Why do people do this? Waste!

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
These cars have been sitting here for at least 5 years. I stopped last year to see whats up and the daughter or care taker said the guy doesn't want to sell them. I said they could be worth a lot of money and she said "I know but he won't sell". here we are this spring and still sitting rotting away. :mumum: Why are people like this? Charger RT appears to be original, They have dogs, and maybe a shot gun, so I didn't want to walk around.

Attachments

• 2011-03-11 14.37.42.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 2011-03-11 14.37.25.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 586
Yep, it's a shame, Ive seen it over and over, used to have a local guy that had a 70 cuda that was justing sitting outside. He never wanted to sell it, I watched that car rot into the ground for 20 years! His place finnally got foreclosed on a couple years back, car was junk!

Yea this is everywhere, I also know a guy here where I live who is strickly Mopar and had 3 challengers including an RT. He wouldn't sell and they all rotted away. He currently has a 67 Barracuda fastback, Plymouth Belvedere and a couple of more mopars. Won't sell, won't do anything with them so they will also rot away. SAD!

Thank Barrett Jackson. Everybody thinks they are going to get rich off them in whatever shape they are in. Sadley most will just rot away.:disgust:

WHAT A SHAME. Theres a guy in my town that has a AAR Cuda, I'm not sure of the year. Windows busted out sitting under a bunch of trees. Won't sell, not even to his son. Been sitting there 15+years. no floors now and is rotting from the ground up.

A few years back there was this guy in a small town north of me had a 67 hemi 4 speed GTX convertible in his back yard, the back window was out of it and the snow and rain would get in it. He was offered a ton of $$ for it, more than the old house that he lived in was worth and he always said no. The car is gone now, I can only hope that it is in a better place now. I think that sentimental value is stronger than money in the bank. Money comes and goes but owning the car that you had a lot of firsts in is priceless. I still have my first car I want to be buried in it.

Same story here, a rather nice, actually, GT350 dying a slow death and the owner will call the cops if he sees you so much as looking at it. Sux.

there is guy in the next town who hordes 70/71 Darts, among other things. Maybe about 6 of them. I stop in everynow and then because I would be interested in a nice 70 valiant and the 70 swinger he has. He won't sell me the Valiant because he thinks Hemmings is coming to do a feature on it, having factory tinted windows and stainless trim-4 door Valiant production probably 200,000! He also doesn't want me to drive it in the winter (which I would) but it is ok to just sit there and rot. So I asked him about the swinger (each time I stop it looks more tattered), That's his daily driver he claims and then the daughter asks him when was the last time it was on the road--3years ago! Money sometimes doesn't talk, he just can't part with anything.

I offered a guy 10 grand in cash, I had it in my hand, for a 1970 440 six pack cuda, ten years ago and he said he would let it rot or give it to his nephew before he would sell. It had been sitting outside his old beat up garage since 1986. Its sublime with a shaker hood and a pistol grip. I went by there a few months ago and it still there but starting to look really bad, breaks my fing heart.

These cars have been sitting here for at least 5 years. I stopped last year to see whats up and the daughter or care taker said the guy doesn't want to sell them. I said they could be worth a lot of money and she said "I know but he won't sell". here we are this spring and still sitting rotting away. :mumum: Why are people like this? Charger RT appears to be original, They have dogs, and maybe a shot gun, so I didn't want to walk around.

Is that place local ??? I've never seen those cars. There is this place in a small town just south of the Wisconsin border I stopped at once a few years back. It was an old closed up gas station with about 15 A and B body Mopars sitting there. Had a black Charger like that sitting in front and most of the rest were off to the side - that second shot looks like it could be of a couple of those cars. I never could get anyone to answer the door there, though.

WHAT A SHAME. Theres a guy in my town that has a AAR Cuda, I'm not sure of the year. Windows busted out sitting under a bunch of trees. Won't sell, not even to his son. Been sitting there 15+years. no floors now and is rotting from the ground up.

sneak up to it with a big sign stating what an idiot the owner of the car is (and why), lean it there and leave it.

#winning.

Ask him if he has any parts for sale, or to trade- and go there in a Mopar. Tell him about your junk and the idiots who try to pry the stuff from you.

People like this don't want to listen to offers when in their minds you are only trying to flip it for a buck and have no interest in the cars.

I know a guy like that, and good thing I met him when I was broke, because I wasn't asking to buy, only for help with knowledge and parts.

I know its not true for everyone, some people are just jerks, but I'm thinking most are attached to these cars and the value is not monetary.

The money to restore them is ridiculous, and guys like this say they will because that is what they are bombarded with- restore!

My brother has a 71 Challenger, and it sat for years because he was going to restore it- never happened. After much verbal abuse from me, I finally went over there and informed him that we were not going to restore it, but we were going to make it road worthy and start driving it.

Its ugly with crappy paint and plain jane tires and hubcaps, but he is driving it, and that is what really matters.

Go ask the guy if you can help him get one back on the road- looking as is.

Ask him if he has any parts for sale, or to trade- and go there in a Mopar. Tell him about your junk and the idiots who try to pry the stuff from you.

People like this don't want to listen to offers when in their minds you are only trying to flip it for a buck and have no interest in the cars.

I know a guy like that, and good thing I met him when I was broke, because I wasn't asking to buy, only for help with knowledge and parts.

I know its not true for everyone, some people are just jerks, but I'm thinking most are attached to these cars and the value is not monetary.

The money to restore them is ridiculous, and guys like this say they will because that is what they are bombarded with- restore!

My brother has a 71 Challenger, and it sat for years because he was going to restore it- never happened. After much verbal abuse from me, I finally went over there and informed him that we were not going to restore it, but we were going to make it road worthy and start driving it.

Its ugly with crappy paint and plain jane tires and hubcaps, but he is driving it, and that is what really matters.

Go ask the guy if you can help him get one back on the road- looking as is.

I never looked at it that way!
Interesting point of view.

I know it goes back before any of the high end auctions were even thought of.
I've been around for a while (since '45) and have seen people like that everywhere!
If someone came up to me and said I want to buy your 1970 Merc Marauder X-100 and he has cash...he can have it. I'm not sentimental with a Merc!
The mountains of N Ga are covered with old cars in various states of disappearing into the ground! Not for sale!

oh well, life goes on.

It's their car and they can do as they please with it. Car crazy people are all kinds. Some are just pack rats who let em rot. Some spend more dollars than the cars value just to look at them setting in a garage. I think some(Rich or Poor) just get a kick out of having something someone else can't have, an Ego thing.

It's the jackasses who say they are gonna fix it up one of these days and never do. They also go around bragging to people that they have a collection of antique collector cars and brag about how much they are worth. I'm sorry, but just because you see Barett Jackson sell one for thousands of dollars doesn't make the rusted pieces of crap out in the back yard worth it. I don't care how rare the car is or what it is. If it isn't restored to pristine condition, it isn't going to go for big bucks. I knew a guy when I was a kid. He had a 71 R/T Charger with the original 440-6 pack in it. I tried like hell to get him to sell it. He just said he was "going to fix her up and make her look new and that car will be my retirement one of these days". 20 years later what is left of it is still sitting there with an maple tree growing out through the back window. He just sat there staring at it while he drank his beers. It was nothing more than a lawn ornament.

-
Back