Why the /6

-
Bill, do you ahve the link to the thread with the front-facing headers on that turbo slant? Looks amazing, but it leaves me wondering if they'll have room for the fan and radiator.

Bill, do you have the link to the thread with the front-facing headers on that turbo slant? Looks amazing, but it leaves me wondering if they'll have room for the fan and radiator.

Are you talking about these headers (see below) in this car? (also, see below.)

If so, here are a couple of pictures (see farther below) showing how they fit... tight, but works OK. If this is not what you're talking about, I apologize...

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 100_3720.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 100_3710.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_3795.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_3796.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_3707.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 357
I love the argument that "rare" equates to "value"....

i never made that argument, I just said i'm thankful that the v8 upgraders made my #s matching car more 'rare'. i certainly don't think it affects value, after all it is still a bare bones/basic/no options/no frills car, so it will always fall towards the bottom of the value barrell (ironically, it would be worth more if I dropped a v8 in it and made it a non-correct car). I could honestly care less about value, it's more about the fun and being different

@ Bill - I've been reading your posts + pishtas + tons of others here and on slantsix.org and eventually that is the plan (a few years down the road tho), but i'm on a super tight budget to just get her on the road 1st. and doing the turbo project (I would actually LOVE to do a 'what if the factory did turbocharge a /6' project and do it up to look as factory as possible) will require me to upgrade the crappy 7.25 rearend to an 8.75, and I might as well upgrade to an A833 at the same time (stuck with the crappy a903 now, yuck!) ..... so even doing a budget turbo build would cost me several grand in upgrades. so for now, she'll get a rebuild to @ 9.3:1 with an offy 4bbl intake and probably a holley 390cfm w/electronic ignition, relocate the battery to the truck to clean it all up. nothing too special, but it should move along decently, get decent gas mileage and best of all it's my dream car that I'll be able to drive daily. :)

since I was asked about the story on her: my dad bought it in '72 and drove it all around WA until '87ish when he parked it, no reason just wasn't interested in driving it anymore. sat on the farm in this spot ever since, outside in eastern WA through every season. the saving grace was that she is parked in area where the summer sun doesn't beat her to crap due to the trees .... but one of those trees dropped a branch on the hood/fender/windshield 2yrs ago - all replaceable, but a sad and costly event. I've been trying to pry it out of his hands for years, and finally got him to believe I want the car to restore and keep, not flip (ever have something you think about EVERY single day ... this is me and this Barracuda for the last 10years .... every fricken day ... time to get it out of my head and into my garage!!!) i'll be driving to WA end of next month to pick her up and trailer her back to CO for the revival. my son graduates next year and we are giving him our protégé, so I need something to fill the spot as my daily driver :)
Not to make any disparaging comments but in my opinion you will be destroying a rare unique car by performing the modifications you mentioned, why not just enjoy it the way it is.

If you truly want your car to be unique why not stick with original, chances are you will be the only one at the show.

i never made that argument, I just said i'm thankful that the v8 upgraders made my #s matching car more 'rare'. i certainly don't think it affects value, after all it is still a bare bones/basic/no options/no frills car, so it will always fall towards the bottom of the value barrell (ironically, it would be worth more if I dropped a v8 in it and made it a non-correct car). I could honestly care less about value, it's more about the fun and being different
I would be interested in buying the car as is and would offer what I feel would be a fair price, if it had a V-8 Id have no interest unless of course it was the original V-8 with original equipment/unmolested.

and in the end, that may be exactly what I do. just the intake mods and call it good. makes for a lot less work long term, lol.

@1930 - appreciated, but she is staying in the family and will passed down to my boy in 15-20yrs :) (over on cuda-challenger.com forums, a guy just picked up 3 B'cudas, 1 still has it's OG /6 drivetrain ... u may be able to score one http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=98811.0 )

That was it, Bill. Amazing work. I've seen your car before and loved it, just never realized it had the headers put on that way. An amazing idea.

That was it, Bill. Amazing work. I've seen your car before and loved it, just never realized it had the headers put on that way. An amazing idea.

