Who was the Dusters/Demons competition?

-

hk_sg1

Reaction score
I have alot more experience with B-bodies, but since I have ventured into the world of A-bodies, I was wondering who was the 1970 and up a-body's "brand X" automotive competition? I figure the Maverick Grabber was, but what else did Ma Mopar build the A's to go up against in the showroom?

I have heard quite a first accounts of 340 Dusters smokin' big block Camaros and Chevelles on the street.

Yeah, I could see the Nova but would think the Chevelle (because of the the availability of big blocks and sticker price) would be more in the mid-size/B-body class. Back when I had my '68 AMC Javelin SST, I'd get people thinking it was a Nova all the time :banghead:

I have heard quite a first accounts of 340 Dusters smokin' big block Camaros and Chevelles on the street.
My dad use to tell me back when he was sportin' a brand new '70 Road Runner that there was a local guy in a 340 Swinger that was spanking everything that didn't have a Pentastar (and several that did). So I fully believe a good driver in a small, light car with a tough 340 could harass and hurt the feeling's of guy in big block cars.

A Mopar A-body, like some AMCs were the (kinda) sleeper cars of the musclecar era. Back then not alot of people thought about horsepower-to-weight. Between marketing, relative low cost & availibility if someone heard of a big-block anything being availible at the dealer & could get a good price, they grabbed it.
I've seen quite a few smaller cars, not just Mopar A-bodies, easily spank big-blocks.
As to Mopar's A-body "competition"----L79 Novas, 351C Mustangs, Rallye 350s, 350 Tempests were kind of all in the same "class......

A bud in High school had a Nova, I had a Duster,...lot of grudge racing on the back roads

then there was these

Attachments

• amcrebelmachine.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 256
  • amc_sc-rambler__danny-whitfield_3_69.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 251
Maverick and Nova were the intended competition for sales.

In a way, the Duster and Demon were by themselves as they were a whole different coupe bodystyle, while the Maverick, Nova, and AMC Hornet only offered 2 and 4door versions (and the Nova came out with the hatchback in '73 I think..) Well the Hornet had the Sportabout wagon too..

When I bought my Duster in '72, my options for a car that size,in that price range,were pretty much Duster/Demon, Nova ,or Maverick. I actually looked at, and test drove the other 2 before my Duster. The son of the Plymouth dealer was out driving it one night, and I stopped him to look at it. Bought it the next day.

i get a lot of that..."what year is your nova"? its a 73 dude, first year for the 360 , see ?, it says so right on the side

I bought my 70 duster new, couldn't afford the insurance for a 340, so got a 318, man 3 speed, open 3.23. Installed stiffer valve springs, and traction bars. Me and 2 buds went to the local 1/8 track to race. I beat a 383 Cuda auto, and a 396, 350 hp Chevelle auto.

But the 340 I put in it with tf is so much better. Back in the day, an A body with a 340 and auto or 4 sp, was right there, on the street. I mean, don't mess with a bb Corvette, but they held their own against most cars. And cost under $2500.

I bought my 70 Duster 340, 4speed, 3.55 Suregrip new in August of 70, just before the 71's came out. I got it for $2600 out the door. It turned out to be a freak. Totally stock, on the E-70 Polyglass tires, it ran 13.90 quarters. I imbarrased many a 396 Chevelle with it. At the time, a friend had a Berger copo 69 Camaro with the L-88 427. He used to get so pissed because I always beat him with my little Duster. Of course, his problem was traction. A couple of years later, I installed a 440 into my Duster, and we pulled the 340 apart to see why it was so strong. That's when we found out it was a 340 six bbl. AAR motor with a single four barrel intake and carb on it. The only thing we can think of is that the build called for a 340, and as the car was built in July, one of the last 70's, the only 340 on the assemly line was a AAR motor, so they swapped the intake and installed it in my car.
Here's a pic of it taken in 75...

70duster.jpg

I had a 65 cuda, 68 cuda 340, 70 aar cuda The only thing b bodies had was ride you cant beat a a body with a 340 with deuces power traction weight they were the best. Even the 427 corvette couldnt do anything but smoke tires, they just didnt go and cost was double back then. Dodge swingers with 340s were my strongest competition in 1968-1971 Now that time has passed there is alot more ponies unleashed under the hood with morre reliablability, I lived in a great era.

-
Back