What rearend do I have?

-

coryepperson

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart swinger. I know that I want an 8 3/4 from everything that I have been told by family, friends, and just about everybody that knows more about it then me. If it helps I have some info on from off of mine now.

134 26

And there are 10 bolts to holt the pumpkin.
Is there anyone out there that can tell me what I have?

Thanks Everyone

Probably an 8 1/4. The 7.25 is only 9 bolts. Do you have a picture?

Edit: Ah, duster beat me to it. Great diagram, duster.

Ill work on getting the pic to verify but Ill tell you that Mine looks exactly like the 8 3/4. Thanks yellow for the constructive criticism im finding that pics are a must. Dusterific that diagram is a perfect tool for my question.

The guy that owned the car before me had a 383 in it and had done some changing on it already so Im trying to figure out where im at to put my 440 in it.

That 741 number is likely the pumpkin casting number for an 8.75 rear.

Yeah the 741 and 742 are both the casting numbers for a 8.75 rear end. Thats a really good diagram above. the 8.75 is the only rear end that has a sealed back of the pumpkin

The 741 casting is the 8.75" rear end with the smallest pinion, but still plenty strong for mild builds. The downside of the 741 case (besides the smaller pinion) is the fact that there are few aftermarket performance gears for them.

bolts pointing towards the front of the car= 8 3/4, bolts pointing towards the back= the other 4 rear ends:-D

-
Back