why do people help make old cars look bad

-
I am really feeling bad and eating my words because i should not have generalized and i feel so bad because i really don't think all these cars look bad.

My thread title really should have been " Check it out, Rani's Demon looks like ****"

It's the only car in the thread that does

Did you tweet before thinking it through Ms. Trump??? :poke:

Don't sweat it. Hell I think some of the stock stuff that Ma Mopar did was just plain ugly. I get a lot of negative comments on my cars at car shows because someone doesn't like this or that. It's usually some jackwagon who wants to tell me all about some car they HAD. I just smile and wave...I think this is more about having fun and finding what looks right can sometimes be a challenge. You can always strip it and start over. I look at my grilles and wonder what the **** was I thinking sometimes and other times I am happy because I did it. I am learning and getting quicker and more confident with each car. My wife supports me and if she says it looks good that is all that matters to me...

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

Don't sweat it. Hell I think some of the stock stuff that Ma Mopar did was just plain ugly. I get a lot of negative comments on my cars at car shows because someone doesn't like this or that. It's usually some jackwagon who wants to tell me all about some car they HAD. I just smile and wave...I think this is more about having fun and finding what looks right can sometimes be a challenge. You can always strip it and start over. I look at my grilles and wonder what the **** was I thinking sometimes and other times I am happy because I did it. I am learning and getting quicker and more confident with each car. My wife supports me and if she says it looks good that is all that matters to me...

View attachment 1715063057

View attachment 1715063058

View attachment 1715063059

View attachment 1715063060

View attachment 1715063062

Saaaaweeet 74 dart ...I love beaker cars

serious question? what is the correct color for my 71 duster's grill?? it is sorta blackish looking right now with Texas mold here and there.

I like seeing non factory changes to these old cars that CAN be changed back by the next owner. he could put back a chrome bumper etc...

yep Demons are hard to find and their specific parts are too! seems to me.

Ahem, you were saying?

View attachment 1715063053

This probably an excellent example of black done right. I'm really glad they went gloss black on the body. As much as I love (and I do love it) satin/flat black. It's just been way overdone the last few years. So much so that when I redo my scamp it probably won't be in black.

My stock grill is black to. And it definitely does "disappear" at distance. I'm meh about it. I really give a lot less of a **** about the aesthetics of that car than the speed of it. Every time I take someone for a ride in it and they point out the rust or the headliner or something. I usually just say "yeah but it does this" then just plant them in their seat with a block long burnout. So far it's shut everyone up.

I've seen that Dart in person and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's an example of black paint done right. Having a black grille and bumpers definitely fits the car well and doesn't look like trash.

IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG

serious question? what is the correct color for my 71 duster's grill?? it is sorta blackish looking right now with Texas mold here and there.

I like seeing non factory changes to these old cars that CAN be changed back by the next owner. he could put back a chrome bumper etc...

yep Demons are hard to find and their specific parts are too! seems to me.

Yep that is a legit question. I just posted the pic of my 72 and can see the grille is all black...lol
I know the bezels on the 71 I parted awhile back were silver and then had some black around the outside. I'm going GOLD metalflake on mine...lol

And yes Demon specific parts are nuts to find. If I ever buy another it will need to be all there

Last edited:
I've seen that Dart in person and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's an example of black paint done right. Having a black grille and bumpers definitely fits the car well and doesn't look like trash.

View attachment 1715063085 View attachment 1715063086
This Dart, while beautifully done, it just looks like a black blob. None of the Dart's features are accentuated. Except that stupid overly large billboard in the back window.

This Dart, while beautifully done, it just looks like a black blob. None of the Dart's features are accentuated. Except that stupid overly large billboard in the back window.

The owner was there promoting his brand, hence the big decal.

Usually, I don't like murdered-out cars. This Dart looks really mean though. The stance is just right, sounds great, and it actually stands out in a crowd because of how well it's done. But I get what you're saying and for the vast majority of blacked out cars I'd agree with you. It does not have a lot of contrast between the parts like it would if they were a different color, but the body lines of the Dart go very well with the black paint and the contrast of gloss and satin black help keep things interesting.

To each their own! It's not something I'd ever do to my Dart but I can understand why some people like it.

as time marches on, lets face it, these old Mopars we love, MANY will be getting the "street rod" treatment that those fat fendeerd cars of decades ago ( 30's, 40's ,50;s) have received!??? right. we will not all agree with what the owner chooses to do. and more likely the target of this altercation will not be the more desirable ( rarish) examples, like 69 chargers, bees, runners, etc, but or more pedestrian cars like 70 slant darts ! ?
I figure in this old mopar hobby, we do not all have the same likes and tastes, but we can respect those that differ with us? just as long as some NUT CASE isn't stuffing a chevy motor in that MOPAR!!! ha hahahahha

You know why they make different color shirts?

Because we all don't like the same thing.

To each their own! It's not something I'd ever do to my Dart but I can understand why some people like it.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

Don't like what's been done to a car? Make an offer and do it the way you want it.

Until then it ain't your blood, sweat, tears, time, energy, and money to dictate what someone else does with their's.

Seriously, some of the arrogance in threads like these make me shake my head.

Can't put a cowl induction hood on a Mopar? Really? Why the hell can't I? It's my car, not yours. I didn't pay for it or build it for you to think yours is the opinion that mattered.

Can't paint the bumpers? Why the hell can't I? I did it because it's my car and I like it. I didn't do it because your opinion matters.

My opinion matters on my build. Don't like it then it's time to get the f*** over yourself.

