Why is my dusters glove compartment full of water?

-
Probably the wiper pivot seals...

My guess is the windshield seal. There is a small indent in the body just above the glovebox. Sometimes it will not seal with the gasket and you have to use the sealant in a tube to get it sealed. Ask me how I know.

Jack

There is a dam under the cowl and a drain at the end of the cowl. A loe of these cars are rusted through around the dam. and or the drains are clogged. The did notpaint under the cowl and it is always seen the elements if not Garage kept. Here are pics of what i am talking about

The easy fix is jack the car on one side. Plug the drain on the other side. Pour a gallon of POR15 down the cowl so it fills the rusted area . Unplug the drain and catch the POR15 to do the other side. This will stop the rust. Put POR15 around the same area in the car. This will seal the rust . you can now seal it on the inside. I mention using POR15 just because most people know of it. I use Chassis saver

Here are some pics of what it looks like under most cowls

Attachments

• DSCF1110001[1].jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCF1110003[1].jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF1110004[1].jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCF1110006[1].jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 373
Those are good pics and should help to clear things up for a lot of folks:cheers:
C

I'm guessing the windsheild gasket or the area behind the windsheild is rotted) or maybe a wiper pivot seal is bad. The water dam in the cowl ( as suggested) is not over the glove box, and when they do rot out they leak water into the heater box, sense thats what is below it. I would remove the glove box liner and investate with a flash light while someone sprays a garden hose at the windsheild for you. You will find the culprit.

I'm guessing the windsheild gasket or the area behind the windsheild is rotted) or maybe a wiper pivot seal is bad. The air dam in the cowl ( as suggested) is not over the glove box, and when they do rot out they leak water from the heater box, sense thats what is below it. I would remove the glove box liner and investate with a flash light while someone sprays a garden hose at the windsheild for you. You will find the culprit.

It is not an air dam it is a water dam. They are also seam sealed which dries and cracks. If you need pics of them rotted I have some . I have fixed many cowls when wiper seals and windshield seal didn't correct the problem at other shops. It could be any of the above. But this area is always neglected as the culprit.

I have a duster in the shop right now. The cowl is off and the dams are rotted. There are drain holes in the lower windshield frame to let the water drain into the cowl area pictured. You can see the path from this drain in the first pic.

The reason there is a bevel at the tops of the dams is to prevent water from being pushed over the top from air flow into the heater intake on the right and vent area on the left. Take this info for what its worth I really don't care who says what. They don't Rust here?? look at the pics. Bare metal, water and air, results in what? Most are still sealed with dirt. so they seep water not leak. When this area is rusted it does not leak into the heater but around it. depending where it rusted through it can get into the glove box

nobodys saying the dams don't rot out, ( I'v replaced bunches of them myself in my shop over the last 38 years) I just highly dought the water he's getting inside his glovebox is from the cowl dam, as it is to far forward of the glovebox. Like I said, the best way to find the problem is to remove the glove box liner and look around a little with a flash light while somebody sprays water on the outside.

Lower windshield/gasket leak. I bet you also get water running down the passenger side floor,on heavy rains. Check your carpet on that side after a heavy rain. Is the carpet wet ? That's how the floors get all shot out,and need replaced. A little trick I use to do. When you know a storm is coming in,take some low tack blue tape and tape that lower portion of the windshield. Then put on a car cover. The tape will wisk the water away. Sun comes out,remove the tape.

I'm not really up to replacing a set of hats or the lower cowl. But I was looking and I can't seem to find repops. Do they make anything for the a-body?

You'll still have to pop off the cowl to replace them. Think about using body adhesive here.

mine does the same thing,from the windshield gasket.good thing my glovebox isn't the cardboard type......

don't think there is any wayaround taking it out and use a new gasket and some sealer....don't usesilicone!

There is a gasket between the heater case air intake and the underside of the cowl. If that gasket is good the water goes into the case and drips from the fresh air vent door. If the gasket is bad it can let water run across the top of the heater case. From there down into the glove box ? I have seen that gasketcurled up in such a way that it wicks water into the cabin.

Here are pics of where to look for the leak. Note these are minor rust holes and sometimes they are closer toward the windshield and larger. Usually if the windshield leaks it comes down inside the kick panels or the firewall. There are drains that lead from the windshield into the cowl area. then it still comes into the car at this location.

As you can see when it rusts at this area it does not lead inside the heater box. The rust holes are on the out side of the seal. And most of the time closer to the windshield above the glove box.

On this car it was worse on the drivers side the side with the studs. It depends on how the car is setting and where the debris sets and which drain clogs. But most cars have clogged drains or at least partially blocks.

This can be repaired without removing the cowl very easy. And if the car is already painted the repair can be made without cosmetic damage to the paint .

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 282
  • Picture 027.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Picture 026.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Picture 025.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Picture 024.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Picture 029.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 251
Oldmanmopar,
You might have a point,he does live up in Seattle,where its green for a reason.
Lots of rain.

-
Back