Why so critical of "universal" flex radiator hoses?

-
This thread went downhill when people started getting uptight about "how it looks" (the universal hose) and "standards" .

Everybody has standards, some more than others. like when i see a rat rod, if it is actually just some parts thrown together, not my cup of tea. But old parts put together so the outcome has good form and function but still looks "ratty", love it. All it takes is a little time and thought, and a big difference between the two outcomes.

well the original question was:

"why so critical of "universal" flex radiator hoses"..

there was numerous opinions listed.. if you didn't want to see the answer why open the thread? don't think anyone got uptight about anything but maybe you. they look stupid and make it look like stuff was short cut along the way. just the way it is.. if you are ok with that look then so be it.. some are not ok with that but i don't see anyone but you uptight.

Yeah man, I am uptight to at least 1 person on an internet forum... But if I may clarify, 'Its my Flex hose and I'll run it if I want to..." don't make me post a pic..:)
I opened this thread to defend the "Mighty Universal Flex Hose" here it comes to save the day

Last edited:
Hey, I resemble that remark. That Big Yellow Coil is the best dang coil I ever bought. It's been sizzling my electrodes since 1999.
But no yellow wires under my hood, no sir!
Back in my cruising days I was running around without a hood and a tunnel ram sticking out and yes, yellow spark plug wires. I once over heard some guys while looking at my engine bay and saying, "Yellow spark plug wires. This thing must be fast!" I'm not sure how much of my Coke I spit out...

I still remember my first Ev-buzz. I was almost 19 and a tee-totaller, and while working on a buddys car, with some friends, someone brought me my favorite drink, a lime cool-aid. I think before I got to the bottom of that 10ozer, I was suspecting something was up, but it was a hot day and his underhood was even hotter. Soon, I had another,and soon I was bombed. I hate those guys...lol. They started me on a 21 year learning curve of trying to control the freaking buzz. IIRC there was a lot of puking involved in the beginning, and a couple of lost days.Lost in that, I have no idea what I mightof done during them.I quit that chit in 94.
So what's this got to do with universal rad hoses?
Oh...... nothing.
But this thread has degenerated to.......IDK, so we might as well have some fun reminiscing while we're here.:)

Cool story. I got you beat by a year of sobriety.

I know there is video of me in a complete black out. No one could tell I was blacked out. I'm missing many days I don't remember.

I remember the yellow "Accel" wires and some dude giving me crap about "man, they suck. Moroso Blue Max are the chit..."

i will say the "universal Accels were lousy, especially if the ends weren't crimped right.

So anyway, just so we trackin...the flex hose and the Yellow wires are no go?.......
and we all have an Everclear story I'm thinking:lol:

See, isn't this fun....

Yup. Much better than throwing up and blacking out. Though I can count on one hand the numbers of time I threw up.

Here is a bit of trivia for ya.

The first time I was drunk was in CANADA! 1980. Went up their with our H.S. music class. We went to Langely. I think that's how it's spelled. We were there for almost a week. On Saturday night the Canadians threw one hell of a party. There was probably 200 people there. I got drunk, blacked out, ended up with the wrong girl. They had some posts set up in the back yard and if you got sick they just drug you out there and draped you over it and let you puke.

People ended up not going back to the homes they were staying in. The guy rooming with me never made it back. He was suspended when we got back to school.

One hell of a trip. Wild assed Canadians.

I was 5, 6, or 7 years old. My dad had an "Old Fashioned" cocktail (water/ice, sugar, bitters, Jim Beam) every evening before dinner was served. I don't know why (still not much of a drinker-a beer now and then) but I used to ask him for a "sip" and he said go ahead. Then one of those evenings mom called us for dinner. As I walked from the family room to the kitchen table, I found I was dizzy and banging into the walls. Mom and dad put me to bed.

To me it says the owner doesn't give a ****. Any auto parts store will let you walk behind the counter and pick a molded hose that will work. We keep a crap load of them in stock in two brands. I have helped many people pick out a molded hose for a custom application. It doesn't take much effort.

To me it says the owner doesn't give a ****. Any auto parts store will let you walk behind the counter and pick a molded hose that will work. We keep a crap load of them in stock in two brands. I have helped many people pick out a molded hose for a custom application. It doesn't take much effort.

Yep, and when I see a molded hose it tells me I have to be suspect of every other thing on the car.
It's nothing personal against flex hoses per se, just gives the feeling of half assed work.
I'd run one if I blew a hose out in the desert away from home or any decent parts houses, but it would come back off ASAP and get replaced with clean flowing molded.

I have yellow Accel spark plug wires though, so who am I to judge? :D

So I am also thinking a Holley 4160 model with Vacuum secondary is out of the question ? You know the cheap one with a secondary metering plate?

Yep, and when I see a molded hose it tells me I have to be suspect of every other thing on the car.
It's nothing personal against flex hoses per se, just gives the feeling of half assed work.
I'd run one if I blew a hose out in the desert away from home or any decent parts houses, but it would come back off ASAP and get replaced with clean flowing molded.

I have yellow Accel spark plug wires though, so who am I to judge? :D
How much faster did your car get with them yellow wires,lol
I bought a set in the very early 70s, to replace the aging stockers on my 70Swinger 340,lol. I got sucked in by the hype. I was 19ish.Accel was all the rage back then.

So I am also thinking a Holley 4160 model with Vacuum secondary is out of the question ? You know the cheap one with a secondary metering plate?
Oh no automatics love that carb. It's still a Holley,just bolt it on and burn rubber! I think I even have one somewhere around here. It was too slow for me tho........
When I hit the go pedal, I expect instantaneous action; I got no time for vacuum secondaries. By the time that thing wakes up, the moment might be lost.
No, nothing but a DP for this stick-stirring-cowboy. When I hit it, ALL 4 Barrels open up, and the mighty 367 explodes in fiery fury. There is a screaming engine, roaring pipes, and sssssmoking tires;instantly. Then about 2 to 3 seconds later, the tires scream again but this time it's cuz the brake pedal is in the rad. That's how I roll.
But maybe you'll have better luck with one of them,lol.

Last edited:
How much faster did your car get with them yellow wires,lol
I bought a set in the very early 70s, to replace the aging stockers on my 70Swinger 340,lol. I got sucked in by the hype. I was 19ish.Accel was all the rage back then.

Well it obviously didn't get any faster, but I have never had a problem with them either, and did all the ends myself when I fit them to the motor.
I have the 8mm silicone versions if that lets me off the hook any.:D

Here's a pic so Y'all can make fun of it. :D

SANY0007.JPG

I have pre-made Accel yellowwires on my 351M Ford. They have worked great for 2 plus years.

@ Trail beast: The pic neds a "Universal flexi Hose" Can someone photo shop one in? I would but Im going on a beer run :lol:

-
Back