what were you doing on 9/11

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
how did you hear about or what were you doing that morning...

i was in 7th grade getting ready for school and my perants told me to sit down and watch, what your seeing is america being attacked and this day will be a very bad day for america. when i got to school all we did is watch the news that morning, we shall never forget and god bless those whos lives were lost that day......... 9/11

working in a logging camp. Guy came out where we were working and told us what had happen. For a while we thought he was joking.

My wife and i had gone fishing [i had the day off] we went early in the am did not get home till around lunch we decided to go out for lunch [no tv or radio to this point] we got in the resturant sat down and we were watching the tv and i asked the waitress what movie is that she looked at us like we were from another planet and said that's happening now in N.Y. the rest of the day was pretty crappy.

Was working, could see the smoke from the Pentagon from our train yard. Worked all night and never saw all the coverage (which probably was a good thing).

I was pulling an axle shaft out of an old jeep. I can show you the exact spot I was standing when I heard about the second plane hitting the second tower. It was a perfect Tuesday morning up to that point. -LY

Watching the TV and shocked and Numb,getting ready to leave for a drug screen test for job to go to work for The City of Austin.
Definitely one of the worst and saddest days in my life.
It is a small world,One of my customers daughter was on flight 93,his son killed himself last year and the mother has not left her house since that day...She will take company but will not set foot out of their house.
God Bless America.

My wife and I were installing a furnace into a customers house and went to lunch heard it on the radio and went back to the install and turned the customers basement t.v. on finished the install and went to pick our kids up from school,We didn't know what was going to happen next--I still get tears in my eyes anytime they put footage on the t.v. about it,But then again I cry when the national anthem is played!!!!! I love this country but lately i could get the hell out of here seems like common sense is completely missing these day's-- We need this idiot out of office---Steve

Was at home checking out the tube. Was like wow, they said they were going to bring those towers down for years now and looks like they finally did. The US spent billions on security yet had 4 planes hi-jack in 1 hour. Ugh.

R.I.P. to all those who died

Getting ready for a business appointment with some repeat customers. My wife had left for work and I was eating breakfast watching TV when I saw the 1st plane hit the tower. I thought to myself, what are they showing movies in the morning for. Couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I was watching the news. Then while I was wondering what the name of the movie was that they were previewing, the second aircraft hit the other tower and it dawned on me that I was watching real life in real time. Pretty much sat there in shock for an hour ot two, I could not believe anyone could be so cruel or stupid. Sort of lost my international virginity that day. Ten years later, I am not real optimistic that it will ever end. I think it would scare us real bad if we knew how many other attacts have been stopped. We literally have "barbarians at the gates" I feel bad for my kids, grandkids and so on. It will only continue to get worse. The first domino has been toppled in the string to armageddon I'm afraid. I am glad i have my cars for occupying my thoughts and time. Keeps my mind from thinking about it too much.

I woke to a phone call from my friend Chris. He told me that a plane had struck one of the towers so I turned on the news. Just minutes into our conversation the second plane struck. Chris is a native New Yorker, transplanted to Phoenix. When he saw the second tower get hit he was brought to tears. Chris initially thought that both crashes were accidents caused by a traffic control problem. I said "Chris this is terrorism, we're at war".

Here is the thread which was started on my website that morning. Very raw and emotional. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34865

I was on vacation that week. I had intended on sleeping in, the TV was still on from when my wife had left for work. I was lying on the bed, half asleep, half listening to the news, when they came on and started talking about the first plane hitting. I sat up and was watching that when the second plane hit.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
When I heard what all had happened, I was some kind of pissed.
About 4:30 that day, the Army Reserve unit I was assigned to called. I was told that we were to report that night.
We were given a situation report, all of our gear was inspected, we were made to get paperwork in order. We built machine gun nests and check points near the Reserve Center. We had .50cal M2's set up and were told to blast anyone who went thru the checkpoints.
2 days later we were pulling security in an airport in Minnesota. When people were finally allowed to fly again we pulled security in the terminals as well. When the Minnesota Nat Guard came, we went home.
2 years later, I was in Iraq.
That day changed my life. Changed my attitude about an entire religion and changed my perception of the world in general.
What really pisses me off is, that my son and my grand kids didn't get to grow up in the America that I grew up in.

I had turned the news on like I usually do in the morning before I jumped in the shower and when I got out, I saw what I thought was a bad fire in the Twin Towers. I started to get dressed, walked out, grabbed a cup of coffee and saw the second plane hit. I couldn't believe it, it was mind blowing. I called my boss right away and he said to sit tight, no one would be traveling that day. I watched the news the rest of the day.....

Coming home from an overnight shift (OJT) listenig to Howard Stern wondering what the gag was I was missing. Board, I moved to music radio which had the nerve not to report what was going on.

I got home to answer aphone call from my freind in Va. asking me if it was true?

"Is what true? I ask.
He told me turn on the TV.

I knew he was dead serious when I asked, "What channel" and he replied, "Any Channel."

My brother was lucky that day he played hookie from work. All his co-workers died that day. Top floor confence rooms taking down the audio set up's from big biz meetings.

my cusions were also lucky being on lower floors.

5 of my school mates were not lucky.

