Where to buy an electric fan setup?

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
I have a '62 Valiant with a 408 and a ThermoQuad. It doesn't have enough hood clearance to allow me to use a fiber insulating spacer under the TQ. Even though I've cut away the hood braces around the air cleaner, it just barely clears the hood.

The car has a bad case of heat soak, where it doesn't want to re-start after being driven on a hot day and then left to sit for about 15 minutes or more. It does eventually start if I open the hood, take the top off the air cleaner and let it cool a bit, but that is a pain.

I've considered installing a hood scoop to let the hot underhood air escape, but but I think that would be difficult to mount one. It would have to be heavily cut and shaped because the '62 Valiant has a pronounced upward crease in the center of the hood. Neither do I relish the idea of cutting up my nicely-painted hood and then having to refinish it after the scoop is installed.

I think I want to install an electric fan setup that would keep the fan on for a few minutes when the hot engine is turned off. Does anybody sell such a fan kit that a dummy like me might be able to install a little easier than assembling such a system from parts?

I know my fellow FABOites will come through for me like they always do. Thanks a lot in advance, as usual. You guys are really smart!

It will help cool the radiator off but not so sure it is going to help with your heat soak troubles....coolant is not going to be flowing so how is it going to pull the heat out of the intake/karbonator?

What kind of intake? Did you block the heat passages in the intake or not? Mine are blocked. No problems with heat soak, but I also don't have a Thermoquad.

Cheapest, and best, is a junkyard fan with a new <$30 controller. I use fans from a 1980's M-B. Even better is a Ford 2-spd fan, but requires more controls. You can pay more for new after-market but they don't move as much air.

Have you checked the routing on the fuel line. It seems that most V-8s back in the day had fuel lines that came close to exhaust manifolds and water pumps. Try to insulate line from direct exposure to heat source.

I've modified 2" long, uninsulated, alligator clips to hold an aluminum tube wrapper along parts of a steel fuel line. The idea was to add surface area to improve dissipation. It looks like 3rd world engineering, but it did solve a problem.

"What kind of intake? Did you block the heat passages in the intake or not?"

Edelbrock Performer.

Not sure if I blocked the heat passages or not! They should be blocked, right?

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

Hey, gang, I hope you don't mind if I bump this thread up again. Has anyone ever installed a electric water pump drive kit (such as the Proform 66235B, pictured below) on an LA engine? (From the catalog picture it looks like it would interfere with my alternator.)

I propose to hook it up to an engine temperature sensor and relay in order to keep the coolant circulating after the ignition is turned off, until the engine cools down.

I sure would appreciate any suggestions or guidance on this. Maybe my alternator can be mounted in another position? Thanks again.

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 182

Edelbrock Performer.

Not sure if I blocked the heat passages or not! They should be blocked, !

Yes! Try that and checking your fuel line routing. I don't think a fan is the answer. Try a phenolic spacer yet? Or even the cheapo Eddy cardboard one? Both have helped me in the past with same issue.

-
Back