which gasket cement?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
the long side rail pan gaskets. one set is cork & the other is Felpro black and what sealer under the black end seals? thank you for your time.

I use CopperCoat on cork or composite, and RTV black at the corners where it meets the rubber. I don't use anything on the rubber gaskets themselves.

Keep the rubber ends dry. Contact cement on tthe gasket to pan and the a dab of RTV in the corners. Never had a leak and pan can be removed and replace with same gasket several times. We do a lot of motors and then put them on run stands . Works for us.

I've always had good luck with Permatex Aviation on the block rails for the pan gasket, the rubber end seals I have used Permatex ultra black

Keep the rubber ends dry. Contact cement on tthe gasket to pan and the a dab of RTV in the corners. Never had a leak and pan can be removed and replace with same gasket several times. We do a lot of motors and then put them on run stands . Works for us.
Yup, that's what CopperCoat is, contact cement with suspended copper for better heat transfer.

Gaskasnot (Gaskacinch) for the long gaskets and rtv on the rubber ones and the ends where the gaskets mate together....

This is the winning ticket right here!

I use silicon. All other gaskets hang on a nail that has the word 'Antique' above it....

I've used rtv black many times, okay.

But its true the material matters.

Gaskecinch is great the tack down for composite/paper pan rail and intake gaskets. It works like contact cement.
Rtv, or something that slow sets for crush works just under and at the end seal to rails.
I use the cork with a thin bead of black rtv to pan and dry to block with a blob at each corner at end seals.

Which gasket material to use depends on the pan. Stock is what I deem cork friendly..while a heavier gauge steel pan like moroso, milodon..would be dense paper type friendly.
Use a 1/4 ratchet and use your fingers center to ends. Or.....wth use the right stuff and nothing else if you like just get all bolts threaded and only finger snug before it dries..then 1/2 a c hair more when dried.

I like the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive too, but I prefer the yellow. It dries faster. If ALL I want is to hold a gasket in place, that's what I use. In the rare case where I need some additional sealing, such as around water ports in a water pump or intake manifold, I will use RTV just around those ports which both gives the water ports additional sealing and helps hold the gasket in place during assembly. That's what works for ME.

I like the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive too, but I prefer the yellow. It dries faster. If ALL I want is to hold a gasket in place, that's what I use. In the rare case where I need some additional sealing, such as around water ports in a water pump or intake manifold, I will use RTV just around those ports which both gives the water ports additional sealing and helps hold the gasket in place during assembly. That's what works for ME.
I used yellow on 3 [440] oil pick up tubes on threads and Always stayed in place.

I use indian head or permatex aviation. Then black rtv on the threads and a little dab where the corners meet the rubber

-
Back