Whats that noise coming from my 318?

-
not to hijack the thread, but the first video sounds exactly like the 360 in my Duster sounds - but it sounds okay until it warms up. I was thinking burnt valve/bent pushrod, something like that, but what would cause it to sound alright when first started up, and bad after getting up to temp?

The lifters are fine. Leave it.

When they are assembled, depending on how varnished they were, they will continue to give you good service.

Sticking lifters are usually caused by oil varnishing. They likely had some old oil in them before you got them.

the lifters are fine. Leave it.

When they are assembled, depending on how varnished they were, they will continue to give you good service.

Sticking lifters are usually caused by oil varnishing. They likely had some old oil in them before you got them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ x2

not to hijack the thread, but the first video sounds exactly like the 360 in my Duster sounds - but it sounds okay until it warms up. I was thinking burnt valve/bent pushrod, something like that, but what would cause it to sound alright when first started up, and bad after getting up to temp?

Rod bearing.

A good mechanic should be able to identify which ones are ticking.

Wrong ,

at that very moment maybe, but anytime in the future another one could go

Lifters are cheap enough, a lot cheaper than paying labor rates a mechanic charges.

And then there is the whole having to remove the intake and valve covers again and the cost of gaskets.

If it is determined one lifter needs to be replaced the smart thing to do is replace them all

A good mechanic would tell you that

^^^^ This. A set of Sealed Power lifters are $50. If you're there, replace them all. If $50 is a deal breaker, you are in the wrong hobby.

Wrong ,

at that very moment maybe, but anytime in the future another one could go

Lifters are cheap enough, a lot cheaper than paying labor rates a mechanic charges.

And then there is the whole having to remove the intake and valve covers again and the cost of gaskets.

If it is determined one lifter needs to be replaced the smart thing to do is replace them all

A good mechanic would tell you that

You take the manifold off to change lifters?? ..

Hey guys,
Quick question... I got called back into work last minte and never got around to changing my oil yet. The mystery marvelis oil is still in the car but I am not currently driving my dart. Will the oil do any damage by sitting in the engine for a few more days?

No, in fact you can run small amounts of it routinely mixed in with your oil.

The oil that showed itself in the video that you took didn't look too good so obviously it needs to be changed.

you can take the lifters out with the intake on?

I can't speak to the newer engines,, but lifters can be removed, and pulled up thru the opening in the head. An intake bolt may have to be backed off a coupla turns if it projects thru the head,, but you can fish them out and change them.

I have a coupla tools to pull the lifters,, and a modified "fish-hook" remover to reach in and pull the lifter out of the valley,, or a magnet can be used as Oklacarcollecto suggested..

I've changed cams with-out taking the manifold off, ..

Interesting! I didn't know you can do that, seemed like it couldn't thru those small openings. I'll definetly keep that in mind tho!

It's not really a time saver if you gotta do a complete lifter change, specially on an old engine,, but if you just gotta do a few,, and they're fresh,, it's just convenient not dealing with the cooling system empty/fill/purge, new intake gskts, and inevitable oil change, which is a waste if it's got new oil.

Circumstances dictate which way to go.. when I take the rockers off,, I take a few seconds to reach down with a tool and pull all the lifters,, how many stick, and how hard the first stuck one comes out, is when I decide if I'm pulling the manifold..

hope it helps..

-
Back