Whoa There Almost Homeless Guy

-
"Good credit" isn't that important in life if you are smart and don't spend more than you have. I don't have "bad credit" I have NO CREDIT because I don't borrow. Yes it costs me a little more on auto insurance ( I don't understand how being in debit makes you a better driver ) and you would have to look a little harder to get a home loan, but so far the increase in costs has been less than I would have had to pay in interest. By the way I'm not wealthy, I made about 33k this year!

Hate to break it to ya, but good credit is pretty important. You can save thousands over the years on Insurance alone by utilizing a few credit cards. Department store credit cards are great for building credit. Buy you some furniture for several thousands of dollars and pay it off over time(5 years in some cases) same as cash. Just think, if you would have done that, you would have actually SAVED by not having those higher insurance premiums by having established good credit.

That's the million dollar question isn't it? :)
The Wife want's to make their lives as convenient as possible, and I'm more on the "Go do your life and let us continue ours" idea.

Workin on it though. :)

Hate to tell your wife, but she isn't doing the lads any favors by trying to make it convenient for them to live with you! Young adults need to be self sufficient, and that means paying for everything!! They need their own bills, deadlines, freedom, investments, hobbies....everything that goes with being an adult! That's the only way to become a functioning adult, and be prepared for having a wife and family!! I didn't start investing for my future until I was almost 30 because I was on my own and simply didn't have the money! But, I never borrowed from my Mom, and was/am a much better person because I did it all on my own!! When I did get into an investment program, my financial advisor showed me what I could have when I turned 65, then she showed me what I could've had if I had started 5 years earlier!! Wow, huge difference!!

Same with life, if they live under mommys wing until they're 30, they've lost all the momentum that those 10 years could've bought them! Tack a 30 year mortgage on the end of 30 years old, they'll be paying that until their 60! Tack on having kids at 30, they'll be 50 before their kids leave the house, later if they let them stay! I'm 50 and I have a 10 year old son, I'm the oldest parent at his school! When I go to a school function, I see people I grew up with....they're there to see their grandkids!!!!

These boys are ready to fly, tell momma to let them go!! Geof

This , My oldest was eighteen when he figured he was ready for a shot at the champ , he woke up on the front stoop with some swelling around the eye's and his suitcase beside him , decided maybe going along and getting along was a better idea for someone in his position ,he turned out pretty darn good as far as kids go .

Black plastic garbage bags were my preferred means for packing my street thug up. Now at 26 I think he's finally straightened up.

back in the day before plastic, a msart young person, went to the local back or credit union., meet a loan officer, proved he had a job, and asked to borrow $100 or what ever they would loan him on his signature. you might have to meet more than more banker, but it would happen. you opened a checking and saving account, put the $100 in the savings, and paid it back with interest. little while later, you did it again. you had credit.

reading all these life accounts makes me think of the "Walton's" reruns go come on every day. maybe all these kids, ( yes those at home at 25) and the young ones, show be required to sit there every day and watch an episode, till they have seen all 10 years worth!!??? LOL and after every one, give a discussion of what it means and relates to their family!????

I feel many of us Americans have gotton soft. we want our kids to have it better. many times mom and dad never had it hard anyway? when the economy tanked in '08 and we were at the doorstep of another great depression, I really wondered if that would be the best thing to happen to millions of us?

food, shelter. clothing....... the essential of life..... how much of the other is " fluff"?? LOL

I agree with the nothing a college degree is the answer to it all. for many good smart kids, the vocational route has to be the way to go. everyone can't be a rocket scientist!

I have 2 grown daughters. 35 and 36. the oldest worked her way to a 4 yr degree in physical therapy. hated big cities, and worked for low pay in small town for 10 years, goes back to get her teaching degree.( that's what she decided she wanted). another 2 years to get second degree.. gets teaching job, then goes back to get her masters. pretty much required for the "overpaid" school teacher!

the younger one, had a scholarship for 2 semesters. never used it. ( both on their own at 18). works low pay jobs, married and divorced, 4 kids. she talks to me. the older one doesn't.

they both turned out to be good people. they pay their bills, work hard,

no one ever said raising kids was easy or simple!!????

Yup, like we always told our girls, and had it posted on the fridge.

Teenagers, are you tired of being harassed by your stupid parents? Act now. Move out, get a job, and pay your own bills - while you still know everything

That should be a bumper sticker. Words to live by

there are t wo things that generally cause strife in a marriage. disagreement over kids and money! ( not gonna mention old cars!)....

I feel for him...... dealing with women and mothers can be a challenge!!!!(polite word)..

we don't need to judge anyone till we've spent a month in his shoes!!

there are t wo things that generally cause strife in a marriage. disagreement over kids and money! ( not gonna mention old cars!)....

