Whats better Manual steering or Power?

Power steering or Manual?

• Power

Votes: 187 43.1%
  • Manual

Votes: 247 56.9%

• Total voters
-
My very first car at 15 was a Duster with manual steering and a floor shift manual. After about a year, I put a small chrome steering wheel on it (it was the seventies!!) I wouldn't own a power steering car, or power brake or AC for that matter. Now on my daily driver, that's another story...

I'm pretty much the opposite, all my cars get power steering......manual steering is primitive!.....they steer like a truck.

i am a girl and i weigh just around 85lbs give or take a couple pounds and my daily driven car is a 72 dart with a 4 speed and manual steering and i have no problem with that.... so i say manual all the way for me......paralell parking is no problem for me either....if you truely know how to drive then paralell parking wont be a problem in anything on wheels.:cheers:

manual steering, 4 speed and a heavy clutch will give you a full body work out in a busy parking lot and some sweat on a summer day but its all part of the deal...and I love it :glasses8:

MANUAL! Im only 5'6 and 160 pounds but I love the feel of manual steering, bias plied, stiff clutch 4 speed mopar! I run manual steering and 4 speeds in everything I got, even my daily driver 77 f-250.

We took the p/s pump on a 69 Charger ( it was too scarey at high speed- too touchey) put another shim in the regulator; brand new car.

I've got the 16:1 box and no complaints. Soon to do this road feel mod, see if it works:

[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

A rack and pinion on a Honda is one thing, but for a old american car, manual is for masochistic people that don't have to park in a tight space.

That mod does work. Thanks for the link. A friend did that mod to a 69 Roadrunner and it made a big difference. Old Mopar power steering was always over boosted and had no road feel. This fix gives you best of both worlds. tmm

Hey. I"m in the middle of a build and i want to know what is better to have I have a manual colum and box and a power colum and box, Which one is more like and better to have? The car is a daily driver.
thanks

Dam....4yr old post.....:cheers:

Voted power, only because it is a daily driver.
None of my cars are daily driven,therefor I prefer manual.
I like the road feel better. It also takes drag off the motor,and frees up
room for headers ect.

Now get out there with yer skirt on and get some groceries....:thumleft:

My '73 Dart has Power....but it looks like i'm gonna have to go manual due to no header clearance with running a 440. Anybody have one they wanna sell me?:p

If you like manual and fast ratio you can always just pull the belt on the PS and there you go! I swapped a motor in my 71 Sebring and it didn't have a PS pump so for years I ran that car that way all through highschool. It also had a tiny aftermarket wheel. You hit a curb pulling up and that thing would rip out of your hands and spin like a buzzsaw. Lost the hair off the back of my wrist that way! My dad drove it once and was amazed I could even drive it, I figured it was good for the Pop-eye look I wanted.

It's like asking what flavor of ice cream is better. It's a personal preference. I like power steering better when it's not over-assisted as the old Chrysler's tend to be. That being said, I was forced to convert to a manual box for clearance when installing a blower. It's fine too - just different. There are advantages to both.

By the way, chocolate is better than vanilla.

I liked the way the fish drove with the stock manual box as far as steering feel goes. Plus, it is one less belt, less weight, more room around the headers. Only belt I have on the fish is the alternator since I use a Moroso water pump drive.

I'm getting ready to swap out the power steering in my 66 Valiant for a manual box. Did the same to the 71 Swinger I had when I was 17.
I'm thinking about swapping my Duster back to power (switched to manual a couple years ago when we put the car back together). After the 416 goes in, I don't like the idea of trying to get it back straight with the manual steering if (when) it starts to go squirrelly.

-
Back