What will it make?????

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Ok I'm curious on what my motor will make/produce, and I've been hearing from a range of 350 to 450 HP(nice range but want a narrower scope) and I want to know what you guys think it will make.
So here are the specs.
340 (Sonic and mag tested 72/73 block came for a Cuda)
4.070 (.030 over) Forged Aluminum Pistons, flat top with two valve relief (Ross Racing)
1/16, 1/16, 3/16 Total Seal Gapless Piston Rings
3.31 Forged Crank (Eagle) with their ESP Armor on it
6.123 Forged H-Beam Rods (Eagle) with their ESP Armor on it.
Full grooved Main Bearings (Can't think off hand who made them)
Standard volume oil pump (Melling)
Milodon Road Race oil pan
Crank scraper, teflon bladed both up and down stroke (Crank-Scrapers.com, Great place!)
Hughes Stud gridle
Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (60779, closed chamber) Cleaned up no porting
Ferrea Stainless Steel Valves (2.02/1.60)
Roller Rockers (Comp Pro Mags) 1.5 ratio
Hughes Roller Lifters
Comp Roller Cam (282/290 AD, at .50 lift 231/239 .535"/.550" Lift 110/106 Lobe
Edelbrock High Volume Water pump (Aluminum)
Milodon High Volume T-Stat
Edelbrock AirGap intake
Coyles Double roller timing chain (billet gears)
MSD E-Curve Dizzy
Dougs Headers (1 5/8th)
SFI Balancer and SFI Flexplate
This is all bolted together using the Strongest ARP bolts that will bolt to the motor.
(Haven't bought a carb yet but will probably be an Edelbrock 750)

10-10.5:1

410-425 with a holley 750-950

With an ede... 410

That all depends on who's dyno as well.

Sorry to say but I think your looking at 375hp to 400hp max. Strengths, there's plenty. If you add some port and polish to the heads, degree the cam, tweak the timing alittle I'd say400 plus without breaking a sweat.

Looks like your build is bulletproof, but the numbers might be a little low compared to what it could handle. Seems most parts are beefy stock replacements, with the exception of the heads and cam, and the cam could be larger. I dont think the Edel 750 will do you justice, shoot for an 800 Demon or HP Holley. Im not diss'n any part of your build, you got me hands down on everything. Hope for the best, expect the worst, then you cant lose.

Why not use the high volume oil pump? my engine builder believe in looser bearing clearances are better than too tight.

The looser the clearances the more WINDAGE you'll create. The more oil pump the more WINDAGE!
Windage eats up power and makes oil temps go up.

Plus you'll have more pressure than you'll need. Good cleanup work on a stock pump is the only way to go!
Brian

Sorry to say but I think your looking at 375hp to 400hp max. Strengths, there's plenty. If you add some port and polish to the heads, degree the cam, tweak the timing alittle I'd say400 plus without breaking a sweat.

The cam is degreed. Been thinking about have the heads ported and polished

Looks like your build is bulletproof, but the numbers might be a little low compared to what it could handle. Seems most parts are beefy stock replacements, with the exception of the heads and cam, and the cam could be larger. I dont think the Edel 750 will do you justice, shoot for an 800 Demon or HP Holley. Im not diss'n any part of your build, you got me hands down on everything. Hope for the best, expect the worst, then you cant lose.

I'll look into a larger cam. With the closed chamber heads piston clearance is a little tight but I have "great quench" is what my builder told me. I'll look at a bigger carb.

It has 63 cc chamber heads and I think it's a 5cc relief (not 100% on that number) I pretty sure the gasket is ~.39.
So around 400 is the guess (average)

Didn't that "HotRod TV" 360 have a simliar spec'ds engine making around 450 HP?

It's a good build. I'd expect somewhere around 420 depending on cylinder finish and assembly. If you want more, the cam could go with more duration.

I'd say 450+ , mine makes 412 and don't have the cam or heads you have . Sounds like a good build .

The dyno can make a big difference in numbers. Enigne that make 450 on one only pull 425 on others, so they can vary quiet a bit.

DTS, I'll stick with my guess maybe 5-10 more. On a land/sea, superflow or stuksa probably about 445-455.

Saw a similar build, with box-stock Eddys and a hydraulic FT (XE 275HL) make 420 over here. I'll say 430+.

-
Back