What's Your Favorite Oil Pan Gasket Sealant?

-

clifftt

Reaction score
And don't just say "Permatex", that's a brand name. Looking forward to your answers.

3-M weatherstrip adhesive on the block side only, to hold the gskt in place, and 4 dabs of RTV in the corners,.. that's it,, .. let the gskt do it's job..

Be sure to hammer/tap the pan surface flat, in the bolt hole areas..

hope it helps

That soupy Permatex red sticky stuff "High tack" or "Super 300"

RTV, black on most, red on my Chrysler red engine.

I used Permatex#2 on the Hemi oil pan gasket.

I always use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive on the parts to hold the gasget. It is much easier to scrape a part clean of an old gasget than to try and scrape the block that has a gasget glued to it. I have been doing it that way for nearly 25 years.

I can't recall ever having issues using ultra black rtv in the corners, and nothing else...

right stuff all the way without gasket

few years back I used FERD diesel silicone
its gray and VERY VERY sticky
I dont remember the part number but bad *** silicone
only probleme FERD :puke:

Thanks all. I hear the Right Stuff is hard to clean off but those who use it swear by it.

I can't recall ever having issues using ultra black rtv in the corners, and nothing else...

Yes, that's me too......but I also apply it lightly (and I mean lightly) to the gasket, then lay it on the block for a while to get a little tacky, then start setting on the oil pan with the bolts just lightly tightened. Then a little while later, I'll start snugging them down. Mine don't leak, but maybe I go a little overboard on it.

One thing is.....I can't STAND if I see a gasket drenched in sealer, then tightened down quickly to where it's like a slip-n-slide, getting all distorted and weird while it's overtightened. Must be gettin' old......

Learned the hard way,as a kid. Silicone acts as a lubrication with a gasket.

Upside down, on a stand, RTV is fine,

But under the car,, the glue helps hold the gskt in place,, glue just makes a nasty job a bit easier, and trouble free..

Learned the hard way,as a kid. Silicone acts as a lubrication with a gasket.

Agreed,, in some cases the RTV actually helps gskts squeeze out,,

That's "experience",, the ability to recognize when you are about to make a mistake... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again.. lol

I use a product from my days at the Toyota dealer. They call it black seal packing. I call it Toyota black. It is a black urethane sealer that is bar none the finest sealer I have ever used. Only a dab in the corners and a thin smear along the gasket in a few spots to hold it in place.

I use Gaskacinch available by Edelbrock for the long gaskets and clear RTV for the end seals/corners.

I call it gasket-snot as it looks like buggers when it is wet, and gets rubbery when it is dry.... Like snot.... But it works great.... Achoo.....

I always use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive on the parts to hold the gasget. It is much easier to scrape a part clean of an old gasget than to try and scrape the block that has a gasget glued to it. I have been doing it that way for nearly 25 years.

x2. Ultra Grey or Ultra Black rtv (I normally get the Car Quest brand but it's Permatex product) for transitions from rubber to cork (corners).

Gaskacinch has been around for a long time. I use it.Our local CarQuest carries it.

-
Back