Where to go to get door properly aligned...

-

Rude72*

Reaction score
Sorry if this post is not in the correct thread... newbie here. Just purchased a 1972 Plymouth Duster 340 Tribute. The car is beautiful in every way, with a few minor exceptions. One of those being... the driver's side door closes, but it is not closing very smoothly. I am thinking that it is "off" a bit where it catches the latch. Is this something a body shop should correct or do you think my local mechanic can tackle this? Thanks for any/all suggestions!

Sorry if this post is not in the correct thread... newbie here. Just purchased a 1972 Plymouth Duster 340 Tribute. The car is beautiful in every way, with a few minor exceptions. One of those being... the driver's side door closes, but it is not closing very smoothly. I am thinking that it is "off" a bit where it catches the latch. Is this something a body shop should correct or do you think my local mechanic can tackle this? Thanks for any/all suggestions!

It’s not rocket science.
Any half competent person with tools should be able to take care of that as long as the hinges are decent.

That said, the list of half competent people seems to be getting shorter by the day.

I don't think that was the constructive answer the OP was hoping for........Rude72, please excuse him.

So, as you stated you a newbie and believe me even an experienced person may have a difficult time with the tedious task of adjusting doors and gaps. Make sure the hinges and pins are good and if it's close, get a friend to assist you. There is equipment to help hold doors too, but you could also use a floor jack with a few blocks of wood on the bottom of the door (not the lip). Take your time, you will get frustrated. Walk away and give it a shot with a clear mind. The adjustments should be pretty straight forward once you see the hinges and how they work. Again, use patience and don't go slamming the door shut until you get it right. If the doors sags, seek out the friendly member here who offers a rebuild service (sorry, his username escapes me). I have used him for hinge rebuild.

If all else fails, a bodyman should be able to help.

Ok, first things first.

1. Open the door , grab it by the bottom and lift up on it. It shouldn't move. If it does, the hinges and pins are worn.

2. If hinges are ok, close the door and check the body lines where the panel gaps are. They should line up. If not, you will need to adjust the door. This is done by loosening the bolts holding the hinges onto the door frame and the door itself, BUT, DON'T DO THIS YET!!!
3. If the alignment is off, sight down the door and see if it is standing out from the fender and/ or quarter panel. This will determine how you proceed with the adjustments.

4. If you can provide some pics looking straight at the door when its closed and pics looking down the side from the fender back and from the quarter panel forward , we may be able to help some more.

I don't think that was the constructive answer the OP was hoping for........Rude72, please excuse him.

So, as you stated you a newbie and believe me even an experienced person may have a difficult time with the tedious task of adjusting doors and gaps. Make sure the hinges and pins are good and if it's close, get a friend to assist you. There is equipment to help hold doors too, but you could also use a floor jack with a few blocks of wood on the bottom of the door (not the lip). Take your time, you will get frustrated. Walk away and give it a shot with a clear mind. The adjustments should be pretty straight forward once you see the hinges and how they work. Again, use patience and don't go slamming the door shut until you get it right. If the doors sags, seek out the friendly member here who offers a rebuild service (sorry, his username escapes me). I have used him for hinge rebuild.

FABO member 'MoparLeo' rebuilds door hinges but is taking a little time off due to a personal emergency.

All it might need is the latch adjusted in or out or up/down just a bit.

Another thread with some ideas…

Door sticks

And a door latch adjustment…
IMG_6846.jpeg

All it might need is the latch adjusted in or out or up/down just a bit.
Yup!

It could be that easy.

No way to know without some more info though.

Moving the latch does not fix a worn hinge pin problem if that's the cause.

It’s not rocket science.
Any half competent person with tools should be able to take care of that as long as the hinges are decent.

That said, the list of half competent people seems to be getting shorter by the day.
I agree... I am half-competent when it comes to anything that involves cars. Hence, the main reason I became a forum member. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thanks 340sport for the detailed explanation. Sounds like a nightmare process for me! I don't have much patience. And my inexperience just adds to the probability of a bad outcome. At least I now know that my body shop company can take care of it. I do NOT trust myself with this type of situation. Thanks again for your guidance with this!

Yeah on a charger I've done a quick and dirty version of that. Honestly I don't care much that my door sags when open but I ain't got no show cars.
I'm pretty much the same way most of the time. But this particular car is beautiful inside and out (including engine bay and motor). I want to make it "right".

I'm pretty much the same way most of the time. But this particular car is beautiful inside and out (including engine bay and motor). I want to make it "right".
Well... there's a right way and a ton of wrong ways to do something. Sounds like your car's worth it and its even better when you learn to do something yourself.

Your issue is not that complicated and is easily fixed following the right procedures.

There's a vast wealth of info on this site about everything A-Body and lots of members willing to help if you need it.

Well... there's a right way and a ton of wrong ways to do something. Sounds like your car's worth it and its even better when you learn to do something yourself.

Your issue is not that complicated and is easily fixed following the right procedures.

There's a vast wealth of info on this site about everything A-Body and lots of members willing to help if you need it.
I appreciate your response, S-C. I wish I had the confidence to try this myself. I have tried fixing things in the past with some disappointing results. I would lose my s*** if I messed something up on this car.

I understand about it being even better when you can work on/fix things yourself. I play bass and I have learned to do a few things on my own (string changes, adjustments to saddles, trussrod adjustment, setting action and intonation, etc.) without having to take it to a luthier. However, there's a big difference between making a flub on an $800 bass as opposed to the worth of this car. I will do a little research first however, before I just "give up". Thanks again for the reply.

First reference is Something you should have in your Garage.
The Factory Service Manual for your car.
There are free downloads available.
Here are some reprints for an A-body.
Take your time.

Attachments

• abody1hinge.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • abody2hinge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • DOOR REMOVAL AND INSTALL PROCEDURE.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 16
First reference is Something you should have in your Garage.
The Factory Service Manual for your car.
There are free downloads available.
Here are some reprints for an A-body.
Take your time.
I appreciate your help, Leo. Thank you!

Ok, first things first.

1. Open the door , grab it by the bottom and lift up on it. It shouldn't move. If it does, the hinges and pins are worn.

2. If hinges are ok, close the door and check the body lines where the panel gaps are. They should line up. If not, you will need to adjust the door. This is done by loosening the bolts holding the hinges onto the door frame and the door itself, BUT, DON'T DO THIS YET!!!
3. If the alignment is off, sight down the door and see if it is standing out from the fender and/ or quarter panel. This will determine how you proceed with the adjustments.

4. If you can provide some pics looking straight at the door when its closed and pics looking down the side from the fender back and from the quarter panel forward , we may be able to help some more.
Thanks, S-C. I have a busy weekend ahead but I’ll try to get to this. Much appreciated!

Jack up the back of the door, bends the door frame to bring it back into alignment after sagging down for 40 years.

Want to protect the rocker and door shell and skin. Steel 5' long pry bar and lift it up as needed.

Final adjust the striker pin, for smooth closing.

☆☆☆☆☆

How is that done?
65 dartman is correct about the adjustment but don't do it until you have determined if your hinges are good or need to be repaired/replaced. If the hinges are bad it will be a temporary fix at best.
Remember, this is also a safety issue and adjusting a door latch incorrectly can affect how well it stays closed. That's why you need to determine what's wrong first.

65 dartman is correct about the adjustment but don't do it until you have determined if your hinges are good or need to be repaired/replaced. If the hinges are bad it will be a temporary fix at best.
Remember, this is also a safety issue and adjusting a door latch incorrectly can affect how well it stays closed. That's why you need to determine what's wrong first.
OK... sounds good. Thanks for clarifying.

-
Back