Well, thanks for the very nice words, but in all honesty, I have to point out that the idea for the forward-facing header was not my idea at all (I bald-faced copied it from another FABO-member's car, Tom Wolfe's Shaker223,) and 2. I had NOTHING to do with building that header; my partner, Freddie Nielsen, designed and built it all by himself; I just watched. Only header he ever built.

But, it seems to work okay and looks acceptable, so, think we'll go with it.

Glad you like the car!!! :blob:

It's headed for its maiden voyage down the drag strip for some test-n-tune sometime in May, so we'll be able to tell if we did anything right...

Pray for us...:prayer::prayer::prayer: We'll need it...

Attachments

• 100_3613.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 292
I can't wait to see you and Freddie again :glasses7: and see this build I have been watching :thumleft::thumleft:
I have see your work and can't wait for the day in May, so keep us updated
here or send me a wake up call before you go :burnout:

I can't wait to see you and Freddie again :glasses7: and see this build I have been watching :thumleft::thumleft:
I have see your work and can't wait for the day in May, so keep us updated
here or send me a wake up call before you go :burnout:

Thanks for the support, Memike! Actually, Freddie and I are no longer partners in this effort. A couple of days ago, he surprised me by making me an offer I COULD NOT REFUSE, to be the sole owner of this bucket of bolts... so. I took him up on it.

That 4 1/2 year-old project is all mine, now... so, win, lose, or draw, it's all on me from here on out!

I will only say that our parting of the ways was extremely friendly, and that he was MORE THAN GENEROUS in settling on this issue. MORE THAN GENEROUS.... I just could not say no...

He offered to let me leave the car at his place indefinitely, and even said he'd continue to work on it if I wanted him to, but there are limits to how much of a person's good nature I can comfortably take advantage of, so I am going to bring it "home" and put in my garage sometime this week, probably. It has a 3:55 gear in it, so highway driving will be no problem.

Always before, if I wanted to work on it, it meant a ($10.00) 70-mile round-trip and an hour-and-a-half drive time, but I won't have that excuse any longer.

He has HUNDREDS of hours in the construction of this car... and I will be forever in his debt for that.

Thanks, FREDDIE!:blob:

When I take it to Centerville, Memike, you'll be notified! :supz:

I just got to ask why the /6 over a much better and more powerfull sbv8 or bbv8 why do you keep that low power unit?:wack:

I leave the slanty in my 67 Dart convert for a few reasons.

• The Dart was a "barn find" and just ran well right away. ZERO effort!
  • I can go anywhere, anytime without a second thought about costs, mileage, wear and tear (sixes are almost free and bullet proof).
  • I live an hour outside of Ottawa. Its great to be able to use it as a daily driver and not need another mortgage to pay for fuel. Put on over 9,000 miles last summer.
  • If it does go bang IDGAF, just pop in another slant.
  • Finally its a rescued Canadian rust bucket. If I put in an 8 it would probably come apart!

And I also have a 68 Roadrunner 383/4spd, so if I wanna burn rubber and gas $$$ she's right there in the garage.
:burnout:​

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 283
I leave the slanty in my 67 Dart convert for a few reasons.

• I can go anywhere, anytime without a second thought about costs, mileage, wear and tear (sixes are almost free and bullet proof).

What's ith the rust bucket thing..I bought a rust free duster out of the Ottawa area... :)

I hope you are not heading into Ottawa anywhere near rush hour or that slant is idling a whole lot...

I guess I will toss this one out...if I want to get 30+ miles to the gallon, I'll jump into my Mustang V8... :) I don't need a "6" for that..., mind you, my old 2wd RAM w/318 got 30s too...

What's ith the rust bucket thing..I bought a rust free duster out of the Ottawa area... :)

I hope you are not heading into Ottawa anywhere near rush hour or that slant is idling a whole lot...

Nope she's a rust bucket and a beater. I wish the cars here didn't rust. If you find a rust free Duster around Ottawa its big $$$, restored or was either a lot of years ago or not winter driven!

