Which Air Compressor should I buy?

Which compressor should I buy?

• Campbell Hausfeld 30 Gal. 2hp 135 psi Max.

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Central Pneumatic 29 Gal. 2hp 150 psi Max.

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
I have an 80 Gallon 2 Stage Ir one. Don't remember the cfm but it is up there aways. Got it as a refurbished one from Home Depot for $700 or so. Had one of those little 30 gallon deals. Was using my plasma cutter with it removing the rivets from the body mounts of a Ranger I was working on, it had ran a good 30 minutes or so without shutting off. I heard this banging sound in the garage and lost pressure. Went in the garage and the pumps innards were now its outards.....Sprayed oil all over the ceiling floors and walls.....

Thanks for the input I appreciate it, but that price seems high for a used one, almost as much as a new one.....

Thanks for the input I appreciate it, but that price seems high for a used one, almost as much as a new one.....

You're missing the point, you have to compare the specs.

Craftsman 30 gal. Air Compressor, 6 hp, Vertical Tank, Oil Free Pump Model# 919.167313 - Displacement 11.9 CFM - 120V/15A 8.6 SCFM @ 40PSI - 6.4 SCFM @ 90PSI

There is NO WAY a 120 V unit will handle the demands of any serious air tools. Die grinders, dual action sanders, air files, air nibblers all draw a lot of air and REQUIRE at least a 5 HP 220v air compressor.

A lot of 120v air compressors will claim some wild HP numbers but simply put at 120v and a standard 15 amp outlet the maximum sustainable 2 HP. A 2 HP compressor does not produce the cfm necessary to run most automotive shop tools. Air tools used in construction like finish nailers and framing nailers simply don't use very much air. A single die grinder can use 6-8 CFM at 90 PSI.

I know you want portable, but this compressor is only a few dollars more and yet runs on 220v and will easily provide the CFM you're looking for:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3310006

Regards,

Joe Dokes

There is NO WAY a 120 V unit will handle the demands of any serious air tools. Die grinders, dual action sanders, air files, air nibblers all draw a lot of air and REQUIRE at least a 5 HP 220v air compressor.

A lot of 120v air compressors will claim some wild HP numbers but simply put at 120v and a standard 15 amp outlet the maximum sustainable 2 HP. A 2 HP compressor does not produce the cfm necessary to run most automotive shop tools. Air tools used in construction like finish nailers and framing nailers simply don't use very much air. A single die grinder can use 6-8 CFM at 90 PSI.

I know you want portable, but this compressor is only a few dollars more and yet runs on 220v and will easily provide the CFM you're looking for:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3310006

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I agree that's a better buy...but only if he's wired for 220

I bought this one a year ago at a yard sale for 150 bucks 60 gallon/6 hp it has kept up with all my air tools and painting needs so far, my old compressor was a 20 gal and just would not keep up.Check out craigs list or yard sales,pawn shops ect.

Attachments

• metal work-white topper 010.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 375
Found this on your local Craigslist. Pretty good deal for $250
3I93pa3l15I95N55F3cbf9a0fa79f3e4d1d4d.jpg

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yeah, that's the one I'm gonna buy. I am installing a sub panel in my garage now, so running 220 line will be no problem.

I just bought a quincy...holy crap...can barely hear it run and its like havin a hemi when it comes to power...was gonna get a gas powered air blower for chores around the property...won't be needin one...can run my paint gun without a tank....five year warranty with purchase of one year service kit, got it at northern tools in ocala...very happy with the purchase

Harry, maybe you should look at the one seabee posted. That's a good price.

I agree...if you're going the 220v route, the one that seabee posted is a great buy..and it will keep some greenbacks in your pocket for other stuff.

Campbell used to have that same 60 gal tank,with a 2 stage 5h.p.motor.Picked it up,at Harbor Freight 12 years ago for 4 bills. Still alive today.Painted 10 or 12 cars with it,ported 6 or 7 sets of heads with it,a beast.Left it in my old shop,no room at home.C/H makes some decent stuff.

Yeah what ever you don't waste your money on an oil less one ever. You wont ever find service parts for them and you will loose your hearing attempting to use them.

Big thing with the CH 60 gallon one you can rebuild most of that if it does break and if you can't or don't want to then you can modify motors or pumps for higher end machines to your big tank

I was going to go with the CH 60 gallon one but the wife stepped up and helped me get the IR 60gallon 5hp one :)

I have used the Craftsman portable over the last 10 years or so and it has worked for me. It struggles to keep up and I have to sit and wait for it to catch up sometimes but I paid about $200 for it new and it has been OK. Tractor Supply is selling the 60 Gallon 3HP Campbell Hausfeld for $429 until January something. Normally it is $469 and I have seen it on sale for as low as $416 in the last few months. I plan on buying one as soon as I get my stuff in order and pole barn ready. Looking at the important specs (Flow Rate: 11.8 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 10.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI) This should run my air tools or even a HVLP spray gun in the future. I read many reviews of this compressor and the others from Lowes, Home Depot etc. and this one definetly seems to be the best value. I will give and update after I buy, install and use but hope this helps. I wired in a 220V circuit this summer getting ready.

Attachments

• craftsman air compressor.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 333
  • campbell hausfeld 60 gallon.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 324
I called Tractor Supply today and they are holding a CH 60 gallon compressor, the one in your pic, for $429.99. I will go out Saturday and pay for it. Then figure out how the hell I'm gonna get it home :scratch:.

A little late to the show here, but I have a 5hp 220v Husky, its great for air tools, but I do quite a bit of sandblasting and it doesnt keep up....gotta do the nosepickin' waiting game with it, next one will be a 2stage. One thing I heard from an ol-timer. Run synthetic oil in it...pricy, but when you think bout it how often do you change oil?? So the cost is negligible

One thing I heard from an ol-timer. Run synthetic oil in it...pricy, but when you think bout it how often do you change oil?? So the cost is negligible

Yep! The manuals actually recommend synthetic, after of course they recommend their own brand of compressor oil...lol.

In the market for a 60 or 80 gallon 5 hp compressor. Any suggestions? I've read lots of reviews and see good and bad for EVERYTHING!!!! Does anyone make a decent one anymore?

Will be used for occasional garage use - working on cars, air tools, painting, and some painting.

Well I love my IndustrialAir. If you have Farm & Fleets there (not Fleet Farm), maybe they carry it. I posted this earlier in the thread I think, but I got mine for $1000 when it was on sale, plus got their credit card for another 10% off. Maybe it was less than $1000 at the time. Anyway, it's been going strong for about 2 years now, gets real regular use, it's very powerful. I love it. Very happy I went with it. Mine is the 80 gallon, 2-stage, 5.2hp. Not sure who else carries it, but I remember when I was comparing, F&F had by far the best price.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...stage-industrial-compressor.html#.UWHna1o9zvY

If you want quality go Champion or Quincy. More money but worth it in the long run as parts will always be available. I bought my Champion used, put a new valve plate, gaskets and synthetic oil in it and it rocks. I'm into it $800.00. I got lucky and found it as I was fixing to order a new one from these guys: http://www.tptools.com/Air-Compressors.html But as with anything it all depends on what you want to do with it and how long you want to keep it.

-
Back