What size spacer best for heat soak slant 6 Carter

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I am having issues with hot start on my 63 dart with a 170 slant 6. I am guessing it's heat soak. Cold start is good. Once running it's good. If you start it right away after shot of it's good too. It's only really an issue if it sits 5 minutes or more after shut off when warm.

All my reading leads me to think it's heat soak. Running regular gas right now.

I am thinking of trying a carb spacer to see if it helps. What thickness is best? 1/4" or 1/2"? Also can someone tell me what the bore size and bolt spacing is for the Carter carb on a 170 slant six? If my research is right I'm thinking 1.70 center bore with 2.95 or 2 15/16" center to center. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

If you have the clearance, a 1/2 is great. IMO, I’d make it a two hole spacer. Wood is best, phenolic resin is very good, aluminum, not so much.

Ok. Couple questions. I can get a 1/2" no problem(have to check hood clearance), but I have a manifold mounted choke rod. How will raising the carb that much affect the choke? Also will it cause any issues with the throttle linkage? I know I will have to adjust the kick down. I don't think for that long of a rod it should be an issue. Mainly thinking of the choke. Will I need to make a spacer for that?

Also, 2 hole spacer? It's only a one barrel carb.

There's a guy on feebay (a regular member on the /6 site as well) that sells a phenolic spacer for a BBD that's about the same thickness as the "thick" fiber gasket that used to be used with these carbs as stock. He's "badvert65" on the /6 site, everything he sells on feebay ends in "$xx.65". (the partial dollar, the "change" part of his price is always 65 cents

Ok. Couple questions. I can get a 1/2" no problem(have to check hood clearance), but I have a manifold mounted choke rod. How will raising the carb that much affect the choke?
You’ll need to lengthen the choke rod
Also will it cause any issues with the throttle linkage?
I know I will have to adjust the kick down. I don't think for that long of a rod it should be an issue. Mainly thinking of the choke. Will I need to make a spacer for that?
Any time you move away from stock there can be a challenge to re adjust the set up.
Also, 2 hole spacer? It's only a one barrel carb.
I was thinking of a two barrel when I stated that.

Me too since somewhere higher up in there it said "Carter" though I know many /6s came with 1 bbl Carter's but it's been a long time since I've seen anything but a Holley 1 bbl on a /6...

Do you also have the metal deflector plate installed between the intake and exhaust manifold? It helps keep the exhaust heat from directly hitting the intake.

Use the 5/16" thick carb base gasket with grommetted mount stud holes; Walker № G850 or equivalent. Hard to find at retail any more; see if The Carburetor Shop will sell you one.

Do the fuel line mod, which helps a lot with this kind of hot-fuel issue.

Make sure your manifold heat control valve is free—not stuck—and working correctly.

-
Back