What was the ultimate "normal production" factory A Body?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Not counting the "super stock"/not street legal '68 Hemi cars, what was the hottest factory A body available to order for street use?

The 1966 Plymouth Valiant 100 sedan 170 3-speed...........LOL

I would have to say a 68-69 Dart GTS BB, or a BB 67-69 Barracuda, especially the 69 'cuda option

Keep in mind the 68-70 340 a-body cars hauled a$$ and could give a BB car a run for its money

In 69 you could get a 440 from the factory. A lot of guys say that the exhaust was restrictive, and they were nose heavy, and the 340 cars were more nimble and about as quick.

The 68 340 4-speed cars had a hotter cam than all of the other 340s.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

1969 M code 440 'Cuda would be the one for me

Attachments

• 440m.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 767
  • 440ma.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 743
  • 1969-plymouth-cuda-440-1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 740
  • 1969 plymouth barracuda 440 coupe+front left.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 748
IMO...my old '69 Dart 340 Swinger was a wonderfully balanced package for street use. Not nose-heavy like a big block car so handled well on the street and SoCal freeways. Got reasonable mileage for the day and still ran 14.28 sec. e.t. @ 98+ mph in Pure Stock at OCIR back in early 1970 - that was with a 727 and non-SureGrip 3.23 rear.
Loved picking on big-block cars on the street. The quick-revving 340 in a light A-body would walk away from a big-block car at the start and quick street races never went a full quartermile so the big-block couldn't get into it's top-end power advantage.

The 1970 340 ci four barrel Dodge Dart Swinger I drove as a 16 year old in 1974 to high school. That car, even with the three speed auto, was as balanced and fast a car as I ever drove. Later when I drove the police package 440s for work as a PSP Trooper, they were great in a straight line but awful in curves.

I would say it would be the 71 340 duster, first year with the TQ, still had 2:02 valves and compression.... Far better overall package than the 68-69 bigblock cars imo

I got my Swinger 340 new,, It was a great steet machine,, added all the speed goodies, running 2/10 ths off the NHRA record, and won lottsa hardware,,

At the strip, I can always remember pulling 2, 3, or 4 car lengths outta the hole, on BB Chevelles, BB Mopars and a nasty black GTO in particular,, only to watch them get closer and closer, and sometimes, pass me in the last 30 ft..

Won way more side $$ than I lost..

But you just can't beat cubic inch in the top end - - (naturally aspirated)

Clearly,

The 1969 440 Cuda. I had one, and it was 'uncontrollable on the street'.

1) 1969 440 Cuda (M-Code)
2) 1969 Dart 440 (M-Code)
3) 1968 Barracuda 340 'Formula S' 4-Speed (The 1968 4-speeds had the bumpier camshaft)
4) 1965 Valiant V-200 273/235 HP (The car only weighed in at #2712 lbs.)
5) 1969 Dart GTS 383
6) 1970 340 Duster

That was the trouble with the BB's in general,, on the street,, they were "uncontollable",, wheel spin for a whole block,, or with a manual valve body, start out in second gear, to keep up with a small block,.. and my hemi .. lol.. at idle, with line-lock,.. lol .. - it'd just sit there and spin... lol .. jmo

1971 Demon 340 with all the graphics 4spd. and all options EV2/EV2

1971 Duster 340 with all the graphics 4spd. and all options EV2/EV2 V24

These were the most stand out abodies and the last of the true performance cars. I too like the 69 340 Swinger's and the 68 GTS 4spds.. also 67/68 fastback Barracuda's. There is just something about all of the 71 model mopars. It was there last attack at the performance market and the lowest production year.

My next choice would be the Barracudas I just like cars that you can put tires on the back

With these new stroker kits , Pro chargers and Turbos who needs the weight of a big block for the street. Now for a drag car there is no replacement for displacement. The lightest car with the biggest motor. Just my 2 cents. Not meant to offend anyone.

The mopar mans dream is a Hemi car there is no getting around that.

Hard to beat any 340 especially in a convertible but the cars with fold down rear seat are pretty cool too.

A 'sleeper'

Was the 1967 Barracuda Fastback with the 383/280 HP.

Weighed in at #3202 lbs., and in 1967 fit nicely into D/S (11.30 - 11.88 Wt/HP) with
an 11.44 factor.

In 1968, they were classed in G/Stock, if you could find one at the track.

From the factory, the Carter AFB 525 CFM was purposely under-sized, and the
exhaust piping was just flat out horrible.

Once, you figured out the carburetor, and found someone in the United States that
could make a good set of 'tuned headers', they could run very well.

In 69 you could get a 440 from the factory. A lot of guys say that the exhaust was restrictive, and they were nose heavy, and the 340 cars were more nimble and about as quick.

The 68 340 4-speed cars had a hotter cam than all of the other 340s.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I agree with the 440 cars being a little less friendly in the handling department, but you forgot all about that when you were blowing the doors off the Chevy or ford next to you. I had a 68 383 GTS , and it was a freaking blast coming off a stop light!

Hard to argue with a '69 with the 440 option, but any 340 powered a body, either 4 speed or 727 will leave its mark on the competition. Just my experience and 2 cents.

I have a friend who has a '65 Barracuda, 273 Commando, 4 speed. That thing will flat surprise you!!! Had a ride right after it was finished. I could not believe how fast it was.

For overall performance, reliability and price.

1970 Duster 340

My mother bought one 'new' in June 1970, for $3050.
Off the showroom floor at Mahopac Chrysler (Route 6, Mahopac, New York).

4-speed, Disc-brakes, Power-steering, bench seat, 3.23 Posi, Tor-Red with black vinyl top, Body side stripe decal, Rally wheels, Good-Year E-70 x 14" RWL.

Never had a problem in 6-years and 60,000 miles.

Raced 'once' in September 1970. Ran a best of 14.33, and won a
Class Trophy in G/Stock.

Handled well, and my mother beat everybody off the line at Traffic-Lights.

I'll bet with today's tire technology and those HUGE wheel wells, coupled with lots of aluminum parts on the engine, including heads...that 440 69 Barracuda is a much better package.

1971 demon 340 with all the graphics 4spd. And all options ev2/ev2

1971 duster 340 with all the graphics 4spd. And all options ev2/ev2 v24

these were the most stand out abodies and the last of the true performance cars. I too like the 69 340 swinger's and the 68 gts 4spds.. Also 67/68 fastback barracuda's. There is just something about all of the 71 model mopars. It was there last attack at the performance market and the lowest production year.

My next choice would be the barracudas i just like cars that you can put tires on the back

with these new stroker kits , pro chargers and turbos who needs the weight of a big block for the street. Now for a drag car there is no replacement for displacement. The lightest car with the biggest motor. Just my 2 cents. Not meant to offend anyone.

The mopar mans dream is a hemi car there is no getting around that.
x2

I had a 1976 duster with a super /6 Two barrel three speed on the column, I pulled loaded farm wagons with this thing. One winter the rad froze and the temp spiked, I was young and didn't give to ***** about winterizing, pushed it in the garage, chalked up the wood stove, drained, poured fresh anti freeze without doing anything else and it ran better! might not be the fastest, but tough it was

1965 Valiant V-200 273/235 HP (#2712 lbs.)

1967 Photo
lilbrute.jpg

Depends on what ultimate means to you.. My ultimate may not be the fastest or handle the best but its what I would want if I could go back and buy.. For me it would be a 68 or 69 340 4 speed dart convertible...

-
Back