Whats happening in #6 Cylinder

-
I agree with OldmanRick. Get moved, take care of your personal business, Than deal with the problem.

I agree also....definitely. That cylinder, though, might be looking good @ 155 lbs. because it's sucking oil and doing its own "wet test".

Rick, feel free to throw them in now. Gives me time to chew on them and figure out what to do in the meantime.

Well, since this need to be a "noninvasive" procedure until after the move, I see two choices.........

1) Put a few more miles on it and hope it clears up? Not likely, and that possible noise worries me a little.

2) Get your hands on a borescope, maybe the shop has one?, and drop that piston down and inspect the cylinder wall, piston top and chamber for anything obvious. Next you could pull the carb and go down the runner and check around the mating surface for a glaring gasket issue. You could also pull the dizzy and take a look at the underside near that port for, again, something obvious.

Just a few thoughts for the time being before having to go deeper. While I can multi task, moving and tearing into a engine at the same time is not on my list :D.

Good luck!

Well, since this need to be a "noninvasive" procedure until after the move, I see two choices.........

1) Put a few more miles on it and hope it clears up? Not likely, and that possible noise worries me a little.

Just a FYI the noise was only once and it was quick after the break in process and after a short drive. It has never happened again. Not that, that means much but just wanted everyone to understand.

Thanks for the suggestions as something to look into. I can get a bore scope so that helps on how and what to look for. My other option since it runs is to bring it to the engine shop. Although my fear of them damaging (scratches, dents etc) while its there is a big fear. What's the best way to document how the car looks when I drop it off so that I may be able to hold them liable. I was thinking using my camera and making a walk around video. Crossing my fingers nothing happens.

Just a update. I dropped my car off with the engine builder on Friday and they said that they would be getting a look at it this week. I will let you know what they find out.

Shop finally called me back. So they pull the engine and tell me that I have 2 broken rings in the #6 cylinder. I also mentioned the large oil leak out of the back of the engine somewhere. The cam plug they installed was leaking badly they said.

All their fault on both issues. So they are tearing the engine down to access any further damage that may have happened to the engine. They claim the car should be ready by the end of next week. I highly doubt that, but would be pleasantly surprised if it is.

Glad this is all covered by their 3 year warranty but so sad that it only has 300 miles on it and this severe of issues.

It does suck, but it sound like some progress. I know you can't wait to enjoy the car.....Soon hopefully.

Have them take some pics, or go by and see it yourself, to ensure that the broken ring hasn't scored the cylinder - it may require boring if a light hone cant take out any damage.....

Why did the ring break? Incorrectly gapped or poor installation? It would pay to have them check all the rings and gaps.

Have them take some pics, or go by and see it yourself, to ensure that the broken ring hasn't scored the cylinder - it may require boring if a light hone cant take out any damage.....

Why did the ring break? Incorrectly gapped or poor installation? It would pay to have them check all the rings and gaps.

I will be sure to find out what is going on with it. Im also going to suggest they check all the others and it should be on there dime. It should have never happened to begin with.

Well at least they are willing to make it good. You didn't think they would.

Your right and Im still leary of them covering the entire thing. I really did expect them to say it was from abuse or some other excuse. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress and whats happening.

I really did expect them to say it was from abuse or some other excuse. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress and whats happening.

That happened to me. My friend had a '65 Formula S and needed the engine done. I pulled and sent the long block out b/c I had no time to do it myself. Got it back from a local rebuilder, dropped it in and started to hear a faint rod knock after about a month. Yanked it back out and dropped it off and that same shop to check out.

One of the rod bearings was smoked.....all scored up. All the others were beautiful. Those clowns tried to say it was from a lack of oil......just one rod bearing. :wack: I would have to choose a HIGHLY reputable shop to do any of my rebuild jobs now. It was bad enough that I had to pull the sucker back out on my time, just to be blamed. I figure maybe they didn't clean the crank or block good enough before assy.

When I brought the engine back in to their shop, I was just WAITING for them to try and pin it on me too.....LOL......friggin' people sometimes.....

-
Back