who here uses facebook

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
The reason i am asking is that about a year ago my wife helped me set up a facebook account. I had it all of about 8 hours then i shut it down. I found 4 friends i used to know in high school, so i friend requested them, then the damned thing took over and spiderwebbed in like damn near everybody on planet earth. Lots of people i knew way back when who i never care to know today. It freaked me out, and i pulled the plug on it 8 hours later. I told my wife not to post any personal information on it, and additionally i told her i dont want pix or any information about me posted either. Anybody feel the way i do about it, or different and why. I am curious.

Matt

I use it all the time but I don't put any information that isn't readily found anyway. I shut down all that trash feed and restrict who can see my page. Doing that has made it more user friendly.

I'm not a face booker, and I never embraced "chat".

I will text, but only when a voice call is inconveineint, or not warranted, and I'm sure both parties do not have easy email access.

I am an emailer and a forum user.

Both of those technologies enable communication at the convienoence of any and all parties involved, unlike the ones I don't use which are invasive and can be habbit forming and life dominating to those wih addictive personalities.

Disclosure- I am a 20+ year IT guy. When I started, email accounts were almost unheard of, and internet access was not common. Chat, however, did exist, but not really as we know it today.

I had the same thing happen to me. Lots of jerks that I broke contact with, that treated me like crap in High School attempting to get to know me now, because I restore cars and they hotrod Civics.

I joined Myspace when you could only have 3 pictures, to help a friend who, at the time, lived in Japan and needed a letter of recommendation to come back into the US with his wife, proving he had work available.

I have friends all over the world, so I'm on Facebook, now. I still have a Myspace account, although it's relatively inactive.

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, I accept their friend request and if they're up to the same, douchey behavior, I cut them loose and if it's ugly, I just use the block button. No need to flip the whole breaker off.

I check it once a day, miss a few days a week, usually post something once or twice a week, aside from music and videos a bit more frequently, but I'm not on it as often as most.

im a FABO booker only ...this is the only site i am really interested in.

if anyone wants to find me ....im on FABO .....i should have my own address here Ranidart70 at FABO dot com LOL

FABO is actually set as my home page and comes up right away when i open the lid on my computer :D

on FABO i am socializing with mopar people ....on other sites your socializing with ordinary non-car people ......i am not interested in mixing with non-car people so i will stay here.

I use Facebook as I too have friends all over the the place. Like DaveBonds said, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and accept a friend request.

Not me, and it really REALLY effi'n pisses me off that so many sites, like Google and Yahoo, are damn near as bad with privacy issues.

I use it but have settings set to let only friends to see post. I careful as what I post. I have reconnected with old friends and if its someone friends me who was a jerk in hs I just decline.

I do, and enjoy the different places I watch , I watch stuff for sale with a motor or wheels here where I live, I keep updated on my grandchildren and 2 son's... Yea I know :eek:ops: I said I never would back a years ago on a similar thread:glasses7:
But 99.7 % of the time if I am on the computer I am here or C.List looking for anything I or someone here need's............ Nothing like seeing a picture of your grandchildren posting a loving hello Papaw picture asking can she come over
as I enjoy my first :coffee2: of the day

Attachments

• 552398_361723563900389_1679005453_n.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 273
I use Facebook to keep in touch with people I want to keep in touch with.My privacy settings are set up for friends only and I even unfriended my Son once cause he was sending me a bunch of crap.Once we got that straightened out all is ok now.I take all the normal precautions there are, but certain info is going to be mined unless you throw your computer in the trash.I spend a lot of time on the computer and have yet to have much trouble.Of course the operative word is probably YET.

what face in a book that's what we called it.dam kids down't know how to talk now days but theve changed every thing els for the children.why not the speech to.......born&bread in the USA ................Artie

I got mine to share my stuff with a few distant friends. I rarely use it these days and have a pseudo-name and modified personal info so that only a person who already knows me could even find me (hopefully). Secondly I separately researched the privacy process and locked it down as tight as could be done. Thirdly, I am getting rid of it because it is a cataloging system for people and their behaviors.

Attachments

• facebook-and-you-pigs.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 248
I used to have Facebook but then I cancelled it because there was to much drama from everyone on there. So nope no more. My wife does not even have one anymore.

I do! I'm not too wild about it, but there are some people who I went to grammar school and high school with, who I don't mind saying "Hi" to once in a while and showing some pics......and also my old military buddies too. I definitely keep my distance though from most, I don't know why.....and I have ZERO family members as friends. I don't even send out any friend requests anymore. I used to have a more....naive....sense of what it would be like in the beginning. I thought I could just talk to people naturally, but then soon realized the women thought I was hitting on them, just because I said "Hi", and a lot of dude friends from H.S. kept up that macho, competitive (boring) act. I'm out.

I guess I can sum it all up as, I just enjoy posting some cool pics of my weekend trips, interesting things going on in my life....and my classic car travails, but I keep everyone at an arm's length away. I'm actually a very private person, but I like to shoot the bull now and then.

I found out I had a facebook account when my sisters and family were really pissed at me for not talking to them but I had some sort of giant farmville farm.

My wife set it up so she could trade farm stuff with her digital farm simulator.
Then all of these people I used to know started writing me. I write them back.

Now the problem is there are all sorts of 23 year old girls messaging me to 'text' them. I don't even have a close up pic of me.
I use it once a week to once every 6 months. Lots of awesome Mopar pic's though.

The mother-in-law stayed with us for T H R E E weeks to help when the baby was born. After a while the guest/fish went bad, and stunk. We were getting irritated with each other as she wanted to be ALPHA female to me in my home.

Anyway, she left herself logged into facebook after she left on my laptop. He heh heh heh!!

I made ALL SORTS of fun, silly, innocent posts about how dumb someone was, or about which kid was my favorite kid, how great my son in law was, how the baby looked just like her dad (me), and which kid's significant other needed to straighten up, get a job and move out, etc. etc. That woman lost her mind. LOST HER MIND.

She was even talking to her mother in law thru facebook while I was logged in as her. That conversation unraveled people's brains-I could not stop giggling.

When whining to my wife didn't help her cause, she cried to her husband (whom I really respect and care for) whom threatened my life. So I had to stop. That mo-in-lo don't mess no mo'!

A friend asked me to join so I went to FB and when I saw what info they (FB) were asking for I left.

Called my friend and said what's wrong with the phone and e-mail ? Thats how we communicate.

I received an invite to join Linkedin from someone I never heard of and thought I was some business owner, at the time I never heard of Linkedin. Since then I've received more invites from other people I never heard of. Then the last invite came from my cousin, I emailed him and said thanks for the invite but no thanks just email me.

These sites ( FB, Linkedin, etc. ) are invasive and if you put in any real info it can be mined from a lot of sources and perhaps be used to your dismay .

BTW I refuse to text also, But for other reasons. Why tap out a text and have to pay extra to do that, when one can talk for free.

Don't get me started on Twitter ! OMG WAWOT !

If facebook wants to "sell" me, I really don't care. I feel sorry for whoever is paying top dollar. I'm not a very pretty catch of a bachelorette to auction. Ask Rani.

-
Back