why am i hesitating ?

-

mightyss

Reaction score
ok, heres the story. i have the chance to buy an early valiant 2dr,no rust, 318 conversion,nice paint, needs some interior and minor asthetics. problem, its 400 miles away. trying to figure if i should attemp to drive it home, or, trailer. i know ill never find a rust free early A for this price again........

I would trailer it until you know how reliable it is, I say go get it! Early Valiants are slick, and it already has a v8..

have you gone over the car? if all looks good then bring a tool box with a few extra parts and drive that ***** home.

I drove my red 67 home, 2854 miles. 400 miles isn't so far. The current owner cant state some assurance it'll make the trip ?

the owner is a gm guy, knows nothing about the car. i just gotta get up the gumtion to make a 800 mile 16 hr trip. rear wheel cyl is leaking, radiator looks like /6 original.....

Its not that expensive to rent a trailer and tow it home then get it running properly and drive it like I do with my 65 Barracuda also with a 318! Or even a front wheel tow set up will work good for that fact. You would not want a wheel cylinder to go on you going down the road if one is leaking as a point. Good luck!

65Cudalover

Its not that expensive to rent a trailer and tow it home then get it running properly and drive it like I do with my 65 Barracuda also with a 318! Or even a front wheel tow set up will work good for that fact. You would not want a wheel cylinder to go on you going down the road if one is leaking as a point. Good luck!

65Cudalover
Especially if its a single pot master cylinder.

only attempt to drive home unless you know for a fact everything is up to snuff. leaky wheel cyl, too small rad and ?? what else, haul it!, if ya use tow dolly it will have to be wide enough for it (mrdern cars tend to be smaller), take off drive shaft. I rather rent borrow trailer myself.
I drove restored a 67 383 cuda from Oakland ca to Missouri one time, BUT the owner was a mopar guy, an engineer, and built cudas for vintage road racing, so I had total confidence in his car, he assured me he had put 10,000 mi on the car,, took highway 80 across the deserts of Nevada, Utah back home.... LOL! most fun I EVER had!!!!!!

Why am I hesitating?QUOTE]

Short answer is, you are getting old. :D

I have noticed it also, as I am just not as comfortable with the unknown as I used to be.
That being said, I drove mine home 150 miles on I17 at 70-75 only really knowing that it didn't have second gear but ran without loosing any fluids and had good oil pressure.

Can you afford the tow bill if you decide to drive it and it goes belly up 380 miles from home?

AAA and plug the rear brake line...oops, that would be when I was 20.

Just trailer the thing home and be done with it.
I wouldn't attempt to drive a car with a bad wheel cylinder and possibly other problems that far.
In my late teens i would have, but i was a little stupider back then......

It's probably about $450 to hire someone to trailer it for you. In simple terms that's saving you about 16 hours of you driving there & back.

We bought our 64 Fairlane from someone in Venice Beach. Lived in Mesa, a trown not to far from Phoenix. PO claimed he was dd the car for months. Was climbing the hills near Palm Springs and the karbanator started acting up....talk about a miserable feeling....

Trust no one when it comes to buying an old dinosaur and them telling you it is safe to drive more than a few miles...

i just gotta pull the trigger, a uhaul car hauler trailer is only $60 for a whole day. i can borrow a truck......and hopefully another driver to tag team it...

Ever notice how the cross country car trips the companies take always has a chase car?
And they usually know the car they are going to drive.
Too much risk in this one.

the key would be to have every spare part that could go wrong!?? LOL
a lot of difference in being 30 mi from home vs 400 mi!!!!

trigger cocked and ready to pull. using buddies dodge ram truck, and a trailer. ill put some pics on this thread when i get it. next weekend!! you guys will sh@% when you hear price i got this for....hehe

trigger cocked and ready to pull. using buddies dodge ram truck, and a trailer. ill put some pics on this thread when i get it. next weekend!! you guys will sh@% when you hear price i got this for....hehe

make sure and re-pack your trailer bearings before you go .....here you think you are in safe zone by trailering the car when all along the problem could come in the trailer itself.

I probably over do it but I pack the bearings on my trailer often especially after it sits for awhile .....you would be surprised how much it can dry out just sitting around.

Nothing better than cracking open a fresh can of grease anyway ....almost better than a new can of folgers ....ahhhhh :D

It's probably about $450 to hire someone to trailer it for you. In simple terms that's saving you about 16 hours of you driving there & back.

You can rent a full car U-haul trailer for $60 per day roughly. Just trailer it to be safe.

-
Back