Whos running a 5.9L Magnum ?

-
Listen to LX guys, he figured out how to make a 5.9 fly cheap.
He helped me on my build.
94 5.9 standard bore.
KB-107
Reconditiond stock crank and rods, balanced.
Eddy heads
Comp 20-812-9 cam
Comp rockers 1.6
M-1 single plane
750 holley
430 gear, 4-speed in a 73 duster.
Should run good in a street only car.
$4700 total for everything, bought alot of used parts off here

Stock rebuild bottom end
226dur 112lsa .525 lift regrind from bullet cams
RHS heads
Crosswind intake
HEI Ignition
Quadrajet
42RH with Edge 2400 LU
3.73 8.8

Love the power and response of the light bottom end. Can't wait for the OD swap. :happy1:

I just picked up a junkyard 2003 5.9 out of a Durango that had about 90k miles on it. I pulled the driver's side head and just as everybody says, bores look great. Cross hatching is still very visible. The head itself does not appear to have any cracks commonly found between the valve seats but that is only on the surface. I haven't looked behind them yet. Very little carbon build up. So, I'm hoping to use the whole thing as it sits. LXGuys' build is inspiring and I hope to copy it as close as possible. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", right?
Extra kudos to his http://www.magnumswap.com/ website. I've read through it completey and it's very informative!

Provided the heads are Ok (and maybe even if they aren't 100%) I intend on swapping out the cam/valve springs, put an RPM Air Gap on it, good carb, headers. Or if the budget allows for it, I'll buy a set of the Hughes Iron Rams ready to bolt on...again, following LX Guys awesome recipe.

I have a very stout 727 w/ reverse manual valve body and 8 3/4 with 4:30s on a spool and 35 spline axles to convert the power to the wheels. This will all be going into my 65 Valiant. Have a long way to go still and a lot of parts to collect but I have all the major building blocks at least.

Attachments

• IMG_3003.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 847
im in middle of doing a 5.9 mag in a 71 Demon. magnumswap.com has been spot on with everything so far...excellent source!
my engine came out of a friends circle track car. it had 3 races on it before he decided he didnt like the new class he was in,and went back to his old car. i dont have alot of specifics on it, but the head was decked to max spec (probably cracked anyway),and he stuck a custom ground comp cam in it (460ish lift). he was only able to run a 2bbl with stock manifolds (class rules) but im using cheapo headers off my dad's scrap pile, and probably buy an air gap and use an extra 750 double pumper i have to get it running. also using a 904 and the front cover/waterpump/accessories that came outta the 318 car i parted down. i also purchased a late model starter.

im not sorry that ive went to a magnum (yet) but i still got a ways to go too!
if magnum swap was correct...that one piece pan gasket will be the trick...i really like the way it went on,but i havent got oil in it yet either...i'll get back to you on that!

Thanks guys. Happy I could help!

If I missed anything, or if I can help, let me know.

im getting close to mating all my junk together...

Attachments

• IMG_2013012239320.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_201301225599.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 742
Looks nice,you will like it. Once you learn all the goofy stuff,won't ever go back.

360 magnum
rpm air gap
hughes 544/228 cam
3200 convertor
crt mvb trans
holley 750 h.p.
tti

Love my Magnum...
1998 360/300 MP Magnum crate
swapped the M1 dual plane for the Eddy RPM Air Gap and running a streetdemon 625. Man that car goes good.

Last I checked, Magnums were still awesome!

Why is it that we tell everyone to do a search, but when they reply to threads they found, we give them hell for that too?
:)

Last I checked, Magnums were still awesome!

Why is it that we tell everyone to do a search, but when they reply to threads they found, we give them hell for that too?
haha yeah I am just now searching these threads for a magnum swap in my dart. I too love the swap on your dart on magnum swap. Can I put my 833 behind it? I have been searching for some info on the 833 swap but haven't found guys that have done it yet. Any info on this would be great.

Glad this was drug up!! Didn't see it the first time around! Seeing all these mid 11s - low 12s makes me think the 5.9 I was given will eventually find its way into my Duster!! That being said I first need to get the trans installed and go through the rearend, brakes and fuel system and get this hopped up 318 (no idea what was done but it runs with a good chop and doesn't pull much vacuum) running/driving to see how I like this engine!

Welcome,you will like it. Ask lots of information before you buy parts. www.Magnumswap.com has lots of good information. The skinny is: Mock the engine with headers installed. Some long tube headers hit the truck engine mount bosses.
If runninf new heads,run the E.Q. "CH318B ". (Magnum heads,with a traditional L.A. bolt pattern.
RPM air gap/M-1 single plane work here. Depending on horse power choices,the stock cam core can be reground for a good price .(think Oregon Cams,or Bullitt Cams here) Hughes 1110 vakve spring /matching retainer combination. Over ..520" lift, have the valve guides milled down. A long post,saves some research time.

I have one in my 77 CrewCab & one in my 84 RC Both 97' model
My three other trucks are getting them too HP & MPG can not be beat

haha yeah I am just now searching these threads for a magnum swap in my dart. I too love the swap on your dart on magnum swap. Can I put my 833 behind it? I have been searching for some info on the 833 swap but haven't found guys that have done it yet. Any info on this would be great.

What do you need to know on the 833 swap?
Use a McLoed weighed flywheel, throw a pilot bushing / bearing in it.
Use stock parts and bolt it together. It is that easy.

I'm running a 5.9 Magnum in my car as well. Granted it's not an A body, but still. The engine is a bone stock rotating assembly with stock (and possibly cracked) Magnum heads.

Comp cam (P# 20-746-9) - 216/224, .506/.506, 114 (spec'd for turbo application)
MP springs and retainers
Edelbrock Air-Gap with 1/2" open spacer
Quick Fuel 650 dp (Also tried an Edelbrock 750, but the 650 was better overall)
Summit block hugger headers (1 5/8" primaries, 2 1/2" collector), dual 2.5" with x pipe
LA front cover, water pump, with v-belt drive (custom brackets to run stock Denso alternator)

The car weighs roughly 3000 lbs with me in it. Heavier than most people think, but I haven't tried to lighten it up any, yet.

Hey UOP---any chance you remember the part # for the summit block huggers you are using on the magnum??------I have been told the exhaust manifolds on a magnum do not bolt up the same as on the earlier small blocks?? Is that right??---Tx

They bolt up the same, but the magnum manifold ports can be different and they hang lower, potentially interfering with a PS pump, plus the exit flange is at a different angle which could interfere with other things as well.

All this because they were designed for trucks.

The magnum manifolds will bolt up to earlier LA head no problem. The only problem i know of is clearance to the steering shaft bearing retainer in an A body. Either a durango or grand cherokee have a different outlet I think. I'm sure some one will correct me if i am wrong.:thumbsup:

I have a 2000 Durango 5.9 warranty take out complete assembly, and the driver's manifold is too close for comfort to the PS adjustment shaft.

The outlets also aim more towards the firewall, and the pass side hits the trans dipstick tube.

This is from trying just the manifolds in a 73 satellite.

-
Back