Whats better Manual steering or Power?

Power steering or Manual?

• Power

Votes: 187 43.1%
  • Manual

Votes: 247 56.9%

• Total voters
-
I think the only option my 66 Dart has is p.steering LOL!!I,m gonna keep it when I swap it to V8(360) and when I take it to the track I,m gonna take the belt off to see if there is any time diff..It,s old enough to feel the road,power or manual.

Well,I,ve had know choice but to switch to manual steering.With the 360 in my 66 Dart,headers is my only choice(spitfires)manual it is!

Power steering for me. I've never had a problem with road feel in a or b bodies. I drive my cars a lot year round.
If it was a race car only, i'd go manual.

Manual- for the simple reason that it's one less thing to worry about.
I've had two with power (a 74 Dart Sport, and a 69 Fury III) and I now have a 64 Dart w/ manual. I love popping the hood open and seeing that single belt for the alternator/water pump! Simple is BEAUTIFUL!
It took a little getting used to, but within three days I really didn't notice it was a manual, and I am not very strong (130lbs with arthritis).
Once the car is rolling, you can hardly tell it's manual.
Sure, parallel parking takes a little muscle, but you just get stronger.

How many miles are on that thing?

Almost 88,000 original. I just bought her back in December. And started Daily Driving her in mid January.She still sports quite a bit of her assembly line parts.

Guys Im going to the dark side. I just drove a buddys Charger with the Firm Feel stage 3 box and WOW!!! It was so tight and responsive,not to mention about half the turns lock to lock as my stock box! Firm Feel has a great product. As for the power loss,he said he just takes the belt off at the track,and at the end of the day puts it back on and drives home.:read2:

For road feel,weight savings,header fitment and less accesories to rob power I voted manual.

I've got a '76 Duster with power steering and need to get the steering box rebuilt as it's leaking. I would prefer manual steering box. How difficult is it to swap from power steering to manual box??? Apologies for the silly question...

I just made the switch from PS to manual and I am so very glad i did.
I feel like I actually have control and great feel of the road now.
It is not hard at all to turn the wheel even stopped.

Adapter for the steering column since the manual column is longer.
Or find a manual column.

My dart started life with manual steering. Swapped to power after getting a new steering wheel. Just put the old wheel back in and searching for a manual box. I have had the car for 13 years and 10 of em where with manual. Just doesn't feel right with power.

Running quick ratio manual steering with stout torsion bars, feels really nice, and makes the forearms pump pulling into the gas station every 10 minutes. LOL.

Running quick ratio manual steering with stout torsion bars, feels really nice, and makes the forearms pump pulling into the gas station every 10 minutes. LOL.

So you do have the 16:1 manual steering box? How do you like it thus far? I really want one...

I have manual in my Duster and I like it.

Power steering is always 16:1 - You can get a longer pitman arm and idler arm, but they don't fit with most headers. They will give you quicker steering, although the BOX is still 16:1.

Manual steering is 24:1 from the factory. I bought the 20:1 Mopar Performance worm gear from Mancini and rebuilt the box with it. It's a little quicker. My Duster is very light in the front, so effort is fine.

For those with a larger budget, look at the AlterKtion. Rack and pinion!

I just bough a used manual box for my Dart already, i cant wait to start working on it, i'll be fun!

soon i'll be opening a new thread on my buildup i cant wait!

ive had manual in my 69 dart with BB for about 10 years. i guess im getting old. i really dont like it anymore. the duster is power with 245 45 17s all around, no way is a manual box finding its way into it. id likt to go with a firm feel power box though. i drive it daily in the warmer months. i find it to be very relaxing driving that car, and fter a hard day at work, it dont feel like playing with manual steering. i dont know about manual beeing one less thing to worry about, i went through 2 manual boxes on the dart since swapping over. they were tight when i put them in. i never killed a power box in anything.

-
Back