Which dual quad set up?

-

charger426

Reaction score
I'm planning out my stroker motor for my 71 swinger. I'm planning on going with a 512 stroker kit from 440source. Depending on what my buddy does with his car I might end up with his CNC ported 440source stealth heads or I'll be buying a new set of CNCed edelbrock heads. I'm also going to be running schumacher trip-y headers . This will be a 95% street car with maybe 5% of drag time when I feel like taking out. So I wanted a set up with electric choke so I wouldn't have a problem firing it up on a cold morning and heading to work.

I'm stuck on an intake set up. I want to a dual quad set up but not sure if I should go with a edelbrock's dual plan set up or a tunnel ram. I was raised to think that tunnel ram set ups are for pure race applications only but after reading the below hot rod article (little old but numbers are numbers) it looks like they saw better numbers across the board. I've been looking around on some boards and while most tunnel ram set ups are on race cars some guys are running them on daily drivers an are very happy.

Do you guys think this a tunnel ram would work with the combo of parts I've laid out so fair or am I'm looking at a miss matching of parts?

Oh another thing would be hood clearance problems. I'm planing on going with a 4" Hemi scoop so I would think that would be enough room for a tunnel ram but I don't know.

LOL! Really! You want to run a tunnel ram and your worries about hood clearance!?!?!

I'm removing myself from this thread. Have a great day!

95% street time & tri-Ys. Electric choke for easy cold morning
start to go to work. Sounds to me like you don't want a tunnel ram.
You better go with the edelbrock dual plane CH28 or even better a RPM as much as I dislike them. They run like a stock
manifold for daily cold weather use.
Why so much stroke for such little flow heads. Building a tractor.

I know its pricey but using a 440 crossram from A&A transmissions would solve your hood clearance problems and give the car that WOW factor when you raise the hood. You could even badge it with Max Wedge stuff. The runners, since the right carb feeds the left ports and vice versa, means that the runners are as long as the tunnel ram runners and designed to run right into the port for velocity. Another alternative is an old Edelbrock STR-15 crossram.

95% street time & tri-Ys. Electric choke for easy cold morning
start to go to work. Sounds to me like you don't want a tunnel ram.
You better go with the edelbrock dual plane CH28 or even better a RPM as much as I dislike them. They run like a stock
manifold for daily cold weather use.
Why so much stroke for such little flow heads. Building a tractor.

Yeah the CH28 was what I was looking at then stubbed onto the hot rod article I posted above that got me thinking.

I thought the flow number were good on the CNC ported stealth/RPM eddys. Maybe I'm mistaken though. I'm just looking for really fun street car with a bunch of stroke. Long story short I'm doing this car the way I was trying to get my dad to build his 69 charger when I was a kid. Big stroked motor dual 4s stuff like that. He past 1 year ago Monday so while he isnt around I still want to build this how we talked about.

Flow Chart: CNC Stealth Cylinder Heads
Flowed at 28" on a 4.380" bore with a Superflow 600 bench.
Exhaust flowed with 2" tube.

Valve Lift: Intake CFM: Exhaust CFM:
.100" 75.0 72.9
.200" 156.7 124.8
.300" 219.8 166.4
.400" 266.2 198.1
.500" 298.8 219.3
.550" 306.2 228.6
.600" 314.9 233.3
.650" 320.7 238.2
.700" 320.7 243.8
.750" 321.6 248.2

Lurk around "For B Bodies Only" (FBBO). Lot's of guy's running low rise dual quads on their cars. I'm sure you can gain some info over there. :thumbrig:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forum.php

Yep been digging around there some too :) I have sometime before I plan on putting together this motor but I like having a plan in place so I can pick up parts as I find them used/on-sale

I know its pricey but using a 440 crossram from A&A transmissions would solve your hood clearance problems and give the car that WOW factor when you raise the hood. You could even badge it with Max Wedge stuff. The runners, since the right carb feeds the left ports and vice versa, means that the runners are as long as the tunnel ram runners and designed to run right into the port for velocity. Another alternative is an old Edelbrock STR-15 crossram.

While those crossrams look amazing...thats a tough nut to crack on the price.

I run a indy tunnel ram on my low deck motor with 1050s and it fits under my sixpack scoop,,tunnel ram would look cool on the street out the hood,or you might want to keep it under the hood so it looks like its a sleeper,or the taller sixpack scoop would be cool,even though mines a race car I wish I can drive it on the street

Attachments

• 1800306_732085670184238_5168563375814018913_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 545
  • 10348287_732085876850884_3140275902354322634_n.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 509
  • tn.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 10659181_290552821135299_6404154833733951408_n.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 521
Here's my Duster with a low deck 470 with an old Offenhauser tunnel ram with 2 Holley 600 vacuum secondaries. It's got stealth heads, a Comp mechanical cam and 2" Proparts headers making about 550 hp. I don't care about hood clearance.

Attachments

• 02-16-2014 006.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 516
  • 02-16-2014 011.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 496
  • 02-16-2014 012.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 552
I vote tunnelram. i had a tunnel ram set up on my old 65 and i have a tunnel ram on the 440 in my big block dart that i have street drove last summer.I have to use a hood scoop becasue i don't not have a shop so my car sits out side all the time.

I run a indy tunnel ram on my low deck motor with 1050s and it fits under my sixpack scoop,,tunnel ram would look cool on the street out the hood,or you might want to keep it under the hood so it looks like its a sleeper,or the taller sixpack scoop would be cool,even though mines a race car I wish I can drive it on the street

hey great looking car you have there. do you have enough room under your scoop to run air cleaner,s?

Did I read this right. A 512 big block with ported heads and a dual quad setup and then trying to get all that to go through a 1 5/8 tri-y header. Good luck. TTI 2 inch is only is only about $150.00 more. I tried the route you are thinking about and ended up selling the tri-y's. No sense trying to get all that air and gas in if you can't get it out.
Kenny b

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 489
Seems like a bit much intake for the "headers" you mentioned...

Yeah I know I'm going to be loosing a lot with those small headers but I wanted to keep my PS and that was the only head I knew I would be able to do that without cutting up my fenders. This is going to be a streetcar first so small things like PS mean something.

-
Back