What would you do? I need honest answers here

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to see what everyone thinks here. Recently I bought some parts from a fellow member. We settled on a price including shipping that we both agreed on. I get a pm back saying shipping was a little more $$, so I up'd the difference and came good on my end. In about a week or 2 time I get a pm from the other member that my parts cant be delivered, they were at a depot. He gave me their ph# and said to call them. I knew what I was in for right away. Dreading the phone call I made it anyway. It was to UPS, and they were stating they cant deliver to a mailbox, it had to be a physical address. I said well would there be broker fees on this?? You all know the answer right?? The lady on the phone said yes, $65. I said pls return to sender and that was that for them. I pm'd the seller and let him know that I requested them to be sent back to him, and that when he receives them that he ship them via USPS to me. I wont go into details as to what was said in the pm's I want to know what you guys think is fair. In my pm's to seller I requested specifically USPS and I think the majority of the members on the forums know why. There was no panic on my end for the parts, so if it took a week to get to the PO that would have been fine with me. I also find out that not only did they get shipped UPS, that it was called a "drop and ship" or something like that. So to me that means the extra $$ I paid went to a dick in a brown suit to pack and ship these parts. As it stands now the parts were $150, shipping initially was $25 then bumped another $17 that I paid by the way!!! Now they are held hostage at UPS for another $65 in broker fees. I no longer want these parts for that price. Am I being unreasonable here?? Whenever I sell something I always ship via Canada Post, but if someone was specific(as I was and always am) as to how they wanted them shipped I would accomodate them. I need your input guys and gals thanks!

You requested specificaly USPS as your shipper in the pm's and the seller didn't honor it. I say the ball is back in the seller's court and he should pony up.

Me, I like to sleep well and soundly at night. If I were the seller, I would own up to having ignored (or failed to pay attention to) my buyer's shipping instructions, and if the parts were returned to me I would refund the buyer in full.

The original deal, parts plus agreed upon shipping and then another $17 sounds like a fair deal to me.

Yeah, if anyone ever requests a certain shipping company thats what I use. No reason to do anything else- this kind of stuff happens...

Thanks guys, its bad enough it went ups, but to think he couldnt even pack the stuff?? It was 2 carbs by the way, nothing beyond a shaved monkeys capabilities of packing! Heck I got a rad and shroud from a member on here and he crated the things and everything and shipped without getting paid!! That member wanted to make sure I got it before I paid. I dunno what to do, I am out $192 with nothing to show for it right now!!
Thanks for the input

Sorry to say Steve,but it,s deals like this that U.S members get a bad taste for shipping to Canada.IMO.If the seller had followed your shipping instructions or didn,t want to,he should,ve mentioned it in PM,s.To drop the items off at UPS to be packaged $$ and shipped should be at his expense.(unless you requested)which you didn,t.If the seller had packaged the items and shipped USPS as you asked, we wouldn,t be reading this.Good luck.

I agree psycho, I think that there have been enough threads started with shipping bs, but I never assume and I always specifically ask for USPS. Maybe I should put it as my signature?? Or in my avatar??

broker fees are broker fees .... sucks but thats the majority of the problem when shipping across the border.

You paid the shipping.... it was sent. (mind you not how you wanted it sent maybe a spelling mistake?, but it was sent)
The broker fees are your baby. The price of cross border shopping.

well, the part about the extra shipping, i can relate to. i sold a set of rims without knowing a exact price, cause you do not know till you get there, with the stuff boxed up. so i said poop happens, ans i would cover the extra cost, since it was on me to know the shipping price. but you were a great person to send the extra cash.

now on the part of the method of shippin.

if it was his first time shipping to a different country, it is a mess. the fist time i did ship out of country to members on here, the paper they give you to fill out is nutz. but i have always shipped the way they wanted. i always use ups, as it is the only thing near me besides the post office.. BUT, if i am asked to ship through a certain method, i always oblidge. no matter the cost, i just aske them to pay any extra shipping charges.

This is one of the reasons i use only fed-ex when shipping especially when shipping to Canada,i've never had an issue shipping up there then again i work for them..

now does usps charge broker fees when it goes to another country? on your guys end up north?

we get dinged the tax on the price on the shipping label up here in the north. Its usually about 13% on the listed price.

Unless its below a certain amount ($100) and then they turn a blind eye

now does usps charge broker fees when it goes to another country? on your guys end up north?

for the most part no. but when my rad and shroud came thru yes there was extra, but I think only about $30 I cant remember exactly. I think the majority of us know that UPS inflates the snot out of broker fees. Selling price was $150, but if I paid all the extras it turns out to be almost $260!! Not a f'n chance!!

I think that once a price is agreed to thats the price Make sure you have the shipping figured out. No way would I pay anymore then the agreed price!!! I don't know about the rest of you, but I sell alot of parts, and my main priority is making sure my fellow member/customer is completely happy with the whole process. I normally email or call them to make sure they are happy, I guess I'm just old school, but I don't like to piss people off over thing's like this. Sorry for going off, but if my customer isn't happy I will send there money back. That's all I got to say about that.

Steve,I,m in the middle of a tranaction with some Early-A bucket seats.To ship them FedX(which I requested)from Arizona to Michigan is $118.A member is bringing them across the border and I will pay the taxes about another $26.Just an example of Fed X prices to ship 2 bucket seats(heavy).:toothy10:

broker fees are broker fees .... sucks but thats the majority of the problem when shipping across the border.

You paid the shipping.... it was sent. (mind you not how you wanted it sent maybe a spelling mistake?, but it was sent)
The broker fees are your baby. The price of cross border shopping.

ABSOLUTELY do not agree, the deal is made when the price is set, SET means you have investigated shipping and you already KNOW that cost and it is now included in what you and the buyer agree to, PERIOD. broker fees extra fees WHAT EVER fees, that are added AFTER the AGREEMENT is not the buyers responsibility!!! That is the silliest thing I ever heard of!! that is like signing the papers at a car dealer than two days later they call you and tell you OOPS its going to COST YOU another $500 because WE made a mistake!! TOO BAD!!! WHO MADE THE MISTAKE? you cannot change prices or add cost AFTER a deal has been made because YOU didn't follow SPECIFIC instructions.....that is REAL third rung ... CHEEEESY SLEEEEZE
send em back to him and ask for a FULL REFUND including the extra $17 for breach!

^^^^^^^ i agree in this situation, especially if he will not work with you, and is just basically saying either you pay, or they do not drop the parts.

maybe he does not know how to read too well, and maybe confused the ups with the usps. i just witin the last 2 years realized they are two different entities.lol.

cross the border and buy a tv ... now come home...

What happens when you get to the border? oh ya you pay duty aka the tax on the item you just bought.

Seller will not know the duty fees or broker fees.

maybe he does not know how to read too well, and maybe confused the ups with the usps. i just witin the last 2 years realized they are two different entities.lol.[/QUOTE]
Now that would be me right there, I would get the two confused in a heart beat

-
Back