I feel for him...... dealing with women and mothers can be a challenge!!!!(polite word)..

we don't need to judge anyone till we've spent a month in his shoes!!

Thanks for the support, and you are exactly right about Mothers and kids.
Got to pick your battles.

Like I said a few times already, it was just a small rant of the moment.

From all these experiences, it's easily seen that as parents, we shouldn't take too much of the blame, or accept too much credit, on how our kids handle their lives as adults. They are making decisions that reflect their way of thinking. They are now adults, responsible for the decisions they make.

I have three of my own. The oldest and the youngest are both doing well, and I'm proud of them. My middle child (son) is a completely different story. I don't know if he will make it in life or not. I guess I don't even really know what drives him. I just hope he figures it out sooner than later; the mistakes people make early on can affect the rest of their lives.

It's sobering to contemplate that the drunks, drug addicts, homeless people, misfits, criminals, and just plain losers are somebody's kids. Some of their parents likely did everything they possibly could to give their child a good start. But when it comes down to it, it's up to the individual how they choose to live.

Numbers matching parents, turning 40 this year. Wife and I bought our first house I was 20 she was 18. Two girls 10 and 12, both have their own bank accounts for spending money which they must save for ie.chores,b day,x mas, 12 year old has her baby sitting course. Both understand the concept of work money rent food clothes. Importance of post secondary education. There's no friggin way I'd have a kid in thier 20's or 30's living at home playing video games. I work everyday because millions of people on welfare depend on me, and thats what bleeding heart parents are raising these days. I got my work ethic from my grandfather and my father and it is our job as parents to instill the proper values into our children. Stop the cycle of the "Y" generation,as in why do I have to do that ?

Funny this thread popped up!
A couple night ago, the wife asks me to go pick up her son at his dad's house. I reluctantly do it only because I didn't want to hear any noise about it.
I pick the the prince up at the father of the years house, he gets in the truck, doesn't say a word. "Good" I think, I don't have to talk to this *** hole (in case you didn't know, we're not friendly). We start down the road I'm listening to the radio and the little S.O.B. changes the channel to some "f"ing head banging screaming crap. Don't get me wrong, I like rock music, like it a lot, but I don't want to listen to **** either! I looked at him and told him to turn the radio back to where I had it. He tells me he had heard enough of "my dead guys music" and he'll listen to what he wants too.
Now let give you a little back history on ol' numb nuts here. He needs a ride because his truck was repoed back in September. His truck was repoed because he hadn't paid on it since May, and he hasn't worked since the June prior to that. So he's been without a job for over a year almost 2. I already booted him out of the house back in 2010 and he isn't coming back. He lives rent free with my mother in law who babies him. Now back to the story already in progress:
I told him that the last I checked, this was my truck and we do things my way in it. So turn it back or get the "f" out and walk. He told me that he wasn't getting out and if turn the radio back, he'll just turn it back to where he had it. Cue up the theme from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" because I just became all 3.
I pulled the truck over on the highway and told him to get the "f" out. He looked at me like I was nuts, I told him again, get the "f" out of my truck, if you don't I'll call the law and have your *** arrested, if you think I'm kidding, try me. He just sat there, then he reaches over and turn the radio back, I look at him say, "no, it's to late for that, you done "f"d up, get out!" He just sat there like a lump. I reached across him and opened the door and told him again, get out. about then a state trooper pulled behind me and then it was on. I told the trooper that the step son was no longer welcome in my truck and I wanted him out. The trooper takes my info, disappears, comes back and tells numb nuts he has to get out of the truck. The trooper tells me to have a good day and let me go.
I get home, and I'm thinking well, I'm going to catch holy hell from the wife over this.
Not a peep. Later Mr. Wonderful, the Father of Year that couldn't be bothered to bring his son home to begin with is on the phone. He's wanting to know why I called the cops on his kid. I told him what happened, I was promptly called a liar so I hung up.
But, apparently the trooper took the boy off the highway and to the next exit. Then dropped him off at a gas station. Well he doesn't have a cell phone, because he doesn't have a job! and had to find someone who would call his Dad for him. He stood there for a couple hours till that Jackass came and got him.
When my wife did ask me what happened, with Numb Nuts present, he admitted to what he had done. She basically told him she was surprised I didn't deck his ***. Of course his dad called me a dick for doing what I did. I won't repeat my comeback.
So, that was my Tuesday night with a kid who thinks he's running ****!
Good Luck Gentleman!

Gunbunny, Great post! When he turned the radio back he thought he was in the clear.
Excellent move making him responsible for his actions anyway.

