whats the oil that i should run

-

2 fast z28

Reaction score
hay guys wondering what oil everyone is running and why. I have a 340 with hyd flat tappet cam I heard of people running standard oil with an additive added to it but I don't want to do that I currently running joe gibbs hr oil conventional oil here is my problem a friend of mine is also running joe gibbs in two gm ls cars one 700 plus horse power and the other 1200hp and now has bearing failure and it got me thinking is it the oil or is it just his cars he is running the synthetic stuff but they were together for a while need help should I drain it and go with something else

Ive been using royal purple with good luck. Remember he has a chevy that's the problem there.

Shell Rotella T6 5w40. High ZDDP. Great price if you buy it by the gallon at Walmart.

Shell Rotella T6 5w40. High ZDDP. Great price if you buy it by the gallon at Walmart.

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/6moreoilinformationdieseloil.php

the oil company does not tell you the whole truth. They haven’t reduced their ZDDP additive but they have had to add a D.P.F. (Diesel particulate Filter) additive package and other additive package to the current diesel oil CJ-4 API rating. These additives fight against the formation of the ZDDP anti-wear film. In low RPM diesel engines this is not a problem. However, in gasoline engines that run at higher (over 3,000) rpms it is a problem.

Royal purple XPR 10 40 or amsoil Zrod , both have te right amount of zinc , over 15,000 hard miles , no troubles yet .

Disclaimer: Everyone should look up the oil they are running and find out how much ZDDP (zinc) their oil has. I believe the safe numbers are between 1000 and 1500 ppm. Use your own judgement.

Disclaimer: Everyone should look up the oil they are running and find out how much ZDDP (zinc) their oil has. I believe the safe numbers are between 1000 and 1500 ppm. Use your own judgement.
Would really help if the oil companies listed the ZDDP levels on the bottle , some do , most don't . The Royal Purple XPR has 1200 or 1300 I think , but they don't list the amount , they just state it has high zddp , found the level on the web somewhere , hope it's right

Motor oil.

Best answers right here.

I use mobil one 0w-40 currently. I almost always use some version of mobil one in all of my engines with great luck.

I use Amsoil Dominator 5w-20 in my race car. I just took a 360 out that had over 4 seasons of hard use. But I was only concerned about a mechanical failure rather than lubrication/wear issues. There are a lot of other options to choose from for any other application you may have. Zinc & phosphorous content included:

Attachments

• TSB%20MO-2007-08-08%20Flat%20Tappet.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 102
I had always been a fan of Mobil 1 oil for my Ford Ranger, so since it was brought up here I Googled Mobil 1 and ZDDP and here's what I found:

Mobil 1™ High Mileage 10W‐30
Nominal Phosphorus Level, PPM: 1000
Nominal Zinc Level, PPM: 1100

Mobil 1™ HighMileage 10W‐40
Nominal Phosphorus Level, PPM: 1000
Nominal Zinc Level, PPM: 1100

[ame="https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf"]Mobil 1 Oil Product Specs Guide[/ame]

Seems like Mobil 1 High Mileage 10-30W or 10-40W could be safe to use.

Pennzoil 10W40 with a can of STP ,which contains Zinc, at every 1000 mile oil change. I have been doing this for years in my last two and my current High Performance Mopars and I have had nothing but good results...

-
Back