Why Mopar?............The Passion....

-
I have been hooked since I was a kid even though my dad always bought Chevy's. The guy that had my Fish when I was a kid was a family friend and was around the house all the time, it made a big impression on me as a kid being jacked up with a 340 4spd. and 9" rear end, also one of my uncles was a huge Mopar guy and always had impressionable Mopars from a Hemi powered 33 Plymouth coupe, 57 300c Hemi conv. Hemi powered 47 Dodge truck, 36 Plymouth coupe, 68 Charger are just a few but the one that was the most impressive to me at the time was actually his Barris Mercury that he found burnt in a junk yard back in 73 which he restored and put a 392 Hemi in, I know it's not a Mopar but it was a cool car and had a lot of famous history, the fact that it had a Hemi over powered the fact it was a Mercury.

I am a true Mopar guy but I do respect all of them. Along with my 4 Mopars I still have my fathers 63 Impala conv he bought new and a 50 Merc that is getting a Mopar drive train.

Here is my Fish back in late 69 and 70 and my uncles Barris Merc which has been white since the mid 70's

1-70.png

cuda001.jpg

FrankSonzogni1950Mercvi-vi.jpg

Scan13_1_0032_032.jpg

Dad worked for Chrysler in an engine plant for 38 years, 2 brothers hired in in the 70's but then were layed off. Mopar was what we bought, plus my brother's 70 Cuda played a small part in my love of Mopar.

The first Mopar I loved was....The General Lee. I had a different experience then most with Ma Mopar. My Grandfather was Dodge since the sixties but parents drove Fords and Imports. The first Mopar was an 86 LeBaron GTS 2.2 Turbo 5 speed. I was excited when I first got it until the head cracked. It took a long time to get it back together then one week later the turbo blew and spewed oil and antifreeze into my freshly rebuilt motor. I disliked that car so much I put a Calvin pissing on Dodge sticker on it. I stayed far from Mopar until I inherited my 68 Dart GT. Now, all I want is Mopar. For the past 15 years Dodge has stepped up on the style depatment. I have two fairly new Nissan's that were purchased while I was employed by Nissan. They will be replaced by Dodge as soon as nessasary. I did buy a 07 Ram but sold it because the Nissan was cheaper with employee discount.

the first time i heard my uncles 70 RR 383 there was no way id ever consider anything but a mopar. my family has been loyal to chrysler since sometime in the 30's when my grandpa had a small farm and he had always used plymouths chryslers and desotos to get around . my dads first cars were a 64 fury, and a 70 duster 340 hes had since 1972. my uncles first was a 70 duster 340, my moms was a 68 valiant slanty, and myself a 74 /6 project.

my uncle was always a chevy gear head but he died b4 i was born.. my dad has never been a gear head i dragged him into the mopar car scene. im 22 now when i was about 7 i went to my friends uncles junkyard all i remember he had a 69 superbee and a 70 roadrunner in a big pull barn i know the rr had a hemi in it not sure on the bee..i remeber b/c when i came home i would say hemi like himi.. up in rafters of the barn i remeber some other mopars and my friend tellin me they were hemi cars. when i saw that bee and RR i fell in love and never looked back

I like Mopars because of my family- My grandfather bought a dark green 1969 Barracuda fastback(318cc SB). My dad inherited a 1964 Dodge panel "town wagon"(225cc slant 6) in the early 70's from his ex-business partner. And these were the cars I grew up being driven from the time I can remember. Both cars are still in the family and running great!

I officially became an enthusiast when I bought a 1967 barracuda convertible(318cc SB) in honor of my grandfather and am restoring it currently.

And all of these cars have nostalgia regarding my past. The barracuda fastback reminds me of my grandfather. The town wagon reminds me of my childhood. And the convertible barracuda reminds me that it is just cool!

FYI: SB= small block

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/image.php?u=5021&dateline=1288316284&type=profile[/URL]

After owning a couple of the other brands I drove a friends 65 Barracuda with a 340 and was hooked, the power and the handling where sooo much better than anything else I ever drove. Been driving them ever since.

My cousin took me to an NHRA race @ Cayuga Dragway back in '64. This was the first time I had seen drag racing. I remember standing behind the fence at the start line. They were running the Super Stocks. Ronnie Sox, Dick Landy, Don Cloake, RamChargers, and whole bunch more Chrysler vehicles. There were Fords and Chevies there too but they were getting their butts handed to them by the Mopar racers. That did it. I was hooked on Chryler products. When I was old enough to drive I bought a '67 GTX . I've been hooked ever since.

