Wheres the timing mark?

-
So just how many degrees are you turning the distributor? If your ignition timing is 40 degrees advanced, then you should be able to turn the distributor 20 degrees CW and get it to 0. Or will the distributor body not turn 20 degrees CW?

If you turn it that far, and the engine starts to misfire, then that sounds like the rotor is misaligned. If it just starts running with a poor idle, then you have some tuning to do.

Try setting to 20 degrees advance, where your damper mark is at the 10 mark CCW from the timing cover's 0 mark (based on your 0 Mark pix) and see how it idles.
I'll try it tonight, the body has room to move cw, but it would hardly run and like crap. I'll see if I can get it near the Mark's tonight and report back. Thanks for all the tips.

In your pic with the tape on the balancer and the 2 black marks. The factory mark(in white) is right in the middle as it should be, BUT it's not lined up with TDC marks on timing cover?? Did you rotate to take pic?
Take a marker and draw a straight line across the inner and outer rings. That will show if it slips. Same theory as racers marking rims and tires.

I am really embarrassed to say it but it was all my fault. I started by removing the p/s belt and moved the pump over to actually see the timing marks better, see I had to build a new bracket to move the pump up since the AMC steering box is up front so now it actually covers the area to actually see anything. I retarded the distributor housing to align the pickup, reluctor and rotor to #1 on the cap and started the engine, I had to advance it just a smidge but got it to idle....and yep there was the timing mark sneaking past the w/p housing. I raised the idle to 700 rpm and set it to 10* with the hose plugged. I took a victory lap around the block, man it runs so much better. Thanks everyone for putting up with this old turd.

20200217_172533.jpg

I am really embarrassed to say it but it was all my fault. I started by removing the p/s belt and moved the pump over to actually see the timing marks better, see I had to build a new bracket to move the pump up since the AMC steering box is up front so now it actually covers the area to actually see anything. I retarded the distributor housing to align the pickup, reluctor and rotor to #1 on the cap and started the engine, I had to advance it just a smidge but got it to idle....and yep there was the timing mark sneaking past the w/p housing. I raised the idle to 700 rpm and set it to 10* with the hose plugged. I took a victory lap around the block, man it runs so much better. Thanks everyone for putting up with this old turd.

View attachment 1715472197

Well good! Glad you got it. You should continue to zoom in on timing. "Usually" these engines "end up" around 16-20 (possibly more) initial and around 34-36 or so total. Sounds like a lot but that's generally where they run best.

-
Back