FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To pull an engine.

34 minutes
1968 dodge dart
Slant six with a manual transmission. Engine and trans together
No a/c and manual steering.

1. Get the front of the car on jack stands

2. Drain radiator. I start here so it can be draining while I get on other things
3. Driveshaft . 4 bolts with a 3/8" wrench one is always a challenge because it is in the driveshaft pivot. I usually put a loose yoke in the trans to prevent oil from spilling out.
4. Remove shifter and rods
5. Remove z bar.
6. Crossmember, the two bolts on the mount with a 5/8" wrench, I usually remove two of horizontal crossmember bolts and nuts and loosen the other 2.
7. Motor mount nuts.
8 by now the radiator is ready to go, but will probably still make a mess. Which is why i am pretty much done underneath anyways.

9. Throttle linkage
10. Wiring to the alternator and top of engine, don't forget reverse light switch which has wire clip on the transmission and oil pressure sender wire.
11. Fuel line. Plug it with a bolt.
12. Exhaust pipe. ( might spray with penetrating oil before starting the whole job. )
13. Connect chain on the engine puller and put tension. Remove crossmember which is already loose.

14. Proceed to lift and remove

Forgot the speedometer cable but that goes when the crossmember is loosened and the transmission mount bolts are removed

Going through it in my mind

You need to include cleaning up the mess and disposing the fluids and putting everything back where it belongs.

Three guys in a van pulled a woman's engine on the side of the highway in about five minutes on an episode of CHiPs I saw last week. The woman's Trans Am broke down, they stopped to assist, she walked to an emergency call box and while she was away they yanked the motor and took off with it in the van. She came back and was shocked to say the least.......:eek:

Been a LONG time. When I had the 440 RR at NAS Miramar, I yanked that out of there on a Sat morn, don't remember why all, and had it back in and running that same afternoon. I do remember a friend ran for lunch, and I was a tired puppy at the end.. THAT WAS WITHOUT POWER TOOLS I was on a concrete floor, creeper, and good heavy duty cherry picker. Good floor jack and stands

Also that car was easy on exhaust removal. The mufflers were "mid" mounted instead of stock location, it had side exit exhaust which I WISH I had a photo of. The exhaust had a welded crossover H pipe and a brace behind the mufflers. So it all came right off, the collectors and two hanger screws and slide it all right out of the car

This was around 71-72. I see by Google/ Bing maps that the Marines that took over Miramar finally tore down the old wood hobby shop shed a few years ago.

Any pics of this 55 bel air???

Sounds like a cool car
Yes I will find some and scan them. 2nd of two 55 BelAir's I have owned. I painted it myself with gunmetal metallic imron paint and put light blue tuck and rolled interior in it. Installed the 327/4 speed and went street racing.

Probably not record time, but we had fun. Childhood friend and I pulled the 327 out of a 67 SS Chevelle I had. Rear main seal was leaking. Got the whole job done in the driveway with hand tools and back on the road in a tick under two hours. Lessie.......this was probably "about" 1986. Those were fun times.

By myself, hand tools, hoist, 3 out, 3 in, all running and driving. 7:00am - 8:30pm.

Probably not record time, but we had fun. Childhood friend and I pulled the 327 out of a 67 SS Chevelle I had. Rear main seal was leaking. Got the whole job done in the driveway with hand tools and back on the road in a tick under two hours. Lessie.......this was probably "about" 1986. Those were fun times.
Freakin A! Bobby. Back when we were a bit younger stronger faster and stupider......
:rofl:

14 hours;Saturday and Monday of a long weekend
to pull 367/833/GVOD/3.55s and install 318/904/2.76s
From drive on to, drive off, 4-post hoist.Includes clean ups, and breaks. I was 51

17 minutes to see the A833 on the floor

To pull an engine.

34 minutes
1968 dodge dart
Slant six with a manual transmission. Engine and trans together
No a/c and manual steering.

1. Get the front of the car on jack stands

2. Drain radiator. I start here so it can be draining while I get on other things
3. Driveshaft . 4 bolts with a 3/8" wrench one is always a challenge because it is in the driveshaft pivot. I usually put a loose yoke in the trans to prevent oil from spilling out.
4. Remove shifter and rods
5. Remove z bar.
6. Crossmember, the two bolts on the mount with a 5/8" wrench, I usually remove two of horizontal crossmember bolts and nuts and loosen the other 2.
7. Motor mount nuts.
8 by now the radiator is ready to go, but will probably still make a mess. Which is why i am pretty much done underneath anyways.

9. Throttle linkage
10. Wiring to the alternator and top of engine, don't forget reverse light switch which has wire clip on the transmission and oil pressure sender wire.
11. Fuel line. Plug it with a bolt.
12. Exhaust pipe. ( might spray with penetrating oil before starting the whole job. )
13. Connect chain on the engine puller and put tension. Remove crossmember which is already loose.

14. Proceed to lift and remove

wow, it takes me 34 minutes to wake up !!

Assembled engine and installed and running in 11 hours in 72 Challenger....

Depends. A core engine and transmission I can have out in less than that. But that's going out the bottom with the K frame, using a torch on the exhaust and driveshaft, and cutters on hoses. If I'm being careful it's usually an hour or so.

It took about an hour and a half for me to pull the slant 6 and manual trans out of my Valiant. That includes the battery, radiator, linkages, and wiring.
Now it's looking like 2 years to get the replacement motor installed... LOL

It took about an hour and a half for me to pull the slant 6 and manual trans out of my Valiant. That includes the battery, radiator, linkages, and wiring.
Now it's looking like 2 years to get the replacement motor installed... LOL
That is usually how it goes lol

Crap it took me all day just to put my 367 together. And this after I paid the engine shop to do it. I'll never let someone else put my engines together, even if it takes me two days.

Exactly... Some people take short cuts that I wouldn't want in my engines, so I build my own so I know that it's done right... (And minimize my chance of breaking down....) :steering:

-
Back