What timing curve for 416?

-

moparmade43

Reaction score
I have a new MSD Billet distributor that I am getting ready before I dyno my engine. I am setting the spring and bushing for the advance curve. My question is, to save dyno time for other tuning, do you guys have any suggestions on what a 416 stroker would like to start with? The specs are 340 stroked to 416 c.i., ported edelbrock heads, air gap intake port matched, forged bottom end, 10.5 compression, .550/.570 hydraulic roller, 236 at .050, 3500 ptc 9.5 inch converter, full manual valve body, 727, 3.91 gears, 75 duster, 3 inch exhaust with tti headers. can you guys give me an idea, I am thinking smallest bushing and lightest springs to start with, but I'll wait to see what advice I get

I would think that the heads will like about 32-34* with pump gas and higher with race gas.

My 416 likes base timing at 15 degrees all in by 34 degrees nothing more,mopars don't like a lot of timing,they prefer more fuel...

if you start with the black(18*) bushing, start with 2 light silvers and then when you drive it and break it in, jump up to maybe 1 blue or lighter. its better to be safe and keep the timing curve a little stiff during break in.

-
Back