Why so critical of "universal" flex radiator hoses?

-
Kindof like yogapants. You either love 'em or hate 'em depending on what's in 'em.

My wires are blue. Jacobs. I needed wires, I bought their hype. They're 18 this year.

Yea, I'm generally guided more by personal preference and function rather than hype, and I like the yellow wires.
In fact stuff that is functionally simple then overly hyped raises suspicion in my book.
(like lit glass hoses):D

Alright I couldn't help it, yellow wires, Flexi hose, a 600 Holley, and the unholiest of sins, a 340 air cleaner on a 318. The electronic ignition module is in the wrong place also...kinda makes ya throw up in your mouth a little don't it?.:lol:
dartresto1 015.jpg

Last edited:
Alright I couldn't help it, yellow wires, Flexi hose, a 600 Holley, and the unholiest of sins, a 340 air cleaner on a 318. The electronic ignition module is in the wrong place also...kinda makes ya throw up in your mouth a little don't it?.:lol:View attachment 1715059758

The orange paint overspray on the vacuum hose for the intake manifold heat flap is the cherry on top on what not to do! Is it a real FC7 car or was it sprayed that color to go with all the other sins in the picture?

"Father forgive me for I have sinned" Side from the already confessed Flexi hose, yellow wires, and Holley with a 340 air cleaner on a 318, I have committed the followin atricities on my Mopar: I had run a set of yellow Lakewood slapper bars, I knew I had a pinion snubber, but thought they looked cool. I also rmoved the Brown woodgrain knob from my Factory Hurst shifter and installed a white knob with 4 speed pattern, again just cause I think it looks cool. I painted my 318 "Chevy Blue" because that was the only blue engine paint I could find at Wal- Mart.I also had two aluminum slots on the rear, and two small bolt ralleys up front, it didnt look cool, but the car had a nice stance, and the rear slots were a little wider, making the 205-70-14 tires "appear wider" father, forgive me, for I was a young man and knew not what I do...:)

Last edited:
Ha.. paint the yellow accel coil BLACK!!!

OK so flex hoses and engine bays painted black makes Mopar folk's *** not want to stove good. ( NOT good). I never was sure what that meant but 50-60 years ago, when Ma said that she was NOT a happy woman! again not good.

Reminds me of days gone by.
We just drove them till they broke and went and got another one.
I remember in about 78/79,I had this one 74 Duster 318, that wouldn't die. I sold it with the proviso that when the purchaser was done with it,I would buy it back for $50. I bought and sold that car several times. One time it came back not running, and the compression was down.........at zero........on all holes.....lol.
It turns out the boys got into the sauce, and decided to see what the teener could take. One of them had "bricked", the gas pedal, and they continued to party. After some unspecified long time, they got tired of hearing the mighty roaring Mopar, and,cuz it wouldn't blow up, some adventurous youth flipped the brick off the pedal. (I think they said it was a stone actually). And as the rpm came down they discovered it wouldn't stay running,DUH.
They actually towed it back to me for the $50.
Well I pulled the heads, and swapped a spare set on ( I had lots of spare parts in those days), and resold it almost right away; there were always customers for cheap cars. Of course I had seen the witness marks on the pistons, so it was a no brainer............. that... every... intake... was.... bent.
Hyup drive it til it breaks and then get another one.......................What it looked like under the hood,nobody cared.

I think it all comes down to what you are doing, that pic of my engine bay was back when it was on the road before restoration, which I am now in the middle of. The OcD people are obviously car show critics, and people who think they are getting $30K when they sell. My car is a driver, and after it is done it will get driven. It also ran very well with the 318 with 340 air cleaner, and flexi hose/ yellow wires. I would get compliments when it was in primer like in my avatar by old heads who remembered what it was. "that sounds good, is that a 340 in it?" I would always respond truthfully, "no, its a 318, I have the 340 on the stand though" these cars arent for show, they are for go and I often miss my car when it wasnt taken down for resto, mainly because I wont beat the balls off of it like I used to when it was a gray primer outlaw mobile. I will probably drive sensibly for fear of chipping the paint.... maybe not, but point is, my car wasnt in a show being judged, and like previously mentioned, I put it together with what I had laying around in the garage. Definitely low budget. Which comes back to the point of the OP, a flexi hose is "low budget" Some of the people on here can afford to fuss and nitpick, when you are in your late 20's and thirties with old lady and kids, you do what you gotta do to get your **** running. My car is slowly coming around, I tell people its in better shape now than it ever was

Last edited:
I remember those Family-First days like they were yesterday. Oh wait, it was yesterday! In today's topsy-turvy world, they never really end. My 68 is languishing in the carport, cuz I give all my spare money to the 3 little Beggars I fathered. Hyup, it's still Family-First.
If I don't drive her this summer, it will be the third no-drive summer. She's needing body work pretty bad.

. Which comes back to the point of the OP, a flexi hose is "low budget" Some of the people on here can afford to fuss and nitpick, when you are in your late 20's and thirties with old lady and kids, you do what you gotta do to get your stuff running.

If your fixing on running your wife and kids around in that old hotrod you'd better make sure you don't install the parts most likely to fail

I remember those Family-First days like they were yesterday. Oh wait, it was yesterday! In today's topsy-turvy world, they never really end. My 68 is languishing in the carport, cuz I give all my spare money to the 3 little Beggars I fathered. Hyup, it's still Family-First.
If I don't drive her this summer, it will be the third no-drive summer. She's needing body work pretty bad.
thats the point i got to, where "its time to redo this car right" Its been torn down for a few years, but its worth it when you see that its coming together, and the body is straightening out,
If your fixing on running your wife and kids around in that old hotrod you'd better make sure you don't install the parts most likely to fail
I never had issues with the flex hose, in fact, this post points more to aesthetics and concourse "correct" issues rather than functionality. I did read about "flow problems" can't say I ever experienced them. I suppose my point is, one can spend a lot of $$$ making their car correct, or get it on the road and drive it.. Whichever side you take , in the end one person will be working on their car, while the other will be out driving around in it. You start with the correct hose, then you put a worm clamp on it, and some "expert" will call you out because it isn't a "correct" radiator hose clamp, then you get the clamp, and another "expert" will call you out because the hose has Gates or Dayco stamped on it in ink, not Mopar, and so it never ends,and anyone can play that game if so inclined. Will I replace my flex hose? most likely, is it a show stopper if I want to drive my car? absolutely not.

-
Back