wilwood front disc brake conversion

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
Has anybody installed the Wilwood front brake disc conversion from 10 inch drums to Wilwood disc brake kit ?
I want to maintain the original 14 inch steel wheels with dogdish caps ...after the conversion .
Was there any caliper to inside wheel interference after conversion ?
What master cylinder did you use after conversion ?
Did you have to change proportioning valve ?

Thanks

RR, don't take this wrong, but the swap you're inquiring about isn't a very common swap. It's probably because anyone that spends the money for Wilwood stuff is more concerned with brake performance, where maximized rotor and pad surface area are maximized. Working within a 14" wheel limits your new brakes options/potential...

If you're going to keep the 14" wheels, you'd probably be happier (save some money) if you upgraded to the 10" discs for the original A-body's and upgrade to something like EBC's aggressive pads.

However, if you're determined to have the Wilwood stuff, I'd just give them a call. They do this stuff all the time and their website is very helpful as well.

Southernman

I did the conversion on my 68 Dart. You will NOT be able to use 14" wheels afterward. The will hit the calipers.

wilwoods will not work for me then ...
Will the 14 inch wheels work with the factory Kelsey Hayes disc brake setup ?
I cannot remember if all the factory Kelsey Hayes disc brake setup came with road wheels ... and not steel wheels with hubcaps ...

I am doing this within 2 weeks and I can let you know. I have been told this will work with my 14" rims could be the kit# and no proportioning valve just a new mc which I have the part number.Kit has been purchased and will be installed with my new motor.

Scamper PLEASE do keep me posted ... VERY interested to see if this will work with 14 sbp stock 14 X5.5 wheels .... and also what kit p/n..

THanks !

The stock 14 X 5 1/2 steel wheels will physically fit on the Wilwood hubs and spin freely. The problem I see is the wheel studs on the Wilwoods are 1/2" compared to the steels wheel's 7/16".

Can you install 7/16 studs on wilwood rotors that have 1/2 inch studs ?

The "studs" are actually bolts that screw in from the back side of the hub. Not sure if there is a solution to get a 7/16" stud.

I called SSBC... they have a W153 kit ... which includes calipers, rotors, hubs , master , variable proportioning valve , flex lines .. bolts/nuts kit for just over 1000... he stated that it should work with my SBP rims 14 inch , and use original spindles .. they do not recommend backing plates ... anybody use this kit ?

I put this kit on my '69 Dart and was very happy with it! The rotors are drilled for both bolt patterns. Very impressed with overall performance. 14" stock wheels fit fine.

BVT69dart ... which kit ... Wilwood or SSBC?
Either way you went from Front Drum to Disc ? Are you rims 14 X 5.5 sbp ? Did the new product rotors have 1/2 or 7/16 studs ?

I used the SSBC kit. 14 x 5.5 wheels fit on the front. The kit came with both 7/16th and 1/2" wheel studs.

• Old thread...I know.....Just hoping to find out how this conversion turned out. We have a "69 Barracuda that we want to upgrade from drums to manual front disk. We don't really want to change out our 14" dogdish wheels either. Wilwood says that their kit will not work due to the size of our current hub opening in the wheel being to small. Thinking that SSBC might be a better solution. Looking for some advice.
    Thanks

I converted mine on my 67 barracuda, I got a kit from ebay that worked very well, I asked the guy if I ever need lining or rotors or anything where to get it and he said any parts store just ask for Volore or aspen parts out of the 70s. The kit was like 500 and was easy ti install.

I converted mine on my 67 barracuda, I got a kit from ebay that worked very well, I asked the guy if I ever need lining or rotors or anything where to get it and he said any parts store just ask for Volore or aspen parts out of the 70s. The kit was like 500 and was easy ti install.
What was the of that company?

• Old thread...I know.....Just hoping to find out how this conversion turned out. We have a "69 Barracuda that we want to upgrade from drums to manual front disk. We don't really want to change out our 14" dogdish wheels either. Wilwood says that their kit will not work due to the size of our current hub opening in the wheel being to small. Thinking that SSBC might be a better solution. Looking for some advice.
    Thanks

SSBC kit a153 (manual disc kit) does work with 14 rims and is a very complete kit. I have this on my 71 Demon. I have ralley wheels on it but I tried the factory spare tire and it worked as well. I did learn one thing, an early A 14" rim from a 65 Cuda will not clear the disc brakes for some reason it had a smaller centre section. I have no pics with me as I'm away from home.

-
Back