I was in an all day paint seminar, didn't know it happened till 5 o'clock at night, when my wife told me. It was pretty bad, my wife had been crying all day. When she told me, and then I watched it on the television, I was pretty devastated.

Was working my 24hr shift at the Fire Station, was my turn to cook. Woke up at 4 started breakfast came back in to get cleaned up and everyone was in the dayroom with the news on.

Quietest effin shift I ever had. Even our frequent flyers didn't call in. Not a peep out of the radio, only noise all day was the phone call from HQ to pack a bag, call everyone off shift in and be on standby.

Was working at Chrysler HQ in Auburn Hills. I started at 6:30 and as usual had some sort of computer problem. I called the help desk and asked how her day was - she said AWFUL and told me somene had flown a plane into the WTC. I was thinking a small plane like a Cessna and she said no an airliner! I tried to think who would be home and called my mom and told her to turn on the news. She started crying when she saw what had happened. So I was almost the 1st at work to know aout the attack.

I was at work and didn't hear about it till I went home that evening on 9/11.

Where I previously worked,I used to have a delivery to either a Red Apple or Sloans grocery store(don't remember anymore) near the towers and saw the aftermath a couple days later when they tried to blow it up the first time with the truck bomb in the underground parking garage.

how did you hear about or what were you doing that morning...

i was in 7th grade getting ready for school and my perants told me to sit down and watch, what your seeing is america being attacked and this day will be a very bad day for america. when i got to school all we did is watch the news that morning, we shall never forget and god bless those whos lives were lost that day......... 9/11

ABodyBetty and I were sitting in the graveyard office making arangements for my mom who just passed on 9.9.01. Someone came in and wispered to the person helping us. She excused herself for a moment and went with the other girl. ABB and I sat there for a while untill I got pissed and went looking for them. I found everyone in the employee breakroom watcing it on TV and the second plane had not hit yet. I went back and got ABB and brought her into the TV room. Then second plane. We sat for a bit, then told them to call us later and left our phone number. It was too much for me and has been every year sense. Next year will be worse for me I'm affraid. Rest of funeral was planned over the phone.
911 has always been real sad for me for my mom passing, Vinny passing today at 10 yrs old, and especially all the innocent people who perished then too. God bless all their families and the survivors also.
I thank the Lord my Dad already had passed and my Mom passed without ever seeing the loss. She would have not understood it all and I still don't. Glad she didn't see it though.

I wish my car could really take me back to 64, like a time machine.
it was so innocent then. I wouldn't come back to today either, I'd stay there.
Those days are trully gone.

I had just walked out to start my pick up to head to work. When the radio came on they where talking about a plane hitting one of the towers. I went back in the house and turned on the tv, was watching when the second plane hit. Woke my wife up and we were watching when the towers fell.
Coming home from work that night I seen a little girl of maybe 6 or 7 standing out in her front yard waving a big flag as cars passed by. The amount of patriotism America showed for the next few week was amazing.
I can't imagine what it must have been like to live through that day for the people who where effected by it.

I was out in my shop enjoying a cup of coffee and totaling up a bill on a truck bed side paint repair and was watching the news and I seen the second plain hit when the news man was talking about the first plain hit.
I called my neighbor over that was bush hogging his field behind my shop and we watched it together, All of this was at my old home place.

I was at work. My boss called me into his office. I was horrified!

btw, have any of you taken a look at the link in ab7fh's response above? I read through it last night. It made me thing of the fear, anger and confusion during those first few hours on that morning. It's worth a look.

I was in college that day. I was in between two classes and waiting around when some guy out of the blue told our group about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I thought the guy was an idiot and shrugged it off.

Came home a few hours later for lunch and roomate had the tv on and was watching everything going on. Thats when reality struck in.
Classes were cancelled the rest of the day.
Friend was called in to work (army reserve) Friend eventually went to Afghanistan and i have never seen him since.

I remember watching the replays of the towers coming down and the dust that was covering the streets.

I was in Germany at the time. Flew back from East Berlin at a supplier to Munich that day and just got back to the hotel. It was all over the TV there as well but I didn't speak German. I couldn't figure out how each of the channels were showing the same "movie" until a coworker stopped by my room and said "Dude they just destroyed the twin towers". We found an English feed and couldn't believe what we were watching. Following that were quick calls to family and they were explained the panic including long lines at gas stations with gas prices doubled. It was tough being so far from home at that time. I will say the compassion the people showed us in southern Germany was amazing. We were supposed to fly home Sept. 13th but ended up being over there a week or more longer until we could find a way home.

I was in Bristow, OK on I44 headed for Oklahoma City to a place called Herron Steel to pickup materials for a cell site we were building in Jay, OK. I was listening to the CD player in my truck, when my Civils foreman called and asked if I had contacted Herron yet. I told him where I was and he said call the supplier because the were closing everything down around them. Come to find out, there is a military base close to them and it all went into lock down. I headed back east to Tulsa to wait for the materials to be delivered there. I had a very difficult time wrapping my head around what I was hearing on the radio. I finally saw the devastation when we all got back to our hotel rooms. I'll never forget the next day, with no air traffic. It was really eerie out in the middle of no where with no planes flying overhead. It's funny that we take aircraft flying overhead for granted, until it is not there.

Just remember, no matter who you are UNITED WE STAND. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!

-
Back