What to do about OLD CHROME

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 66 Barracuda gauge cluster has no luster.

I have 3 clusters and the common trait is that there is no chrome left on anything. I don't even know what it's suppose to look like, but I'm assuming that it isn't suppose to be that old base plastic.

Aside from dropping a small fortune into a specialty chrome job, what can be done??

I've tried the spray paint chrome......In what reality does this come close to chrome?! Can't understand why this is one thing that can't come out of a spray can.

Be that as it may. What should it look like and how can I get close?

I purchased one on eBay. Yes, it cost a lot, but it looks new. I don't know how long it will last though.if I remember correctly it was $220.

1555871066233739289535.jpg

I used chrome spray paint on mine with not good but passable results. With some wood grain decals from Detroit Muscle it seems to have made the chrome less obvious. With the alternatives being $500-600, I decided I was happy. There are different brands and kinds of it. There is a fair amount of discussion about it on model car building websites.

EFC3243A-1C14-499E-A822-482CDA850553.jpeg

Im with the sticker trim. The stuff looks great if its over perfectly flat base. Paint the entire plastic piece black, super light sand on sticker portions (flats of bezels, and trim border) and then shoot with chrome paint. light sand the sticker parts again just to smooth them out and apply your "pinstripe" reflective mylar. Some of the stuff has a clear layer that you can peel off when installed. I put some on a part and it didnt look shiny until I found that the top protective clear layer could peel off, duh!
<<< alot of that stuff chrome color does not stretch, the link seems to be able to>>>>>

Last edited:
I guess the chrome tape would take care of the straight "pin wide" edges... but the chrome faced letters and the chrome faces around conical surfaces would be tricky to say the least. I have a problem with my eyesight, can't see good enough to do the tiny **** any more......and too good to be able to ignore the existing condition

Would you paint your car with a spray can ?
Barracuda
Once and done.

You're right of course...but now that one piece looks great, the rest looks worse. Tally up all the costs listed and you're over $460.

I don't know, but there's gotta be a line somewhere.....I don't want to sound "cheap", but what the hell, the word on me must be out by now

Not a Barracuda but I cleaned mine up real good with oven cleaner and painted them Argent wheel color ,cut and replaced the gauge cluster cover with plexi glass. Easy on Dart ,not sure about Yours. Bought stickers from herePremium Dash Decals by Mr.Heaterbox | to clean up the gauges. Not a 10 point restoration but looks better than it did and cost me less than $ 50.00.

DSCN0152.JPG

Last edited:
SSVDP and Back in time: I think you got it!
It isn't like everyone remembers what the exact appearance should be. I'll be giving it a shot

65 Barracuda lenses are conical as well as the inserts. The silver paint makes it all one color (get a good dark base coat) as opposed to tan underlay, but you just can't replicate the vacuum deposition that the factory did unless you get a very shiny material to cover the flats of the bezels. Enter metallized mylar pin stripe tape as in the link. If it stretches or heat shrinks and still retains reflectiveness, you may have a good chance of making it look nice. If you have places that does wraps for vehicles, swing it on by and get a quote, maybe they can do something with it. They do lots of motorcycle parts but they are not complex shapes.

-
Back