Which silver paint? To Clear or not to Clear?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
Well I am painting some black steel wheels to the Argent color. I don't want to order the Mopar one online so I am going to either go with one of the following:
Krylon Dull Aluminum 1403 (if I can find it)
Krylon Metallic Matte Aluminum 51519
Rust-oleum Aluminum Metallic Finish 7715

I am unsure on what clearcoat to use. I have read multiple thread where lots of people aren't even clear coating their wheels.
I am assuming original Rallye wheels came with a matte finish with no clearcoat I assume?
I was thinking of clearcoating to help protect the wheels.

While I was at Walmart today I could only find the Krylon Metallic Matte Aluminum (51519) and Rust-oleum Aluminum Metallic Finish (7715). I decided to take pictures of them just to show you all to get your opinions on them 2.
20130303_221536_zps4d8c2ec2.jpg

20130303_221541_zpsf12716b6.jpg

20130303_221831_zps7437893a.jpg

20130303_221839_zps1c130589.jpg

Rust-oleum(7715) left and Krylon(51519) right:

7334c04b-fe7e-4f20-9422-8a72d9da0c02_zps7d056713.jpg

I am going to go search again in the morning for the Krylon 1403.

Sorry for all the questions. I didnt want to make multiple posts lol.

BTW: I am doing the 17" steel LX wheels. I am going to make replica 17" Rallye wheels.

the fist color says "indoor". I would question its durability

If you ever want to get a little bit different but still look a bit stock, I've noticed that Dupli-color has some neat grays and silvers. I've done some wheels with their product. Check it out or better yet, at a store where it's sold. The paint caps show the look.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalSpecks/

Ok cool thanks for the info.

the fist color says "indoor". I would question its durability

That is what I was thinking too.

Eastwood Argent wheel paint ! with matt finish clear over it.
The wheels are Chrager/300 wheels off a base model

Eastwood Argent wheel paint ! with matt finish clear over it.
The wheels are Chrager/300 wheels off a base model

Thanks for the info.
I already have 5 steel wheels that are just like yours I just need to paint them now. Find center caps and trim rings too.

I bought my wheel paint from the local dodge car dealership. Muscle car wheel paint argent silver p4529876. This is as closest you will find for the rims.
Clean the rims good spray 5 to 7 thin coats allow to dry between coats and do not use a clear on them.
Mine came out like they came out of the factory, perfect.
You can use the same paint for the caps also or go a little darker or lighter if you like.

Thanks for the info guys!
I did find the krylon 1403 paint at Ace today but it cost like $8.50 a can.

warning : after multiple cans of bad paint from Eastwood (nozzles act like can is out of propellant when it is still almost full / spits) i advise staying away from their rattle can products .. and yes, i properly cleaned and stored nozzles/paint after use ..
i don't mind paying more for a product when quality dictates - as i have been satisfied with their rust converter/encapsulator/chassis paint - but my luck with their detail gray and spray gray over several purchases has proven not to be a one-time problem ... good money wasted with no way to get it back ! ... go to another source !!

Thanks for the info guys!
I did find the krylon 1403 paint at Ace today but it cost like $8.50 a can.

Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminun is a excellent match. Just saw it matched up to some original paint 71 Rallye rims and it was a great match.

I like the Duplicolor Silver Wheel Paint.

Its available at auto parts stores nation wide.

Its durable....and affordable to touch up later....and (as far as I know) its the only "Argent" colored silver Duplicolor there is on the shelf at an Advance Auto Parts Store....its usually kinda $$ but (1) can will go
A L O N G WAY.

my .02

1...maybe 2....I dont remember...I bought 3 or 4 cans a while back...and if I remember correctly it took me a full can to coat the faces of all 4 rims.

dwire67 , I have been wanting to do this same thing to my Daughters D.D. !!!!! THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU ! Your Car looks GREAT ! I do have the small bolt pattern on Her '65 Barracuda to deal with but I can see it and how it LOOKS and it looks Great on your Car.:cheers: (I hope you don't mind if I steal your Idea. I can call it information sharing how about that.)

THANKS, TIM

What size Tire on the front if I may ask ? porksoda , How about some pics. of your setup when you get them on ? Thanks, TIM

Well I don't have them on yet, but when I do I'll for sure post them. I plan on running a 215/50/17 I think. I'll double check tomorrow. Also I plan on painting them in the morning if the wind isn't too bad.

Well I decided that because the other Krylon 1403 that alot of use is a interior paint also. Lots of people use it with out any issues. And the one I bought is only $3.27 a can. So if it doesn't turn out so great I'll only be out about $7.00.

You can get the Mopar paint at any Dodge or Chrysler dealer. They'll probably need to order it but they'll have it in one day. I did a set of rally wheels and ordered three cans but used less than two.

Before I apply the paint I put the cans in warm water, just whatever hot water comes out of the tap.

-
Back