I don't think people intentionally make it look like crap. Even the original post might not have looked bad when it was done. The best paint or nicest chrome gets faded and ratty after years, especially if not taken care of. 30 years ago these cars were filling the junkyards and people did whatever they felt like to them with little care cause they were cheap and everywhere.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

Don't like what's been done to a car? Make an offer and do it the way you want it.

Until then it ain't your blood, sweat, tears, time, energy, and money to dictate what someone else does with their's.

Can't put a cowl induction hood on a Mopar? Really? Why the hell can't I? It's my car, not yours. I didn't pay for it or build it for you to think yours is the opinion that mattered.

Can't paint the bumpers? Why the hell can't I? I did it because it's my car and I like it. I didn't do it because your opinion matters.

My opinion matters on my build. Don't like it then it's time to get the f*** over yourself.
For me, the thing is, I do want people to like what I've done. I build my cars my way, but I still would like people to think I did a good job. That's why we take these cars to cruise ins, and car shows.

For me, the thing is, I do want people to like what I've done. I build my cars my way, but I still would like people to think I did a good job. That's why we take these cars to cruise ins, and car shows.

Doing a good job in executing your ideas is NOT the same thing as having someone tell you your ideas suck.

Many here are criticizing the decisions, not the execution. The decision to build your car your way is not a matter of their concern.

As I said, it's MY decision if I want to run a cowl hood or paint my bumpers, not someone else's. In that someone else's opinion on my build counts for nothing.

There is some damn nice looking Nova`s and Chevy II`s in this thread.

I know our hobby is many times larger, people wise, and number of cars that are in "captivity" wise , that is not lying out in the ditches and boneyards, since I first started "messing" with these cars bout '85...... way back at the beginning of this "hobby" Mopar people were ,, are still are in a minority. we tended to be more RABID bout our interest and enthusiasm of this brand. we tended to stick together. we were a pretty close knit bunch, sorta....there was very little interest in the aftermarket for our cars compared to GM and Ford. and our brand might have had its trouble, but in the beginning we had not been sold out a couple of times, brankrupt yes put pulled out of that with some dignity!?
point is I guess, there are people now in the second generation of this hobby, even the third generation. it is so much more commonplace to see a mopar with a chevy looking hood, or GM looking work, for example. me I care not, do I want such? no, but it is not my car that carries that hood! ha
I want my mopar to look lile a Mopar. nd I wantthe engine bay body color. just me.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

---------------AGREE W/ THIS-------------

high performance retard look.

This is a highly offensive word and should be stricken from our modern vocabulary. Some people here have family or friends with mental disabilities and this is very insulting. Rani you're a good kid and I'm sure you meant no harm, but you're better than that.

This is a highly offensive word and should be stricken from our modern vocabulary. Some people here have family or friends with mental disabilities and this is very insulting. Rani you're a good kid and I'm sure you meant no harm, but you're better than that.

Except that the "word" is still used for medical diagnosis and therapy plans.

Using as slang I can understand, but ask your child or family members' OT what the clinical chart says. If the diagnosis doesn't fit "typical" diagnosis such as Down's or Autism, it'll almost always say "retardation."

It's okay if you're neurologist tells you that your child suffers from mental retardation. It's not okay to call someone else that name.

It's okay if you're neurologist tells you that your child suffers from mental retardation. It's not okay to call someone else that name.

As I said, slang is understandable as calling another person and I understand the feelings behind it.

Just clarifying that it is a clinical term still in use by physicians and therapists. My
late wife Sarah was an Occupational Therapist who started her career working in group homes for mentally handicapped adults. She cringed having to write the term in her notes, but from a clinical standpoint it is a word that is used to convey the type and severity of said handicap.

Replace "retard" with the word "Stupid". To ignorant people, they may be offended. I'm no grammar expert but the word was used as a verb and not as a noun. No-one was specifically called a "retard". Now, let's get on with the discussion.

to take this discussion further, what comes to my mind everytime I buy one of our beloved old mopar projects, is coming behind someone else, and having to redo and fix "work" they did. like grade 3 hardware bolts that snap off? for example. the list can be long. generally I rather by an old car that has sat decades, and no one that lacks simple common sense and abilities has worked on it! ha
my last example only has a set of the "always present" 20 yr old air shocks with its little hole in the trunk. no big hill or deal for a "stepper"! ha

Replace "retard" with the word "Stupid". To ignorant people, they may be offended. I'm no grammar expert but the word was used as a verb and not as a noun. No-one was specifically called a "retard". Now, let's get on with the discussion.

The politically correct movement has gone too far...

What about freedom of speech - the 1st amendment...

There used to be a saying when I was a kid, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me...." It seems to have been long lost....

If you don't like the word, just ignore it and move on... Don't get so butt-hurt over it...

My timing is too far "Down Syndrome" so I had to "honor student" it to make it run better.... (That sounds gay - no offense to any gay people...)

I didnt mean it to offend real mentally challenged people. It is slang and widely used today but regardless, it doesn't mean if a crowd jumps off a bridge that we all should follow.

You will find the original post edited and i apologize sir.

This whole thread was one i wish i hadn't started but was originally a rant over what i feel is abuse of a good old car by the previous owner. But regardless, the car's new mom is here to rescue it and i plan to fix a new grille for it.

:)

Anytime you talk about personal taste and offer an opinion - you open a Pandora's box. This place is FULL of threads that are essentially "mine vs yours" on the opinion front... thankfully they usually remain mostly civil. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

-
Back