Discussion in 'Shop, Garage and Tools' started by Bill Crowell, Mar 2, 2018.
I saw that....I like the lemon scent...lol
How about that yellow degreaser stuff at .99 only stores? 1/2~1 Gallon is a buck, you could fill the tank for less than a keg of Meister Brau. WEAR GLOVES !
RRR wrote: "There are LOTS of SAFE cleaning agents out these days. You don't have to use something that'll dry your skin until it cracks and bleeds, or will ruin ground water in case of a spill." Screw that water-based degreaser! Petoleum-based works one helluva lot better. I'm not going to be exposing my skin to it because I'm going to be wearing triple-layer rubber gloves, and I don't intend to spill it. Unlike water-based cleaners, you can use petroleum-based cleaner forever by simply decanting the liquid off the accumulated solids. Water based cleaners actually create more pollution because you have to dispose of them when they become ineffective. But if you really believe that stuff, RRR, then our California Governor Jerry Brown has a position open in the state's Department of Environmental Protection, and I think you should apply for it.
I use kerosene. Stinks to high heaven for about a week then all is good.
I tried paint thinner, not effective.
The way to remove old petroleum by products such as caked grease, and oil/dirt is with a petroleum product. If you like to remove grease from a pan or skillet use a product that is bio-degradable. The cheapest source is diesel fuel (not my first choice), kerosene works excellent (the fumes at first are strong) Coleman lantern fuel, (works the best, but at 15.00@gal) I do not have a solvent tank, but use an over sized rubberized livestock tub and use it in the open. I don't like the idea of having gallons of open solvent stored in the shop area, if you go green, yea go for it. I have never used a bio-degradable product that worked well quickly, and then required more effort with putty knife and wire brush. So work harder with the bio, or work with less effort with a solvent with all the hazards involved.
Exactly what I use. Works great.
I use mineral spirits in mine, buy it in 2.5 gallon jugs at a local paint supply. But I'm not in the land of fruits and nuts either. lol
Separate names with a comma.