Who wants a mopar turbo kit?!?!

-
He's said about 4 times on this thread he won't estimate or release a price until all the testing's done...

My personal motor has a 1/2 filled girdle block, with head and main studs. The test motor for these kits will be a 100% stock bottom end, stock replacement head gaskets, and no studs. The idea is to prove out what a STOCK motor can withstand... modified motors will obviously take more power depending on the parts.

No prices yet until kits are proven out, and tooling is completed. I have an idea, but until testing is completed I don't want to say much...

thanks txstang glad you can count , never hurts to ask since there hadnt been an update since september until last weekend

Last edited:
thanks txstang glad you can count , never hurts to ask since there hadnt been an update since september

His last two updates were Sunday, December 18th and yesterday the 19th. I am glad txstang can count too, cause you sure caint.

You've taken your time and it looks pretty good. At least you've kept in touch and kept everybody updated. That turbo is pretty big. Nice lookin work.

My personal motor has a 1/2 filled girdle block, with head and main studs. The test motor for these kits will be a 100% stock bottom end, stock replacement head gaskets, and no studs. The idea is to prove out what a STOCK motor can withstand... modified motors will obviously take more power depending on the parts.

No prices yet until kits are proven out, and tooling is completed. I have an idea, but until testing is completed I don't want to say much...

thanks to you to rustyratrod, glad your still your jolly old self as you always are in your posts

You've taken your time and it looks pretty good. At least you've kept in touch and kept everybody updated. That turbo is pretty big. Nice lookin work.

X2

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when this thread popped up a couple years ago, but I'm pretty glad to see the progress.

Dunno if anyone actually took the time to watch a couple of his other youtube vids, but...

Of course it's difficult to tell, but looks like it's moving along pretty well to me.

sounds good txstang and rusty hopefully there will be a lot of these kits hitting the street in 2017

Dunno if anyone actually took the time to watch a couple of his other youtube vids...
Of course it's difficult to tell, but looks like it's moving along pretty well to me.

Oh the green car is the real deal...

Just wanted to start getting the word out that I'm in the process of engineering/testing/quoting mopar turbo kits right now.

The kit will be based on magnum manifolds (read CHEAP), 2" stainless hotside, 3" stainless downpipe, 44mm gate, 50mm BOV, and various T4 turbo options. All tubes will be production mandrel bent, and TIG welded on assembly fixtures to ensure dimensional repeatability and quality.

The mock up layout I have right now fits A-B-E bodies... I will verify on FJM bodies soon, and should fit trucks also. Ordered parts today to build the first working test prototype, so as long as all goes well, these should be ready fairly soon. My 62' Savoy will probably be the test mule, so I'll be replacing my Eddy headed 360 S475 setup with my own kit. These kits will NOT require any MAJOR modifications to your car... only slight trimming on a few select cars if anything at all.

The magnum manifolds do NOT clear a factory A-body power steering boxes, so PS will be out. I didn't want to create a kit based on old A-body manifolds that are hard to come by compared to the magnum stuff. AC does look like it will fit though. These will be offered with various T4 turbos, both with and without intercoolers (intercooled kits will require cold side clearance holes).

Initial quotes coming back show that this should be affordable compared to the alternative boost options we have out there (prochargers, paxton's, roots, etc...)

Hope this helps get the mopar community going on the turbo technology. If the Ford and Chevy guys can do this... so can we!!!

I read most of the pages on this but not all so I apologize if this has been asked before. Would block hugger headers work as an alternative to factory manifolds?

I think the off the shelf block huggers are usually center collector, which would interfere with the factory steering gear. You might be able to use the hedman shorty headers, but something tells me the hot side piping would be a bit of a chore. That being said, where there's a will, there's a way.

I will not be casting any new small block manifolds because there are in abundance. Future BB kits might be another story though. But we'll see how the SB kits go.

I just went back through the thread again...do you think a set of the C body log style manifolds would work in a BB application?

I just went back through the thread again...do you think a set of the C body log style manifolds would work in a BB application?

Manifolds are a good option for most any turbo build. They are much better at resisting heat cracking then standard mild steel headers, and the turbo itself is usually a much smaller restriction then any manifold oultet anyway, so there usually isn't any power degradation at all.

That's exactly why I built these kits around the available truck manifolds. The magnum manifold only has a 1 7/8" primary, but that's been proven on my car to make nearly 900hp. The hot sides of my kit are built from 2" stainless steel to ensure fast spool up.

Regular headers would work, but I'm not sure there is any power to be had. Mild steel would certainly be a durability risk also (which most headers are built out of). Stainless headers are a good option, but they are a LOT more expensive then the exhaust manifolds in most cases.

If you already had a set of headers, they MIGHT work with the kit. But they would require the outlet to be in the EXACT same spot as the factory manifolds.

No dyno runs yet. We'll start at the track... proof is in the pudding then.

I was asking more for fitment than for anything else.

I just don't know if the C body manifolds would clear accessories or steering gear when you rotate them around backward to put the exit toward the front of the vehicle.

I have a 383 that is slated to go in a Ramcharger...kinda thinkin how much fun that would be with a mild turbo'd 383 in a small second gen SUV type vehicle.

The best way to use oem mag manifolds is to find a drivers rear exit and a pass. front exit, passing the cross pipe aft instead of forward. This way you can retain power steering box and column, easily.

The best way to use oem mag manifolds is to find a drivers rear exit and a pass. front exit, passing the cross pipe aft instead of forward. This way you can retain power steering box and column, easily.

Its been a long time since i looked at it, but im 99% sure the magnum manifold even in the correct intended mounting location does not clear the factory a body power steering box.

Also there is very little room for the down pipe, and the cross over on the pass side if you do it this way.

Good on the OP to take on a task such as this.... Thinking about the effort a TTI company makes to get headers to fit everything should show how difficult making something like this work is a challenge also....

In the 90's I was deep into the Turbo Buick V-6 cars so I have been around a little bit of this. In fact if I keep my 72 somewhere in the year 2018 I may put a Turbocharged setup on the car. In fact, I still have a V6 long block with accessories on the stand at my dad's which will be used as my mockup process. Blah blah blah to that lol...

I posted because one of the aggravating parts of the Buicks was keep the hot side sealed up. The manifolds were Tubular and cracking of the welds was a common problem. My advice is if you want reliability to try and retain the manifolds. The OP has already proven you can get the power and I will take a sealed Manifold system any day of the week over a Tubular design that may leak. It will make that much of a difference...

I am curious. Have you put any thought into a Air/air Intercooler setup?

JW

Its been a long time since i looked at it, but im 99% sure the magnum manifold even in the correct intended mounting location does not clear the factory a body power steering box.

Also there is very little room for the down pipe, and the cross over on the pass side if you do it this way.

Maybe, but then you'd just use any oem drivers manifold in stock orientation. folks have run a cross pipe under the pan easily. Just saying, there's profit to be had if you can retain power steering.

Maybe, but then you'd just use any oem drivers manifold in stock orientation. folks have run a cross pipe under the pan easily. Just saying, there's profit to be had if you can retain power steering.

Yes you can use the a body driver manifold, but they are very hard to come by. My kit does work with power steering...

-
Back