What starter to use?...Hmm

-

jdhasa65cuda

Reaction score
Starter on my 65 v-8 cuda is dead. Id like to use a newer type but what year v-8 starter to use? A smaller faster starter would be great since i am going to put headers on and need all the clearance i can get. Any recomendations?

I put a modern mini starter on my Slant 6 like the magnum's use and is mentioned above. One of the best upgrades I've ever done to my car.

They made 3 different sizes of starters for mopars, the large old style, a much smaller one from the late 80s I suspect, and a tiny one from the 90s up to the early 2000s in trucks and vans with magnum 3.9/5.2/5.9 motors.

I have the tiny one and it works awesome. And has much more room around it.

I used one from a 2000 5.2 Dodge Dakota pickup.Works just fine,remove the adapter for the wires and discard. You may have to trim the small stud for the wire to clear the block.Put mine on a poly 318.

For got to say, hook the wires to the starter then bolt to bellhousing after checking that the wires aren't touching anything.

Some headers will not work with some starters on early A's depending on your drivetrain setup so I would look at what headers you plan on buying first.

I thought they all will fit and work ?

I bought a mini starter off ebay for 75 bucks very happy with it.

I thought they all will fit and work ?

Not on all, TTI's can use the later model starter on a setup like a 904 or man. trans. with a 9" clutch but need a starter that is clockable on 727's or man. trans. with a 10.5" clutch.

Thanks for all the advice! I used a starter for a 91 Magnum 318 from a Dakota.. worked like a charm! The Cuda starts so much quicker! Dont miss that "kiy yak yak" sound either lol!

-
Back