wider steel wheels

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Has anyone had their wheels widened? My barracuda has its factory 14"x 4.5 steelies on it and I want to keep that look, but man a 195 tire is just too narrow. Is there anyone who makes a wider wheel that won't break the bank? What were the widest SBP steelies factory made 5.5"? Thanks for the help!

Widened a pair of the chrome center 15" Chrysler wheels to 9" once using the back half of cop car rims. Any machine shop can do it but some won't out of liability concerns. They will either re use your center or splice two rims.

I had two 14"x5 1/2" Magnum 500s made into 15"x8" for the back of a Coronet that i had.
I don't recall the name of the place but it was in Oklahoma. The was another that widened two plain black rims for me also -this is all going back 15 years or so ago.I saw the ad in Mopar Action magazine and called the place up,told them what I had.They gave me a quote ,I sent them the wheels and about two weeks later walla! They were exactly the way I wanted. The wheel centers on many steel wheels are the same but the outer "barrel" is either 14"/15". Just make absolutely sure of your measurements!!!! Wish I could remember the companies names........Dang old age and too many beers as a young man...........

Might as well step up to a 15" rim. Even then good luck finding decent rubber. 13, 14, 15 has gone the way of the dodo bird. No one devlopes rubber for these wheel sizes any more.

Specialty Wheel has 15x6,7,8, and 10 available in small bolt pattern. There is a wheel guy that is always at the Nats that widens wheels. He is from Ill. or Indiana but I can't seem to find his site.

What size tire are you trying to fit? You can fit a lot wider than 195's on a 5.5" rim. 225 or even 235 would be fine.

You can almost do a 'one stop shop' from a junk yard mid eighties fifth Ave. It's got 90 percent of you disk swap parts and 15x7 steelies.

I was in your same position about a year ago. I ended up buying 195/75 tires because that was a wide as recommended. Later on I did find some 14x5.5 steelies - which would have allowed a wider tire. These wheels not readily available, but they're out there. I think this was the widest made by the factory for 14" SBP.

If you haven't done anything yet, this is a good time to consider going to a 4.5" bolt circle and 15" tires, just as many people have said. This gives you many more options with respect to wheel width, tires, disc brake conversions, and even rear axle changeouts.

...also note that the M body axle perches are only 1/16 wider than 65-67 B body and the drum to drum width is only 1/2 wider, so if you're working on a "29" body, that's not too much of a stretch (literally) to get an 8 1/4 with BBP.

..well right now [email protected] in Quebec Canada may work
good for you,a US dollar is worth about $1.40 Canadian.
he specializes in Mopar factory wheels and his work is very high quality
as are his restored cars!

To bad you are not closer .. i have 2 sbp 14x7 already widened by stockton wheel ... with less than 200 miles on them .

Hey guys, im almost sure i saw in one of these threads about wheels there is a guy like just north of Des Moines IA, he did steel wheels, Spiders, any wheel, does this ring a bell with anyone? I want to go to small bolt 15x8 on steelies, i have road wheels but want steelies for the effect......

thanks

the centres are the same size
some just take 14" centres and weld them in 15" rims
do you know a decent welder?

A guy local to me does painted wheels with a brake lathe.

...but seriously...go to the U-pull and look for 5th Avenues or T&C wagons.

-
Back