Where you guys placing the ECU on 65 Cudas/A bodies?

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
My 65 cuda currently has its ECU spliced into the factory points engine harness, and it is a mess of cobbled up wires. I'm looking to buy a new one thru Evans wiring for $110.00. He however says the ones that he has are designed to be placed next to passenger valve cover. I have AC, so my firewall on that side is full. The current spliced one sits on the Middle of the fender well on Passenger side, but his does not have enough length to reach there. Any suggestions, or Pix of where you guys have yours placed, or anyone that has bought one from him and made it work with AC.
Thanks a bunch,
Highway star

I put mine on the passenger fender close to the fire wall. I used wiring harness I cut from an auto wrecker car and they were long enough to reach distributer from the ECU or ICU as I call it. ignition control unit
It's an old picture of before the car was painted. Car has the motor back in but I haven't finished off the wiring yet.

IMG_2184.JPEG

I dont have a picture, but I mounted mine inside the firewall. cut the wires, ran them through a grommet, & soldered them. I mainly did it because I didn't want to see it (pre ECU car). I was worried that if I needed to troubleshoot, it would be a PITA, but since I never had a problem, that was a non-issue. BUT, that was an original MP conversion kit from the days when you could trust stuff to work and last.

Here is my current location, but I need to get it closer to work with the pre made harness, unless I can get him to make me a custom engine harness.
I'd like to see a few more, if you guys got pics of them. Also looking for a 273 air cleaner, would trade the one I got or buy yours.
Highway star

20220307_191800.jpg

I put mine on the passenger fender close to the fire wall. I used wiring harness I cut from an auto wrecker car and they were long enough to reach distributer from the ECU or ICU as I call it. ignition control unit
It's an old picture of before the car was painted. Car has the motor back in but I haven't finished off the wiring yet.

View attachment 1715883926
I have mine in about the same spot, but with the plug side turned toward the engine. It just kinda fell into place there. Yours looks nice.

I always found that the box mounted on a bracket to provide an AirGap under the box as well as an additional ground helps the box to live longer.

I put the box on the driver's side inner fender of my 65 Barracuda, mostly because that's where the then new early seventies A bodies put them. Been in the same spot since 73. Not necessary to get an engine wiring harness specifically for electronic ignition. I just got a separate electronic ignition harness, routed it through the factory clips, but did not try to integrate it into the standard engine harness.

65 barracuda motor 29.jpg

I put the box on the passenger side inner fender of my 63 Valiant because that's the side my slant 6's distributor is on.

20210713_203938 (2).jpg

-
Back