What's the last piston over size...

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering what the last over size pistons were that you could get for a 340. Is it 60 over? Will it still run cool with that much gone or is that hardly anything? I'm not to bright about these things :read2:

actually KB makes some .070 pistons..

but you need to know if your block can be bored that much...

As 70 said, you can only go as large as your specific block will handle (due to things like core shift). Have it sonic checked and go from there.

Fyi-- The More You Bore It.
The Thinner The Walls.
The Hotter Its Going To Run.
Depending On Were You Live ??
You Might Not Want To Drive It On 100 Degree Days.

The factory recommended .040 max on production blocks. Yes, you can possibly run more with a sonic check, and probablyb more on the beefier race blocks. Running hotter isnt as much of an issue as bore flex and ring sealing. As the bores get thinner they flex and you lose power (far more power than the little added displacement might have gained you).

If you have a single damaged bore, sleeve it. If the block is already at .040 look for another one.

Mine is punched .060 over and runs nice and cool at
a steady 180F, as for all the other issues, so far so good.

FWIW

why bore it any more than you absolutely have too. Leave as much in those cylinders as you can, uless you have a good supply of blocks a cheap good machinist. Just my 2 cents.

why bore it any more than you absolutely have too. Leave as much in those cylinders as you can, uless you have a good supply of blocks a cheap good machinist. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree. You should never bore an engine more than it needs and if it need anything over .040 have it sonic tested to make sure it can handle it.

-
Back