When I was 17 or 18, my step dad (dad) asked my grandfather (mom's dad) how old was too old to spanked, in front of a family get together. My grandfather went into story about getting spanked (BUTT BEATEN WITH SWITCH/BRANCHES) when he gave his father a smart-*** look at the age of 18. The great-grandfather had 6 boys & no time to fool around.

My dad's challenge was that he really did not care-for/love me so I really didn't care for most of his input. I was fairly well behaved, but I would rebel when opportunity presented itself, not because something irritated me-I felt like I hated him for years.

He got the whole package when he married mom, I was a 9 year old heavy baggage.

To his credit, Dad took whatever opportunity he saw to teach and raise me which was a chore for both of us for 9 years. We hardly ever saw eye to eye, he was rarely understanding, so I usually tried to just stay out of his way. I never wanted for clothes, food, or heat. Dad often tried to bond with me, but we were way to different besides our roles in life.

Dad had no social couth, little patience, very bad anger problems, insecurity (relationship with mom) and possibly an inferiority-complex that drove him to over-excel. I thought he was a tyrant-to hear mom now, he probably still is.

He was in complete control/very-responsible of his alcohol consumption, which was a great blessing because I helped drive that man to drink. The consumption could have fueled much worse beatings, but they never did. Usually, every beating I got was well deserved. I did allot of things simply to piss him off because I could not improve upon the situation I was in living under his home/rules. Dad was a much larger framed man, Vietnam Vet, college wrestler, and he always worked out several times a week. When I got older, I would have to be extremely pissed off with him to physically challenge him because I knew I would loose painfully. There are times when it is worth it despite the loss.

Maybe some of you guys remember my previous posts of burning off his eyebrows, laughing at him getting burned accidently other times, or embarrassing him in front of his uppity co-workers. I have no qualms about the belt because I was an asshole kid sometimes-most often without being disrespectful, merely creative.

For a long time I thought my stepdad was a real prick telling me over and over that at 14 he was going to kick me out of the house at 21
at 15 "I'm kicking you out at age 20." "Okay."
at 16 , 19
at 17, 18 -Then I argued with him, had some attitude, but only to the point of defending myself. "I told him no you're not, (18 would have been at the early onset of my last year in highschool) -I said " I am going to graduate and then I am out of here, you won't have to kick me out because I'll be gone." Two days after graduating, I was on a long greyhound ride to college, with grandparents & relatives shuttling me around some.

Preventative planning: The family had come up with a plan for me because my biological father was trouble, and I had allot of that in me. I was well behaved, but I instigated some ****-storms.

The plan was that every summer as a kid (age 9-18+) I got to get away from home and go work for my grandfather on his small cattle ranch (gov financed vets after WW2- $75 a month for the land until the 70's)

I dug fence post six feet deep in caliche clay, (Caliche is a hardened deposit of sand or clay cemented by calcium carbonate in arid regions, usually roots do not penetrate it)

for his cattle fence posts. Hard work. I had to cut mesquite trees with an axe & I cleared out cactus with giant axe-reaper. We worked the cattle as well. The work netted me money, more privileges, freedom, and different rules & boundaries. It helped with the transition to leave home & earn a living. My grandfather and I got along well because I knew that he loved me. It was easy to listen to him preach advise all day long, all week long, all summer long, because I knew that he cared.

My parents had another great idea, they made me save 3/4's of every dollar I ever earned to use when I left home. It went towards a few semesters of flunking college.

I did not want to go to college, but my family all worked their way thru college when blue-collar labor could pay for school and every single adult insisted that I do the same thing- I wasn't mature enough for that independence yet and I knew it.

Mom gave me some money when I left home but it dwindled down to zero at such a quick rate that most of you guys might approve.

On my own money got tight & times were tough, I never called to family for help even though I could because they always preached to me as a kid about earning your way and being proud enough to do it.

The hardest thing about striking out on my own was trusting people like I was still in Nebraska when I was a few hours from the southern most border. I got ripped off allot and there wasn't any consequences for criminals almost every time. Ripped off when near-broke is a hard thing to handle over and over again.

At my lowest point before I joined the Navy I paid all my bills and had $7 to eat with for four weeks. I traded baby-sitting for a cooked meal, ramen was 15 cents, a loaf of bread was 59 cents, and a log of peel-the-plastic baloney was only a few bucks.

Everything after the first few years was easy after that, except the first year on board the submarine, which I was prepared for.

Funny note, I made such a small income when I started out that the Navy audited my taxes for years prior to service for my clearance, not the IRS, the Navy.

-
Back