Will I reach 10,s??

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I was racing at Grand Bend Motorplex on the weekend and ran a 11.20@118mph 60 ft was 1.57.I have 3.91 gears now and have a spool with 4.30,s going in.What times will this produce?Also what 60ft times should I expect?Thanks for any help in my quest for 10,s.Oh,running a 26 inch MT drag radial 275/50/15,s.

You just might get there with some real good air..i was knocking on the door with my 416 it ran consistent 11.0's @ 120 using 3.91's didn't get a chance to run it with the 4.30's and spool my 60's were in the low 1.40's too...

Only if you can knock off a solid .1+ on the 60ft. you'll be right on the ragged edge, that would mean a 1.47 60ft., your MPH is about 2 mph slow for a solid 10.9 car, so in a nut shell, you'll need i'd say a 1.42-1.43 60ft. to a acheive it, looks like your at 11.20 in this heat, so, you may not need the 4.30s to get that 10.99 in mine shaft air.

The car has ran 11.34@120mph in evening air(cooler)spinning off the line.Traction problems solved,wasn,t heating them up enough.Duh.

I dunno, Scott, as I've never raced a car on the strip before.....I think with the 4.30's and heat up them slicks real good like you were saying, you just might do it! I say go for it! You have nothing to lose and a 10 sec reputation to gain!!! I believe it can be done!

I’m not sure…with a 26” tall tire and 4.30’s I think you might not gain a thing (maybe a little over geared)….but there is only one way to find out. Take it to the track and give it a try.

FWIW, if you can squeeze it, I would try to get a taller tire under there…28” tall tires would help with the traction issues.

Best of luck with the 10 second quest.

Scott as hard as you have been working to get that car up and running I think you will have a good chance to shave .20 off your times. Good luck bud not in Canada but rooting for ya.

The car has ran 11.34@120mph in evening air(cooler)spinning off the line.Traction problems solved,wasn,t heating them up enough.Duh.

As you may know, when you spin your MPH does pick up, so thats where the 120 came from, you abviously spun because the car picked up once the sun went down, i feel you can do it the way the car is now in "good" air with plenty of bite, because you should pick up ET & MPH even though you may only pick up .3 -.4 on the 60ft. in cool air, i normally lost a solid .2 & 2 from fall too summer with no jet/timing changes "dead" hooking, 60ft. would be 1.60 -1.62 in the heat, 1.57 - 1.58 in good air, low-mid 10.9s fall, high 11.0s in summer, as bad as low 11.teens, but my MPH was 122-123 in good air, 120-121 in the heat & crappy suspention all the time :angry7:, i should have been in the 10.7s easy, If you do decide to try out the 4.30s, run the 28" slick, this may give you the MPH & put you in the 10s.

I don't know what your trapping with the 26s & 3.91s, i'm sure its alot, when i ran a 26" slicks & 4.11s (not much diff. from 3.91s), i ran out of steam "bad" around the 1000 ft., get this lol, car ran 11.98 @ 98 :-D, ALL i did was install some 28" slicks & my 1st. pass the car ran 11.21 @ 119 8), all from just a tire change, & beleive it or not, my 60fts. "dropped" with the taller tire even though the car was hooking decent with the 26s, go figure :munky2:

Hey Scott, this guy, Lenweiler, on here runs mid to low 10s with his 65 stroker. There is clips on Youtube of the car. From what I know the car is not too far off of where you are at. He also runs at Grand bend. I love this car, if you have not already seen it (which I am sure you have) check it out set up wise.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7-NMHH0aY&feature=channel_page"]YouTube- 018[/ame]

you could stay at the light as long as you want. all the light is for is reaction time and of course having fun with your buds.

You're close, keep the 3.91 gear, shoot a 150 shot of nitrous, hit your 10-second quest, then sell me the nitrous kit cheap... Sounds like the perfect plan ;)

Scott, I still think you ar at the limits of your leaf/snubber rear suspension. Get the newest/widest slicks under there you can with a set of Cal-tracs and you might just gain that 60' tenth you need to break into the 10's. It was nice to visit again at new hamburg, hope you make it.

Well I,m thinking about squeezing a 29.5 slick in there(maxed out for room)and taking the CE slide-a-link off my 73 D.Sport.This might help get my 60 ft. lower than 1.56 and the tires will lower my rear ratio from 4.30 to 3.8??

What leaf springs are you running now? With a 4.30, I would think a 28" tall tire would be about optimum.

The spool will ET SLOWER than a sure grip with the same gears as the spool takes more power to turn than a sure grip...

I would experiment with an 11.20 car just the way it sits looking for that 10.99 before I would start changing something like gears/spool and tire size.

By experiment, I mean launch/shift RPM's, jets, squirters, timing, etc.

I added 2 degrees to our 416 stoker and went from 10.50 to 10.42. Then we ran the shifts out to 6,400 from 5,800 and went 10.33...and gained a full MPH to boot! Yea, a .17 gain from 2 little degrees and 600 more in the shifts.

.....The spool will ET SLOWER than a sure grip with the same gears as the spool takes more power to turn than a sure grip...

I don’t see how running a spool would slow the car down. I changed from a sure grip to a spool years ago. I don’t know the exact weight savings, but I know that my spool is VERY light (just a couple pounds) were as the sure grip unit that I pulled out was quite heavy (30+ pounds)….The weight savings alone are huge, not to mention SOLID, consistent traction on every pass.

Could you please elaborate on why a spool would slow your car?

Gears are cut based off a 27" tire diameter. So that means if you're runnin a shorter tire than 27" your effective ratio is lower than the gear you're runnin. somethin to keep in mind.

Scott,

Did you break 10's this past WE at the Bend? Let us know how you did. I've been busy changing fouled plugs and re-jetting the 850 Dp to run better on the street. 4.5 Pv and 80/88's, hope it works better I'll go from there....

-
Back