Will an LA-360 bolt in where a LA-340 was?

-

69_340_GTS

Reaction score
Will an LA-360 bolt in where a LA-340 was previously in a '69 Dart? Or did I read that the motor mounts are somehow different? Please enlighten me. Thanks!

pretty much a straight bolt-in. you'll need to balance the flexplate or buy one..... or get a balanced converter. As far as mounts, I've always been able to make 'em work be it 318, 340, or 360

pretty much a straight bolt-in. you'll need to balance the flexplate or buy one..... or get a balanced converter. As far as mounts, I've always been able to make 'em work be it 318, 340, or 360
Thanks! I'm aware of the balancing issues if it's got a cast crank. That's not a problem.

340 & 360 mounts are the same. The 318 is different, and I would really like to know why? I guess the bean counters back in the day were sidetracked and this just got passed them. Now due to this snafu we can't buy the mount for 360 & 340 brand new from an auto store. We have to buy it either used or from Schumacher at a dear price.

Will an LA-360 bolt in where a LA-340 was previously in a '69 Dart? Or did I read that the motor mounts are somehow different? Please enlighten me. Thanks!
Curious to know why you are going with a 360 instead of 340?

69 will have biscuit style mounts. I think all 360 had spool style (truck might have used biscuit, not sure). You can use 318 biscuit mounts but will have to add washers to one side to take up the difference in the mounting ears on the block. This works fine, done it many times.
I would get a B&M solid flexplate for 360 balance. Other than that it should be a bolt in deal.

When using washers to make up the difference, could something else be used such as a piece of pipe or alternator spacers be used.

Curious to know why you are going with a 360 instead of 340?
The 340 I have is already .060" oversize and needs some work. Where are the good 340 blocks these days? Everyone wants $$$ for them and you don't even know what you're getting. 360s are easy to find, and it seems that is all the "crate engine" builders have to offer.

The 340 I have is already .060" oversize and needs some work. Where are the good 340 blocks these days? Everyone wants $$$ for them and you don't even know what you're getting. 360s are easy to find, and it seems that is all the "crate engine" builders have to offer.
The 340's wer only made for 6 years and were used in only performance applications. The 360's were made for 18 years and were used in most car models and lots of trucks.

Thats why I horded several standard bore 340 blocks 25 years ago. Hell, they were pricey and hard to find back then. If your building from the block up a 360 is fine. I prefer the short stroke of the 340 but a 360 can be built for some serious power.
You can make up some spacers for the mounts but its not much needed. If I recall it usually only takes 2-3 washers. However, if you have 340 mounts now I think they should bolt right on the 360 block with no changes. Its the 273/318 that had different ears if I remember correctly.

Is this for your GTS? Dont tell me you are throwing a 360 in that.

360s are spool mounts you will need 340 biscuit mounts only on the driver side.
20171031_160544.jpg
20171031_160528.jpg
340 Passenger side is the same I believe
Top photo is a 318 bottom is 340 both driver side the 318 used the bottom hole only on the rearward mount
Let me know what you need a guy that told me about this site has many different mounts and 340 blocks

The 340's wer only made for 6 years and were used in only performance applications. The 360's were made for 18 years and were used in most car models and lots of trucks.
LA 360's were made from 1971 up to 1992 (22 years). Then the magnums went from '93 to '03. 33 years total

Yeah, one side of the 340 is the same as 318...just cant remember which side.
You can use an el-cheapo 318 mount from rock auto and shim it. Nobody will ever know.

Yeah, one side of the 340 is the same as 318...just cant remember which side.
You can use an el-cheapo 318 mount from rock auto and shim it. Nobody will ever know.

passender side are the same...driver side are different from 318

Is this for your GTS? Dont tell me you are throwing a 360 in that.
If I can't find a good reasonably priced 340 block, it may come down to this. I am not going to pay what it costs to have the existing 340 block sleeved.

If I can't find a good reasonably priced 340 block, it may come down to this. I am not going to pay what it costs to have the existing 340 block sleeved.
What's reasonable for a block that's .030 for you?

Have you actually had the 340 checked out by a competent builder? All I see is where you say that it needs work. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I'd have the 340 carefully checked out (sonic testing) before making any drastic decisions.

-
Back