which distributor?

-

2nd chance

Reaction score
which distributor would be the best mopar performance or msd pro-billet with vacuum advance...for my 360 engine with comp cams 520/540 lift and 244/252 duration. with j heads bored 30 over...edelbrock performer rpm intake...thunder series edelbrock carb 650cfms.

which distributor would be the best mopar performance or msd pro-billet with vacuum advance...for my 360 engine with comp cams 520/540 lift and 244/252 duration. with j heads bored 30 over...edelbrock performer rpm intake...thunder series edelbrock carb 650cfms.

I like the Mopar unit best. It's simple, affordable and WORKS. Plus it's made by Chrysler. Just my opinion.

MSD..they're all i use....mopar crap doesn't compare..

Just because someone uses something does not ALWAYS mean it is the absolute BEST for everyone. I have used MP stock style MP Dist recurved with very much success and others have also.

Just because someone throws $$ at something doesn't means it is the best or runs any better! I have RUINED many guys that think like this with BIG ego's and more $$ invested. They usually take off with their tail between their legs, bummed!

The part I like about MSD, is that you can change the advance stop bushing and advance rate(springs) from car to car. IMO, they are more tuneable than even the later MP distributors that ARE curveable.
The downfall with a dist that has the slots welded up are its only good for THAT engine in THAT car with THAT setup....not very modular.
The newer MP unit has come along way. But with MP being about $170 and the MSD is $200, not much of a difference.

Accel 59301[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-59301-Performance-Replacement-Distributor/dp/B000CIEK4W"]Amazon.com: ACCEL 59301 Performance Replacement Distributor: Roy Hamilton: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M--v7LLeL.@@AMEPARAM@@41M--v7LLeL[/ame]

It has adj vacuum advance and there is a kit you can buy that adj the mechanical advance. Best thing I've got for my car (except for the electric cut outs).

The kit comes with keys and springs that give the correct gap. Super easy to tune.

The part I like about MSD, is that you can change the advance stop bushing and advance rate(springs) from car to car. IMO, they are more tuneable than even the later MP distributors that ARE curveable.
The downfall with a dist that has the slots welded up are its only good for THAT engine in THAT car with THAT setup....not very modular.
The newer MP unit has come along way. But with MP being about $170 and the MSD is $200, not much of a difference.

If he already has the stock distributor it will be alot less than the MSD to get curved.

I like the MP distributor. But then again, it doesn't cover all the bases and newer more modern dizzy's are really good being more adjustable. Cost is the down side like said above. Formost street, street strip applications, the MP unit will do real well at a low cost.

Just because someone uses something does not ALWAYS mean it is the absolute BEST for everyone. I have used MP stock style MP Dist recurved with very much success and others have also.

Just because someone throws $$ at something doesn't means it is the best or runs any better! I have RUINED many guys that think like this with BIG ego's and more $$ invested. They usually take off with their tail between their legs, bummed!

Thats nice but i'm NOT one of those guys..i've been in this game a longggg and know what works, compared side by side a mopar dist. is no comparison to an msd,,it was night and day the first time i switched and seems to be the same feeling from many of the guys i know running an msd...:-D:-D

Thats nice but i'm NOT one of those guys..i've been in this game a longggg and know what works, compared side by side a mopar dist. is no comparison to an msd,,it was night and day the first time i switched and seems to be the same feeling from many of the guys i know running an msd...:-D:-D

A MSD was not better on my mostly street engine that runs 13.50's. Just shelled out big bucks for a MSD billet dist. and it runs absolutely no better at all. It's also worse on fuel consumption. But I expected it might be since it has no vacuum advance. So what it really comes down to is it depends on the application and if the dist. is set up properly, regardless of brand.

Cant believe nobody has suggested FBO! Call up Don, give him yer specs and he'll build you a custom MP style distributor! Got mine for $211 to my door...and that included a copy of his tuning guide and a pigtail connector to plug/play w/ my MSD Digi 6 box...

www.4secondsflat.com

Cant believe nobody has suggested FBO! Call up Don, give him yer specs and he'll build you a custom MP style distributor! Got mine for $211 to my door...and that included a copy of his tuning guide and a pigtail connector to plug/play w/ my MSD Digi 6 box...

www.4secondsflat.com

That's just a stock electronic Mopar dist. that's been custom curved by Don.

If you can find a good mopar adjustable advance distributor that has the right rotor/cap/reluctor phasing then go that route.

If not...buy a MSD pro billet and don't look back.

A MSD was not better on my mostly street engine that runs 13.50's. Just shelled out big bucks for a MSD billet dist. and it runs absolutely no better at all. It's also worse on fuel consumption. But I expected it might be since it has no vacuum advance. So what it really comes down to is it depends on the application and if the dist. is set up properly, regardless of brand.

Then something is not right,as soon as i installed the msd my plugs were firing cleaner,starts are much better too and performance can be felt right in the seat of the pants..

I agree, something isn't right, not sure what though. My car runs so much better than it did with the MP unit.

I have a Mallory dual point for $40 including shipping.

-
Back