Whats better Manual steering or Power?

Power steering or Manual?

• Power

Votes: 187 43.1%
  • Manual

Votes: 247 56.9%

• Total voters
-
I just put power steering on my Duster on Friday. My dads 70 T/A Challenger has the fast ratio power steering and i love it! So i went out and found one for the Duster. Yeah im giving up some weight but driving will be much better. Its also a bear to install if you have headers. No clearance issues though.

I dont like the squirrely ride and over steer on the power units ,nice and firm with the fast ratio manual

I have a fast ratio power unit for duster ,like new ,no leaks, will sell cheap.

If its a street only car,i'd go with power steering..street/strip car i'd go manual,when racing you have far more control with manual steering,when i changed from power to manual last year in my duster i took something like 30 plus pounds off the frontend,which is always a plus..

I had to modify a post. I can honestly say it's a BAD idea for anyone to condone a post about driving while impaired. I know it was done in a harmless manner, but in this day & age of everyone looking to blame someone else, I think it's in OUR best interest to try and steer away from topics like that. If your going to say something incriminating, don't leave yourself open in case it comes back to haunt you, such as an accident, or worst. Stuff like this leaks out...

Sorry to play "Daddy" here, but try & understand.
Thanks guys.

Other than being able to park with one hand, I see absolutly no advantage to power steering.
(And if encourages the driver scuff the tires. The car should be rolling when wheels are turned anyway.)
It's a light weight A body.
People just thought power steering was better.
More room in engine bay with manual.
Better feel.
Save weight.
Save leaks.
Less mtc.
KISS.

The only thing I don't like about the manual steering in my small block street car is when I installed the smaller diameter steering wheel. The steering effort (naturally...) went up. With the stock diameter wheel it was fine. Years ago I had a manual steering 383 `68 Barracuda and parking was a hassle with the extra weight of the big block. But the road feel is well worth it.

Other than being able to park with one hand, I see absolutly no advantage to power steering.

I changed from manual to power and there is a huge advantage to power. The 16:1 ratio allows for much quicker manuevers in emergency situations. This swap completely change the character of my 68 Barracuda, it went from feeling like I was driving a barrage to feeling like I was driving a nimble sports car. I drive my car daily in the summer months and dealing with 16:1 manual steering during low speed manuvering is just not acceptable.

Most of the over assisted feel of mopar power steering from the 60's and early 70's can be adjusted out by cranking in more caster than the orignal factory specs and by using 60's series tires up front. If the feel is still to over assisted for your taste a rebuilt box from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear will give you the same feel as a modern car.

Sure, I understand.
No argument here.
Many variables.
Like ant-sway bars and poly bushings.
Not to mention caster.
Feeling is a subjective thing.

I drive my car daily year round.
Not a just fair weather friend.
(Check the weather in Atlanta today.)
No problem with nimbleness and never a barge feel.

And I never have to check my fluid.
Interesting results on the pole, don’t your think?

I like manual. Less weight, less clutter, less to go wrong. I daily drive mine with manual everything, never had a problem. I did feel a small difference when I went from 13" to 15" tires, but not a big deal.

TopHat

Besides the weight savings I think theMopar manual box has a certain esthetic that i like .A clean simple design.

One other thing that I don’t believe anyone has mentioned.
If you go with the manual, are you going to clean and repack it?
It’s not difficult.
Probably the seal are all that need replacement.
It is surprising what a good cleaning, adjusting and repacking with new grease will accomplish to a manual box. (I use Mobil 1)
I think many people expect something out of a manual box they wouldn’t out of a power system. And then wonder why it “feels” inadequate.
Forty years of service with no attention other than adding oil isn’t realistic.
That unit does do a lot of work.
The old grease will have deteriorated and dried up.
(Oil is for “servicing”, not overhauls. And if overhauled, it really shouldn’t need oil in your lifetime, that I have seen.)

Grease is what the book says to put in when it is overhauled.
If the grease ever gets low, gear oil is what is added.
But with new good seals, the grease shouldn't leak out.
I just am lazy, so I use synthetic grease in everything.
Saves buying different types.
It's muti-purpose.
It is "water proof", extream pressure and high temp.
And compatable with what ever grease may be in something already.

My 69 had only 2 things going for it when I bought it in 79, 16 to 1 manual steering and 340 suspension, without sway bar.
I didn't know for many years the Dart had a special box, I just knew it was almost as hard to steer as my 41 military Power Wagon was at the time. Friend finally clued me in many years later.
I almost wrecked the first /6 69 I was test driving before I bought it because I turned it the same amount it would have taken in my car and almost hit a pole before I figured it out....
I have to be care full how big a tire I put under it just so it's easier to steer, and it bump steers worse with the slightly wider 215/60 14" I put under it.
I might go back to the 205' 70's just because it was so much more stable as far as bump steer goes.
I don't drive it any more but it was my daily for over 20 years and I got my license in it as well.
I do love the road feel, and 3.8 turns lock to lock is nice, doesn't seem like your steering a ship around.
It gets a bit dicey when I get crazy with the sure grip on wet roads but I'm totally used to how it reacts now.

I like my manual steering in my '72. Less to maintain, gives me some exercise, more room for other add ons.

I like the 1 finger turning ability of power steering while i am relaxed and not all stiffened up to make that turn.

I have a 75 K-frame, 2º positive caster, Firm Feel (Cop car) power steering, 235/60-15 tires, and a 13" Tuff wheel. Road feel is a little masked, but otherwise, it is a GREAT combination. I strongly recommend this for a street car. If a race car, install MPs 20:1 kit and go with manual. The MP kit reduces the steering from 24:1, more armstrong required.

Manual. My car was designed to go fast in a straight line so power steering just costs horsepower with no real benefit. I also like the road feel with the manual.

I run a flaming river manual 16:1 box & love-it.I daily drive & the only issue is parralell parking takes a bit of strength.The fast ratio is amazing at speed on some nice 60-70 mph curves.

Ted

With manual steering you really have the feeling you are actually driving, great road feel, takes strenght to handle that in a big block A at slow speeds. About the power steering,, well feels kinda insecure and sloopy at 60-70 mph speeds.

-
Back