Been hooked on them ever since my brother got one in 98. *(72 dodge dart swinger). Brother ended up suprizing me by giving it to me for my birthday because ive been working on it so much and got it back on the road from a 1 year engine blown slump. Had other cars before, 69 mustang, 69 amc javelin, 59 amc rambler, 70 vw squareback but the best is the Dart which i still own 2day and still drive it as a daily driver.

for me it all started with a car magazine (I think it might have been Autobuff) in the early 80s. On the cover was a totally over the top pro street (which was popular at the time) Dodge Challenger with a wild multi colored paint job and a big blower sticking out of the hood.
That car got me interested in Mopars specifically and old muscle cars in general. To this day Mopars are my favorite (I think my dream car would be a 70 Challenger T/A 6-pack), but I do have a lot of love for many of the GM and Ford models of the late 60s and early 70s

for me it all started with a car magazine (I think it might have been Autobuff) in the early 80s. On the cover was a totally over the top pro street (which was popular at the time) Dodge Challenger with a wild multi colored paint job and a big blower sticking out of the hood.
That car got me interested in Mopars specifically and old muscle cars in general. To this day Mopars are my favorite (I think my dream car would be a 70 Challenger T/A 6-pack), but I do have a lot of love for many of the GM and Ford models of the late 60s and early 70s

I remember that magazine. I always had a hard time putting it down when I got a copy.

My cousin got my brother and I hooked...He was about 15yrs older than me and raced a factory lightweight car. An aluminum front end '64 Hemi Polara 330 and a plum crazy '70 GTX 440 6pack at Atco raceway in the early to mid 1970's. His '64 ran low 10's and was eating up his class. He told me he was "black balled" because his '64 HEMI, a MOPAR, was eating up the class (I forget which one). They either moved him to a different class or made an exception in which he had to race against motorcylces. This pissed him off and he quit racing there. I remember when he sold off the aluminum hood & fenders for $5000. and the race HEMI for $10,000. back in the late 70's.

:burnout:

Why Mopars? My first RELIABLE car was a 64 Dart Slant. I could trust that car anytime, anywhere. The bodywork was pretty much junk, but the engineering...and it felt right, you sit high and can see out over the hood, not like being buried in a dungeon like the Camaros, etc. Mopars have HEART!

I hate being one of the crowd, the trillions of Fords and chevys that you have to look at closely to pick one modded car from another...of course I now pay for it with a complete lack of aftermarket support, but thats the price you pay for being unique. Besides can't complain too much, the barracuda beats the snot out of trying to find parts for my old Packard!

I was born and raised withnothing but mopars. I was brought home as a new born baby in my parents desoto with a hemi ! My parents always had Chrysler products and so it rubbed off on me in a big way. I have five mopars currently. I have a superbird a lil red express ( original owner) a 71 340 duster, and a hemi ram, and a grand Cherokee. Were a mopar family and always will be !

I was brought home from the hospital in a 72 Demon. We always had mopars from the demon to a Lebaron to Ram Chargers to a Dynasty (that car broke the chain). I finally got my chance to buy a Duster and jumped on it wish it was a Demon for my mom but close enough for now. Plus they just look cooler than all the shivvies.

My daddy raised me right haha.
Been working on my 74 Duster with him for the past 5 years or so. I'm only 18.
Dad had many Ford and Chevy cars in highschool including Mustangs and Camaros.
Personally I like the style and sound of Dodges, Plymouths, and Chryslers more than any other. Nothing turns a head a loud classic American car.

epli8i.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/blownfish_photos/cars/cuda001.jpg

Hey Blownfish, is that a thunderbolt teardrop scoop on ur Cuda?

It was the Thunderbolt style, but actually just an aftermarket scoop from the speed shop.

Did it say "I WHINE" on the plate?

I vaguely remember Autobuff, but I thought they did a cover of that car. It was a local St. Louis car and it popped up on the cover of numerous magazines back in the early 80's, unfortunately he went into a DQ with his kid back around 84-85 and the car caught fire while they were in line and burnt up before they could get it out. He ended up building an "I WHINE 2" out of the salvageable parts, but the paint wasn't as elaborate.

Well, most of my family are Ferd fans and I started out as one. But when I was eight, the mopar snake bit me and sent its venom deep into my vains. It all actually started in one of my Dads friends 1975 Dodge truck with a mild build 360 and a four speed. I can remember the exact corner this happened on. He asked me if I knew any Fords that could do this and proceded to rev it up, droped the clutch, and that thing broke three tires loose as we slid around the corner. No more Ferds for this boy. :) In my older years, how could I love something else. I mean have any of you ever heard a 426 HEMI. :)

My first car was a 72 Charger 440 magnum and 2nd car 67 coronet 440 and i never looked back . Back in the early 80's in Bakersfield all of us with Mopars hung out together and enjoyed much success at midnight drags . Besides that i have always felt that Mustangs are a girls Muscle car and Chevy's are like assholes , every one has one .

-
Back