which camshaft ??

-

Ryan426_

Reaction score
i am restoring a duster 340 back to original it is a 71 motor iam wondering what is the best cam to use i was going to use an original spec cam but not sure if it will have that muscle car sound --i do plan on using flowmaster exhuast-- i want something that will have a nice muscle car sound but not to much lope thanks for the input

What's the rest of your combo? I would recommend Comp Cams XE268. A lot of members are using this cam with good results.

Good idea on the Comp Cam, however, just food for thought here, MoPar Performance has a updated 340 cam. Same duration specs with a slightly different lift and more overlap on a tighter centerline. Sounds like it's there. Same power band.

not really sure the whole motor is all original parts im not really looking to build the motor up i just wanna make sure i get a nice sound and im not to sure if the original spec cam will provide that sound im sure it would though

Only to a degree since stock engines, even hi-po factory units are made to last awhile so theres no warranty issues. Granted, some big blocks were a bit crazy back in the days before the 340, like that 13-1 monster big block. But not so with the 340.

You want more of a chop to your idle? The replacement 340 cam will do it. So would the comp cam.

on comp cam website there is this cam but i beilive it is the exact factory spec 340 cam is that the one u are talking about rumblefish and 340sfastback
cam
*P4452782 268/276 228/235 44 114 0.429"/0.444" Idle–5800 Muscle car – factory original

I've never read that article until now. That IS a great write up. It also emphasizes the value of headers on a near stock motor. HP is up 16-21 from 3600 RPMs all the way through 5800 RPMs just from the header swap.

I said;

You want more of a chop to your idle? The replacement 340 cam will do it.
This should have ment, updated cam, the cam that replaces the OE stock HP cam for better performance.

MoPar Performance has a updated 340 cam. Same duration specs with a slightly different lift and more overlap on a tighter centerline. Sounds like it's there. Same power band

Comp has exact OE grinds. I mentioned nothing about this repop OE cam.

MoPar also has an updated version in addition to an exact OE grind.

Though I do not have the updated cams part number on hand.

I think they are talking about the Comp Xtreme Energy Cam. It is

268-280 adv dur
224-230 at 50
.477-.480 lift
110 lsa

Hard to believe they made the comment that the stock 340 cam and the 268 are similar!!!!!

Maybe close advertised duration and lift but not if you look at the duration @ .050, that tells a different story.

on comp cam website there is this cam but i beilive it is the exact factory spec 340 cam is that the one u are talking about rumblefish and 340sfastback
cam
*P4452782 268/276 228/235 44 114 0.429"/0.444" Idle–5800 Muscle car – factory original

Thats the one I have in my car. Its a very nice cam but I'd go with the Comp 268 if I were to do it over again.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-738676943

In this article, the got 35 horsepower just from a swap to an 800 CFM carb. They admit that the original AVS was not in perfect tune. How much horsepower could one realistically expect if the original carb was is good shape. It's just that 35 horsepower from a carb swap seems a little high. Don't get me wrong, I have a 69 340, and I'm looking to do some of these mods from the article, just wanted to get some thoughts on the carb.

I think a good running stock 340 will put out well over 300 hp with a correctly working stock carb. While you may gain some top end with the bigger carb you will loose some bottom end too. The stock carb they were using must have been in really bad shape because you aren't going to get 35hp just by going to the bigger carb. At least not on a stock 340.

I would suggest the Lunati 60403 Cam. Why? because it's used to take advantage of the .903 lifter size, has great street manners, pulls lots of vacuum, power, and the idle sounds awesome.

I'm using it currently, and am very impressed, it's by far the BEST cam I've ever used to date. This is over the Comp Cams XE268, Mopar 509, and stock 340 replacement cam.

Just my personal preference.

Sure it's bigger, seems "too big" but I assure you it's not. Many have used it, and said nothing but good things about it, and even the larger 60404 cam in a 340.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-738676943

In this article, the got 35 horsepower just from a swap to an 800 CFM carb. They admit that the original AVS was not in perfect tune. How much horsepower could one realistically expect if the original carb was is good shape. It's just that 35 horsepower from a carb swap seems a little high. Don't get me wrong, I have a 69 340, and I'm looking to do some of these mods from the article, just wanted to get some thoughts on the carb.

35 hp over a poor running, tuned and out of wack carb? You betcha!!!!!!! You can get this on the same carb. If it is rich and leaking or what ever, you CAN find this type of power.

Krazed. The Lunati is the only one listed that takes advantage of the .904 lifter. The Comp XE series does not take advantage as much as it could, but, the XE high lift does take advantage as much as possible for the line of cams it's under.

Comp has a few race grinds that take full advantage. They are a little stouter than the hi-lift XE series.

-
Back