiant, except Scamp: 108"
'71-'76 Scamp: 111"
'70-'76 Duster: 108"

Sorry I left out the early cars. :D

X2

Correct outer Rocker Panels. I have a set of replacement rocker panels for my 69 cuda and they have no radius (the large outer surface is flat) and the curvature in the bends are way off as well. Everything else I have looked at seems to be the same.:salut:

Yes! The rockers rust out at the trailing edge of the doors on all the 2 door 67-76 A-bodies, and I believe that part would be the same for all those years, yet I can't find a good one for my 68 Barracuda convertible.
AMD has a ton of reproduction sheet metal coming out, but not the rockers for A bodies.

I have been thinking it would be a great idea if there was another company out there that made newer tubular K members at more reasonable prices. I know there is no way they can be nearly as expensive to build as they are charging so there has to be a pretty decent mark up on them. I think if the price on them was a lot more reasonable then a huge amount of people would buy them. Magnumforce and Alterkation both make a good looking product and I am planning on putting an Alterkation in my car eventually that is if someone doesn't come out with something better before I get there.

Thanks
Jeff

Welcome Kyle, and thanks! Looks like some SUPER nice work on those wheelie bars, I wish my welds were half that pretty! :) I wish I still had a parts car laying around, does anyone have one we can give to this guy to get him started?

I didn't see it mentioned but the dreaded Torsion mount. You know the crossmember by the transmission that also hold the torsion bar that seems to rot out.

Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming. im trying like heck to get a car to get some of this stuff started. Just saw a 70 Dart...its 2 1/2 hours away, but if i can get it cheap, Ill make the trip.
Thanks again.

some more choices for 14 " tires, and wheels..........BFG used to market a 14" drag radial but discontinued it 10 years or more ago. my rear tire now is a hoosier quick times 26" tall 8.5" wide on 14" rim.,,,,,,,,,,,,

NO doubt the rear sill plates for Dusters and Demons etc. You cannot find rear sills that aren't rotted out, bent up or just plain destroyed. The front rocker sill plates are available but no rears. Also radio delete plates, the NOS ones for rallye dashes are alot of money for a square piece of plastic.

I may be wrong but I think he's leaning more to the parts nessesary to make it big bolt pattern and fit some big tires under the back and make it stop good,one poster had mentioned the bushings for the upper ball joint so you dont have to look for the proper ones.....so in that thought I would like to see a ball joint...not a bushing....build us a ball joint for the disk brake swap!!!! then a driveshaft safety loop that bolts on to the factory crossmember bolts. then a pinion snubber that is adjusted with a screw action rather than a pin....... weld on lower control arm trusses....weld on lower control arm mounts for sway bars....steering couplers to switch from power to manual steering.....coil over kits that work with the stock k member.....shock plates and u bolts for an 8 3/4 swap....at an affordable price.....
Well, reproducing parts is fine, but be perpared to deal with licence issues, from chrysler, as there known for going after the little guy using there name, etc. A friend of mine got shut down just for making and marketing mopar videos, and chrysler's lawyers were not happy about it!

Building an early a bracket car is more challenging than the later a bodies. To use a 727 trans, you have to mod the trans tunnel. How about a about a pre-fabbed weld-in tunnel to install a 727 if a guy wants to do it?
A back-half kit for an early a would be awesome. I'm one of the only 2 bracket racers at my local track with a early a. They are great race cars, they just need some support for modification to drag race. I would love to back-half mine someday and and I would like it if was easy as back-halfing an early nova!

Remember the engine mounting points on the K is different for the rubber sandwiched style and spool type mounts (I think 73 is the transition year)

Perhaps 3 link kits?

Ca someone please explain why you would use a 3 link in plce of a 4? Not to offend,but there are actually tech articles at big block dart on how to make a 3 link and I just never got why?

-
Back