whats the difference...318 SB and 318 Wide block?

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
hey guys, i am selling a 318 SB locally and a buyer wants it for his car which originally had a 318 wide block. he wants to know if it will work for him...So will it bolt up to his tranny? any other issues?ThanksPhil

I'm assuming he has a 318 Polyspherical engine. Sometimes called a 318 poly. They were also called the A engine. The later style 273, 318, 340, & 360 engines were called LA engines but I'm pretty surethat both A and LA engines all used the same transmission bell housing pattern. Several other parts will also swap between the motors. I'm not positive that the motor mounts between the older 318 & the newer one are the same but I think they are.

...............Easy swap............u need the LA exhaust manifolds........and maybe the Y pipe................kim............

I believe the really early stuff had a different crank flange??

The early LA's from the mid 50's used a cast iron "Power flite" - 2 spd or cast iron "torqueflite", 3 spd,that had a different flange, then around "62" I believe, the LA came out with an aluminum "torqueflite" for a few yrs, that was compatible with later SB engines, phew , can't believe I remember that stuff, and still have hair..

The hub on the old converter had 6 or 8 studs, that stuck forward thru the crank flange and you had to reach up through a small space behind pan ,to undo converter nuts..

I think there might be an issue with the size of the torque convertor hub where it fit's into the crank......

hmm, alot of unknowns...i forwarded him this site, and told him to do his research. it might work, and there will be some mods needed. but i did not know how much

lots of forged LA cranks are reworked poly cranks. Well, used to be that way.....

As a complete engine, the '62 and newer 318 A engine will interchange with a 318 LA engine with the usual notes.....auto/manual crank pilot hole machining; exhaust pipes, water pump type, brackets, etc. Without knowing the exact years and options of both engines, it's hard to tell what all you'll need to do. They bolt up to the transmission. Just make sure the correct flex plate is used. They swap over, it's just the A engines all have 727's behind them and most LA 318's have 904's. Some flex plates have a different convertor bolt circle diameter.

I think there might be an issue with the size of the torque convertor hub where it fit's into the crank......
Theres some funny stuff that goes on there, it is a year dependent tihng. Of for which I'm rusty on and will decline to comment on.

Pretty sure you can drop a LA crankshaft into a poly.
Yes you can, though if you reuse the old trans, you will have to be careful of exactly what was there and what is going in at the cranks flange, flex plate, torque converter fitting all togther. Read my statement above.
I believe the really early stuff had a different crank flange??

Year dependent.

I am not sure at all on the motor mount issue.

-
Back