whats the best way to get old varnish out of a tank?

-

Kidd

Reaction score
I got a 64 Valiant Signet for my wife, and the gas tank has 8 year old gassy varnish in it. I will pull the tank, and was wondering what is a way to get the residue off.....My thought is maybe a gallon of laquer thinner, and a bag of glass marbles.....roll it, shake it...anyone have a process they used? Help!!! And, thanks!!
Andrew/Kidd

I would just take it and have it cooked out but thinner would help.

Muratic acid (you can get it a pool supply store in the chemical section) and some rocks or a 4'-5' length of chain. Make sure its sealed up so nothing drips out and then spend the next day or so shaking the crap out of it. Be sure and do it in an EXTREMELY WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!! After that hose it out REALLY WELL. Get the inside dried out immediately!!! Do a final cleaning with rubbing alchohol and be ready to do the tank sealer of your choice before any rust or corrosion begin to form and ruin all of the work youve done to get it ready. Most A-body repacement tanks rund about 140-150 plus shipping so you may want to weigh the cost of just getting a new one versus all the time and expense of cleaning your old one. Tank sealing systems arent cheap. Have fun and good luck!

Or you could forget about all the messin' around and buy a new tank. The original tank lasted 40 years of daily driving and many years parked behind the shed in the grass. A new tank will cost you a few hundred (with a new sender which is probably needed) and will last longer than you own your car. I messed with the cleaning and such and replaced the tank, sender, lines, and strap, an d haven't had a problem for 5 years. http://www.quantaproducts.com/home.asp toolmanmike

i agree if you can swing it a new tank is a better option in my opinion. maybe cheaper too when you add up whats needed to clean your old one.

I've seen new tanks for about $150 lately. Seems like it's worth it rather than make a haz-mat situation and burn a lung.

You still have to dispose of the old one!
I know a couple of scrapers who will take anything. Find out first. If the junkyards in your area want it cut open first (yes, I had one tell me this) decide if it's really worth it.

I am a total do it yourself guy, including ring and pinions and automatics. I try and not let anything get in my way.........but that gas tank did.

I tried several options. Eventually after messing around for a month with filters and plugged lines etc. I took it in, had it boiled and I just let them coat it while there.

It seemed like it was $80ish or so. I have not had a problem since and I really, really wished I would have just did it to begin with.

ROB

I use that super-concentrated degreaser green soap from Harbor Freight that comes in the 1 gallon jug. It's about $10.00.....works great! I think I also used a stick with a Scotch-brite zip-tied to the end of it, for doing the scrubby thing....

Long story short....removed tank. Observed black liquid come out followed by thick as snot black goo. Put tank on trash pile and ordered a new poly one. LOL!

You still have to dispose of the old one!
I know a couple of scrapers who will take anything. Find out first. If the junkyards in your area want it cut open first (yes, I had one tell me this) decide if it's really worth it.

As long as the tank is empty they should take it. They will throw it in the back seat of some old Ford and crush the whole works.

1st choice......new tank
2nd choice.....have it hot tanked at a machine shop or radiator shop.
3rd choice......they're all equally bad......

Thanks for all the advice.My friend and engine builder owns a machine shop here in town, he said we can hot tank it.I plan on replacing and changing the sending unit and fuel line. I think I would like to coat it, just to be sure.
I like to do stuff myself....so if I end up needing a new tank, I will have everything else new already.LOL
Andrew/Kidd

-
Back