As for rush hour in Ottawa it is what it is :rambo:

If you wanna give her a look drop by the Rideau Carleton Raceway's Wednesday Night Cruise. I'm one of the organizers so the dart is usually there. Love to meet ya.

Take a peek at our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/RCRCRUISE

BTW the photo is from the "We need more welding Rod Album"!

Attachments

• IMG_8060.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 261
We escaped out of Ottawa years ago ago however, it is on our list as a retirement town. We quite like Merrickville...used to have quite a nice antique shoppe if my memory serves. We were living in Nepean at the time and used to drive the "surrounds" every weekend.

My sister lives in Orleans so we are up on a sporadic basis...cannot believe the traffic.

Our duster was driven by the proverbial old man who loved his grease and graphite..garaged it all the time and not sure if he did much winter driving. In an odd series of events, it ended up in NS where we bought it.

I thought it was too close in Ottawa to use salt...

I really don't miss the summer or winter but the spring/fall seasons were spectacular. We also miss Ikea :)

Great link btw ..
Ian :)

Looks like this thread's ship is starting to sink..........Still amazing chatter for the unwanted redhead stepchild.

Looks like this thread's ship is starting to sink..........Still amazing chatter for the unwanted redhead stepchild.

Yeah, it looks like the slant six's performance status as a too-well kept secret will endure. It's like pulling teeth to get people to realize that these leaning towers of power have a Jeckyl/Hyde personality disorder when treated to even moderate amounts of boost.

They are arguably the strongest basic engine Ma Mopar ever built, and have all sorts of advantages when given the right treatment at the hands of a knowlegable tuner.

But, the great bulk of the Mopar fans out there will go to their graves not realizing the potential these engines possess.

Like I said, a too-well-kept secret...:banghead:

Yeah, it looks like the slant six's performance status as a too-well kept secret will endure. It's like pulling teeth to get people to realize that these leaning towers of power have a Jeckyl/Hyde personality disorder when treated to even moderate amounts of boost.

They are arguably the strongest basic engine Ma Mopar ever built, and have all sorts of advantages when given the right treatment at the hands of a knowlegable tuner.

But, the great bulk of the Mopar fans out there will go to their graves not realizing the potential these engines possess.

Like I said, a too-well-kept secret...:banghead:

If I ever get finished with my (in-process) projects I seriously want to build a six now.

If I ever get finished with my (in-process) projects I seriously want to build a six now.

I think there are several of them being built as we speak....

The introduction of the PISHTA-designed exhaust system/turbo mount has helped facilitate the installation procedure to a large degree. It removes the stumbling-block of having to build a dedicated header, and also avoids the probability of cracking of the exhaust manifold since with the PISHTA system, no welding is necessary on the cast iron manifold, itself; it's all a bolt-on deal. It will work well for street systems and mild competition duty, For all-out racing, you'd still need to build a genuine header for flow considerations. The PISHTA system should work well for applications up to 300 horsepower, I would guess.

I'm including a picture or two of that system.

Some of the advantages I spoke of when bolting a forced-induction system onto this engine are not readily apparent, but will enable the person who does it to enjoy a smooth idle, great driveability and probably better-than-stock gas mileage, while making more power than is generally available from a normally-aspirated engine. Yhis is [pssible with only minimal modifications to the basic engine.

All this on ten pounds of boost, a Super Six 2bbl intake manifold and a (BLOW-THRU MODIFIED) Holley 500 two-barrel carb... and some 93 octane... pump gas.

Probably the cheapest way you could achieve 300 HP from a slant six... with not much in the way of downsides. Three hundred horsepower will give you a 3,300-pound A-body that will occasionally dip into the 12's and run the pants off any STOCK 340 car (I mean pure stock, not "NHRA" stock.)

Hell, I may build one myself for research purposes (and FUN!)... LOL!:happy1:

Attachments

• PISHTAFRONT.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 185
  • pishtaturbo.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 177
-
Back